“Great New Mexican”

Green Chile Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 249 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

This is a very good New Mexican style place. First the margarita was very good. Spicy with jalapeño. We had the chicken enchilada and pozole. All was very tasty.

Reviewed May 7, 2017

I loved the green chile margareta, fish tacos, salsa and chips. Already craving this place and was just there for Cinco de Mayo. I typically don't care for fancy Mexican restaurants but this food was so yummy. Already telling my friends about it.

Reviewed April 23, 2017

We stopped by for an early dinner because of the convenient location and were pleasantly surprised by the nice ambiance and delicious food.

They have small plates and larger dishes with southwestern flavors. The wine choices were adequate and the prices were reasonable.

Service was attentive without being intrusive, Well worth a return visit!

Reviewed March 18, 2017 via mobile

We gathered here for a dinner celebration and the service was terrible. Now, the staff seemed nice, but apologies can only go so far. First, it took the server almost 25 minutes to pay attention to us and to flag them down. We order guacamole and chips and that took 15/20 minutes to arrive to our table. It took another 20 minutes for us to get the servers attention to take our order. We ordered a refill on chips and again it took so long. We even asked several servers. Finally, we got another basket of chips after waiting so long we were afraid to asked if we can have some more salsa as well, but when we did the server wanted to charge us... really! The servers really were not paying attention. We waited a little over 45 minutes for our meal which is ridiculous. My husband ordered a combination plate which I believe was around $20 and I noticed that the plate was badly chipped all the way around. What so called "upscale Tex-Mex" restaurant serves food on broken plates. Seriously, you can cut your finger around such jagged edges. I should have taken a picture, but I was so disappointment with the presentation. When we asked to see Ted "the manager" he was so arrogant and cocky about the whole thing. He was trying to explain that they can't keep track of all the dishes that break and that their plates come from a good quality place... really... that's what your going to say. I don't care where the plates were made. The plate was badly chipped around, And really that's not the point. Food of that quality should not be served on broken plates, who is overseeing the food that gets plated and sent to the patron. Ted was so arrogant, I felt as if he really did not care how long we waited for the food, the broken plate, nothing. No one even bothered to come by and ask us how we were doing how the food was, nothing. We chose Green Chile Kitchen in San Rafael because it had such great reviews and we thought what a great place to have a family gathering and celebrate a birthday and a wedding proposal. The food was good. But what put a sour taste in our mouths was the service and how the manager made us feel. Granted they did remove the appetizer we ordered and the corkage fee from our bill, But even that would not make us return. The service, wait time and management attitude needs improvement.

Lines for the evening:
Server: "let me asked the "manager" what we can do for you"

*Manager: let me ask the "server" what we can do for you"

Reviewed March 13, 2017

Green Chile has become my new favorite restaurant in San Rafael, California. I have been there with family and friends at least six times. The food which is similar to Mexican food is delicious. Most of the time the service has been very good. On Saturday night I ordered two crispy blue tacos filled with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. For the filling there is a choice of meats or vegetarian. The tacos are accompanied by a rice and a choice of black, pinto or refried beans. One of the people at the table ordered a beef filled burrito and another a vegetarian enchilada. We split a delicious peace of strawberry pie.
Even though the restaurant was filled to capacity the noise level was low enough so that it was easy to hold a conversation.
The restaurant is open every day for both lunch and dinner. Reservations for dinner on the weekends are highly advised.