Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Hearst Castle
from US$139.00
from US$169.00
from US$456.00
6,271 results
All reviews grand rooms tour visitor center neptune pool indoor pool the cottages upstairs tour tour guide the kitchen mr hearst casa grande the main house night tour multiple tours minute movie tennis courts basic tour dining room
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I think it best to understand a bit of the history before you take a tour. If you don't have time to do some reading ahead of time I'd suggest you see the movie before your tour. The amount of art and architectural pieces brought over from Europe is amazing. This was a never ending work of love, of art and nature.
In March 2018 Hwy. 1 coming south from the Monterey area is closed by a landslide. The day we went was overcast and there were few visitors. We'd taken the main tours in years past. This time we took the guest houses,kitchen and wine cellar tour. We were able to get tickets at site and our group was very small. I think planning ahead is the best for the time of year for your visit. Check the web site for closures and weather conditions. Getting there early to view the movie, take a tour, break for lunch and then an afternoon tour is very doable with planning.

Enjoy a step back into time.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

My 17 year old son loves history and the Hearst Castle is full of it.
We were staying in Morro Bay California with my son, my 82 year old dad and my wife's 80 year old mom. One of the days we spent at the Hearst Castle, we took the grounds and grand room tour, there were some stairs but mom and dad handled the tour with out any problems. I thought my son would be bored to death but later he said it was his favorite part of the trip to the central coast of California. The grand rooms and the art work was great but the grounds and the view was well worth the trip.
I would recommend taking one of the tours if you have the time.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

My fiance and i visited Hearst Castle on our New Years trip. I have been many times but, it was a first for my boyfriend! It was perfect weather... we did the basic tour (the tour they recommend for 1st timers) and my boyfriend enjoyed it so much... we rode the bus back down and bought tickets for a 2nd tour!! We had lunch in the courtyard, watched the movie and went on our 2nd tour! It was so interesting and the tourguides do an amazing job and are very friendly and informative! We have already discussed going back to complete the rest of the tours!!! I recommend this 100%... it might be tough for little ones as you need to stay in designated areas while in the houses and no touching! I have taken my young teens and they loved it! Always a great day at Hearst Castle!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We have always wanted to see Hearst Castle and we finally did a couple of weeks ago! We found their website to be really helpful and we took the tour that they suggested for first timers! Our guide was Andrew Haney and he did a fantastic job!! Because of Andrew we will come back and take another tour!!

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We decided to drive to Paso Robles to do wine tours and decided to add this to our touring schedule and we are very happy we did.

We devoted a day to this tour and advance planning was well rewarded. We decided that we would only do two tours in one day. We selected the Grand Rooms Tour and the Upstairs Suites Tours. We read that we should watch the 40 minute video prior to heading up to the castle and that is very good advice.
Our timeline was as follows:
Arrive at 9:15am, exchange our tickets for wristbands, 9:30am for the video. Our first tour was at 10:40 so we made sure we were in line for the bus up at 10:30am. Tours are 60 minutes so we booked our second tour for 12:35pm. This gave us time to tour the gardens and take pictures before the next tour. A little more exploring the grounds and we were on the bus down to the gift shop. This was a full day for us. You can have lunch onsite at the Information Centre/Gift Show at the bottom of the mountain.

NOTE: We read that it is best to buy tickets in advance during peak times so we did. We had full access to all tours doing it online. The website is very clear that there is a $8 fee extra per ticket to book online. You can arrive and purchase tickets onsite, however some tours may be full. So if you are flexible and go during non peak times you will save some money.

We were in awe of the vision, passion and thought that went into building this Castle. The grandeur of this castle cannot be described in words, seeing is the only way to experience it. It is a tribute to family and a work of love.
It has been well preserved and the guides are very knowledgeable and welcome all questions. At no time do you feel that they are working from a script, they all have their own stories to share.

5  Thank Cheryl R