“Washburn - Really Neat Campground”

San Simeon State Park
Ranked #6 of 15 things to do in San Simeon
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We recently just got back from a trip up to San Simeon. We decided to camp. I have been to the lower campground before and decided that we would save 15 bucks and night and camp at the more primitive sites above at Washburn. Besides the Washburn seems more like real camping to me. The campsites were not primitive at all in my opinion. Each included a fire pit, table, and some have running water. The only thing that can be considered a little edgy is the pit style toilet- but they were kept really clean and not scary at all.

Our campsite was really nice.... Surrounded by trees on all sides. There are amazing views of the ocean, and the hills at this campground. We spent a lot of time just sitting by the fire taking in the scenery. Also it is a great campground for wildlife. We saw tons of animals on our trip- Turkey Vulture, Hawks, Steller Jays, Weasels, Squirrels, Deer, Snowy Plovers, and Zebra to name a few! The little squirrels come right up to you too. They are pretty cute! The only time when animal life was a little too much was late at night when the coyotes decided to have a howling match in our campground one night. That was kind of scary but they were only there for about five minutes before moving through.

There is also a really pretty hiking trail at the campsite that travels through the forest. Along the trail you pass through a forest that looks like something in a fairytale. The trail ends down by the beach.

Overall great camping- we will totally be going back!

17  Thank bluebondy
in 23 reviews
"campers"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2011

first of all, on the plus side, the camp site was very clean and the staff were very friendly. On the down side the campsites at the front of the park were extremely close together- My boyfriend and I were first given a site that was next to the bathroom, but top it off our fire ring was literally 4 ft from it. They were nice to move us to another site (wouldn't complain if were just passing through, but were looking for more of a camping experience) which was much better than the first, but we actually had a hard time deciding where to put our tent so that it wasn't within a few feet of our neighbors.

The campsite is right off of the 101 highway- on the opposite side of the ocean. The lower campsites are literally right below the interstate, and although they have a lot more of what you would expect when camping, the interstate was an eye and ear sore. Not really any paths, but we did see a sign for hiking which cost so much money per person. More desert like than woods like.

We ended up walking under the interstate which was very close, but slightly dirty.

Overall- I guess I had expected a more outdoorsy type of camping, so if you are looking for beginner camping this is a great place to start! Again the campsite was very clean, especially the bathrooms and the other campers were also very friendly, clean and went to bed before 10pm (which I found odd actually). Also, they offer a wheel barrel full of wood for $10..decent price- the local liquor store up the highway offers a small load for $5

4  Thank hellosugarlips
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed there 1 night while on a motorcycle trip up highway 1. It was Easter weekend so it was crowded, but it was clean & everyone was nice. Pay showers & clean toilets.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I took my daughter to visit Hearst Castle for her birthday in September. We had heard, and read a lot, about the castle and were both so excited. We purchased the first time tour tickets as advised. We thought we would see a little more of the castle. I was disappointed that we had to purchase more tickets for more tour time. The tour did not last as long as it described. What we saw was lovely, and the tour guide was very nice and knowledgeable, but I would like to have gotten more for my money. It is worth going if you are going to be in the area, but do not make a special trip.

1  Thank Pickleroo
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We had 4 adults and 4 kids and we had plenty of room! There is a real neighborhood feel. The kids went riding their bikes all over the camp ground and were completely safe. Every site in San Simeon loop has a picnic table and a fire pit ready to go. The location is great! 5 minute walk to the beach. The town of Cambria is only 2 miles away. Firewood is sold on the premises.

I was COMPLETELY amazed and relieved for the hot showers and the SUPER clean bathrooms. I know that they clean the bathrooms at least twice a day. We are definately going back next year!

3  Thank SOCALMOM1