Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Okay for boon-docking, but no cell coverage & you do not get the spot you reserved online

Overall, a fine state park that is ~15-20 minute drive to Hearst Castle. Lots of trees in the park... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
ERColr
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Best camp hosts in all of California. Or anywhere.

The hospitality we recieved from Harry and Janet was top of the line. Very nice people, genuinely... read more

Reviewed September 7, 2018
KP_KM2018
Bellingham, Washington
via mobile

All reviews lower campground creek campground hearst castle buy firewood would stay here again great camping elephant seals call ahead hiking trails photo ops make reservations the pacific ocean walking path pismo beach central coast sites campers
Reviewed July 18, 2011

first of all, on the plus side, the camp site was very clean and the staff were very friendly. On the down side the campsites at the front of the park were extremely close together- My boyfriend and I were first given a site that was next to the bathroom, but top it off our fire ring was literally 4 ft from it. They were nice to move us to another site (wouldn't complain if were just passing through, but were looking for more of a camping experience) which was much better than the first, but we actually had a hard time deciding where to put our tent so that it wasn't within a few feet of our neighbors.

The campsite is right off of the 101 highway- on the opposite side of the ocean. The lower campsites are literally right below the interstate, and although they have a lot more of what you would expect when camping, the interstate was an eye and ear sore. Not really any paths, but we did see a sign for hiking which cost so much money per person. More desert like than woods like.

We ended up walking under the interstate which was very close, but slightly dirty.

Overall- I guess I had expected a more outdoorsy type of camping, so if you are looking for beginner camping this is a great place to start! Again the campsite was very clean, especially the bathrooms and the other campers were also very friendly, clean and went to bed before 10pm (which I found odd actually). Also, they offer a wheel barrel full of wood for $10..decent price- the local liquor store up the highway offers a small load for $5

4  Thank hellosugarlips
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed there 1 night while on a motorcycle trip up highway 1. It was Easter weekend so it was crowded, but it was clean & everyone was nice. Pay showers & clean toilets.

1  Thank easyeric601
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I took my daughter to visit Hearst Castle for her birthday in September. We had heard, and read a lot, about the castle and were both so excited. We purchased the first time tour tickets as advised. We thought we would see a little more of the castle. I was disappointed that we had to purchase more tickets for more tour time. The tour did not last as long as it described. What we saw was lovely, and the tour guide was very nice and knowledgeable, but I would like to have gotten more for my money. It is worth going if you are going to be in the area, but do not make a special trip.

1  Thank Pickleroo
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We had 4 adults and 4 kids and we had plenty of room! There is a real neighborhood feel. The kids went riding their bikes all over the camp ground and were completely safe. Every site in San Simeon loop has a picnic table and a fire pit ready to go. The location is great! 5 minute walk to the beach. The town of Cambria is only 2 miles away. Firewood is sold on the premises.

I was COMPLETELY amazed and relieved for the hot showers and the SUPER clean bathrooms. I know that they clean the bathrooms at least twice a day. We are definately going back next year!

4  Thank SOCALMOM1
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Me & my family just stood there Aug 5-6 had a great time we stood in our travel trailer there was plenty of space there was even room for tents. The restrooms were very clean! I would stay here again! DON'T FORGET YOUR FLASHLIGHT