“Cockroach, Dead Mouse, Pubic Hair...NIGHTMARE!”

Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Cockroach, Dead Mouse, Pubic Hair...NIGHTMARE!”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Went on vacation with my wife and stayed at this OLD hotel because of proximity to a friend's place. During our first stay, the room was generally fine however finding a live cockroach in the bathroom gave my phobic wife a big scare. The receptionist at the time said it was the first time they had any pests and promised to spray the room for insects.

We went away for a couple of nights to another city and returned for our second spell at the same hotel arriving at midnight. There was no one to help with the bags and I had to get a trolley and load it with all the bags myself. As soon as we opened the room door, we were greeted by a dead mouse in the middle of the room. Upon informing the receptionist, the lady said it was the first time they had such an incident and said she will try to find another room non-chalantly as if this was a "normal" thing to face. There was only one available room, that required a 10 minutes walk from the lobby, which again I had to push my luggage to. Even though it was supposed to be non-smoking, the room smell was "smoky, stale, and stenchy". My wife called the reception to have housekeeping check the room for pests and cleanliness but the lady just mentioned that they don't do that and hung up the phone on her. The bathtub had pubic hair so ultimately I told my wife that we should look for another hotel.

After pushing the luggage back to the lobby, I told the lady to call the manager but she simply said: "I don't want to disturb her." I told her that the manager needs to come to the hotel immediately to resolve this problem of no proper room availability where my Ambassador status with IC hotels seemed completely irrelevant to the hotel staff. I informed her to cancel the booking and was able to book at candlewood suite hotel nearby for 3 nights but not for the night as it had already passed midnight. Finally, a caring person called Khaled showed up, said that he was very sorry to what happened to us and that the manager offered 1 night on the hotel expense at another hotel. The hotel was trying to find below-par hotels in the neighborhood but they were all full. I told him that there was no other than the hilton at 150$ a night and the manager agreed to pay for only 1 night! In such a situation, I would have expected the hotel cover my entire 4-night stay but were too cheap to do so.

In the end, it was my worst stay ever at a hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. Khaled turned out to be the only decent staff who cared enough to help us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kertheh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The staff was very nice, the meeting room was clean and refreshed appropriately. The food was fine for the price point of the Hotel. The service made our stay great, specifically, Lorrie in the bar, she got my food to me quickly when I had not planned ahead (twice) other servers may have been annoyed with me, with cause, but not here, the entire staff was very efficient and friendly. I wish I had time to get in the pool, it looked great. My room was huge and clean.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Illinois
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Stayed here for a week due to work training, the room was clean and the price was reasonable. The staff was extremley courteous and accomodating. The location is central to all that Orange County offers. I would defnately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
AFOMLeahS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments. We cannot wait to have you back in the future!
Vadodara, India
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Hotel Holiday Inn, nice hotel for business travelers. Hotel offered me an excellent clean room facing swimming pool. In my package breakfast was included with free beverages in the evening. Dinner was not having much choices for me nor i was taking it in the night at hotel.

The best part of this hotel was staff, they were very-very friendly & supportive. They helped me a lot as i was new in this region & spent more than 15 days at this place. I have no regret to mention.
Some minor issues are every where, that should be minimise on continuous improvements.

My best wishes for Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
AFOMLeahS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
We are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay with us here at the Holiday Inn – Orange County Airport! It is fantastic that you had the opportunity to enjoy all the wonderful amenities our hotel provides, especially from our Panini restaurant and bar. Our staff strives to make every guest’s stay the best it can possibly be. We are also very excited about the renovations our hotel has recently gone through. Our newly decorated rooms have 32 inch flat screen TVs with DirecTV now! We hope to have the pleasure of you coming come back and enjoying them very soon.
Iwakuni, Japan
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The building looks decent from outside but once you come inside, you can tell the wear and tear. It seems like the entire building has been somewhat affected by an earthquake since there are so many uneven/craked floor surface. The carpets looks old and dark. There is no smell stale yet, but it's getting there.

For $120/day, the breakfast was dissapointing. Each morning something was always wrong with the breakfast. First day, the hot water for tea was luke warm. The second day, no waiter/waitress came to serve. So I had no coffee. Third day, some of the breakfast items were empty. I stopped going to breakfast and bought my own for the remaining 4 days. It was dissappointing to say the least.

They do have a small gym, self-pay laudry room, a small pool, and other ammenities. Value wise, I would only say it's worth half the price they're charging. Of all the Holiday Inn Express I've been to, this one is the worst in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank spearfishmarine
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The room we stayed in was clean and there was ample parking. Lots of places to dine and shop nearby. Was disappointed that it did not have free breakfast to start our day. We ended up spending $30 for breakfast. Breakfast was ok although the staff did not offer a kids meal which was free...gave us a regular menu so ended up paying...we did not know it at that time but they did. Will look for another hotel next time....for the price we paid it should have had a free breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank axela14
HolidayInnSantaAna, Manager at Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
We are very proud of how clean and convenient our hotel is and appreciate your comments. I will certainly speak to our restaurant servers about making sure to offer kids menus when an adult is purchasing a meal. We look forward to seeing you again.
Moorpark, California
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Friendly staff and inviting if small lobby area. The benefits for Priority Club members are more generous than many Holiday Inns offer, so you don't have to be a platinum-level member to enjoy a good complimentary breakfast and relax with a beverage in the evening.

Rooms were large with a respectable work space. The only negative on the room was in the bathroom - the toilet paper is placed oddly far from the toilet. A child wouldn't be able to reach. Nicer toiletries.

Adequate fitness center with a selection of cardio equipment.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
AFOMLeahS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and the benefits of being a loyal Priority Club member! I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ana
3.3 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Irvine / Orange County Airport
Best Western Plus Orange County Airport North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Santa Ana Orange County Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Santa Ana-Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!