All reviews country house oreos wine and cheese cheese spread state street california bistro crackers oreo cookie cookies and milk two blocks continental breakfast the main house hard boiled eggs bagels the main drag grounds are beautiful downtown santa barbara
Reviewed March 24, 2018

I had my third opportunity to stay at this wonderful, historic hotel and country house. Built in 1871, the hotel is filled with charm and the warmth of the 1800s. There is a living room with a fireplace keeping you warm. Each room has kept its vintage style and they are a very nice sized. There are single rooms and cottages and a lovely lawn with seating to just enjoy the peaceful setting. Each morning a small continental breakfast is offered and each evening there is wine and cheese. And I can't forget the lovely porch. One additional feature is the convenient location walking distance to State Street shops and restaurants. I look forward to my next visit.

Room tip: If you struggle with steps, ask for a first floor room as there are no elevators
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2018

My husband and I stayed at the Upham Hotel from Jan 12-31st. We can't say enough about the graciousness of the staff, the comfort and understated elegance, and convenience to explore downtown. The buffet breakfast and wine and cheese beside the fire in the afternoon were wonderful. My favorite was the cookies and milk set out at night. The gardens are beautiful. Everything is buffed and polished everyday. It was a very trying time in Santa Barbara because of the back to back fires/flood. The staff were amazing- grace under pressure. We will return again because it is one of the best run hotels we have ever stayed in and a perfect location to enjoy and explore downtown Santa Barbara!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2018

We recently visited The Upham Hotel in Santa Barbara. It is very charming, welcoming and has a feel of the old world elegance. At the main hotel, a lavish cold breakfast is served each morning, and they even include yummy hot oatmeal. The pastries are delicious and hard to resist. There are comfortable chairs and tables adorning the outside area. We highly recommend this getaway.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2018

I wish I could give this hotel 5 stars for the history alone! The main house is adorable- it's like walking into an old time house, full of furniture, a roaring fireplace, and all the conveniences of visiting someone at home. I was there during Christmas time, and the decorations really made me feel like I had left my home of Santa Barbara and gone back to the days of the original founding of the hotel.

The staff is great- sweet and knowledgeable. The breakfast offered is simple, but it gets the jobs done. Juices, oatmeal, fruits, pastries, bagels. There's an afternoon wine and cheese set up, and a nighttime offering of oreos and milk.

The yard is well maintained, and it adds to the cottage feel. I'm not sure why some reviews mention a bad parking situation- there's more than enough parking for a fully booked hotel.

The room itself was clean, small, nicely furnished. A small fireplace in the room helped the cottage atmosphere, as did the private patio. My only reason to downgrade from a 5-star review to a 4-star review is the room felt too standard- like a run of the mill inn or hotel room, instead of keeping with the old time feel of the hotel.

Overall, a great place to stay. I lived in SB for years and I absolutely will continue to stay in this little hidden gem for my future stays.

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed January 6, 2018

Stayed at the Country House which is very convenient to wandering State Street. It's an old Victorian home converted to a B&B. Interesting innkeeper, nice basket in room (1/2 wine bottle, bag of cookies, bag of nuts), breakfast (hot entree, pastries, & typical cold items). Weird room set-up in that the bathroom sink wasn't actually in the bathroom but across the room on the other side of the bed.

Date of stay: December 2017