All reviewsthousand trailsminiature golfcovered wagonspaghetti dinnerlos padresstone lodgewild turkeysnational forestwestern villagedude ranchlake cachumafull hookupsping pongsanta ynezwine tastingtri tipwi fi
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had an event planned at Rancho Oso that was canceled due to the Santa Barbara wildfire and highway closures. We stayed on regardless - and could not have been more impressed with both the surroundings and the helpfulness of the staff.

If you are looking for a getaway, family reunion or event destination - this place has it. Unbeatable scenery. Quiet, orderly camp areas (RV, tent or cabin rental), even food service on site.

We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Rancho Oso in late January 2009, and camped with our two horses for two nights. While the facilities were nice and nearby trails were amazing, we were disappointed with the rather surly staff and felt many times as if we (paying guests) were intruding on the staffs' quiet winter months.

Positives: Clean restrooms, clean campsites, amazing scenery, allows pets and horses, hot showers and lodge

Negatives: With a couple of exceptions, the staff was abrupt and even at times rude, raccoons raided our campsite nightly, lack of hookups for horse campers, campsites too close together

Suggestion: Stay at the horse camp at Upper Oso campground 2 miles away for $20/night with even more beautiful scenery and pleasant staff. You'll miss the hot showers but the campground at Upper Oso is clean, quiet and serene.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank jenwil10001
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Two other couples, my wife and I and our seven horses descended on Rancho Oso for a weekend of horse camping. There were pipe stalls for the horses and RV hook ups for us. It was a great weekend away. The riding trails were nice. Perfect cool riding weather. To top it all off, we would drive ½ hour into Santa Ynez each night for wine tasting and dinner. Just a great time.

Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank david b
Reviewed August 30, 2004

My family joined Thousand Trails in June and we have gone back almost every other weekend this summer with lots of family and friends. We have 3 kids (5, 9, and 14 years old). Lots of activities to keep the kids busy, safe for them to ride their bikes and play flashlight tag with the other kids at the site, and still spent lots of time at the pool. Best thing was the very clean bathrooms and hot showers. All the staff were friendly and accomodating, from the security guards, activities director, pool monitors, sales staff, and cleaning crew - most live on site so you can tell there's lots of pride in their work/home. They watered the roads daily to keep the dust down, the pricing at the store was reasonable, and most of all, my kids "want" to keep coming back with their friends.

9  Thank Wander35221
Reviewed August 15, 2004

We stayed 2 nights Aug 10th in a cabin. It was clean and basic - double bed, bunk bed, frig, table and 3 chairs, fan, electricity, 2 chairs on porch, charcoal grill and a picnic table. Bathrooms were 50 ft away - just like camping but with free showers. There's no daily maid service. This is a very glorified version of "camping". It's a membership club with the cabins and covered wagons open to the public. Most people stay in campers and a few in tents. There were also covered wagons with 4 cots - but they don't have electicity and I think it would be hot at night. (The ceiling fan was enough for us). My kids ages 4 and 7 loved it!! The place is way off the main road and in a gated community. I could let my son "explore" and did not worry at all. I would not let him do this at home without being under my watchful eye. There are 5 cabins and families tend to stay there. The weekends have lots of organized activities for the kids. There are also 2 pools, basketball, tennis, playground, pool, ping pong, etc on the grounds. I would highly recommend this place for anyone with kids. But even if you don't have kids, the place is big enough that it doesn't feel overrun by kids. There also have an adults only recreation building. Oh yeah, you can have trail rides too but my kids don't like horses. We didn't have time with all the other activities available.

10  Thank traveling_mom-Boston