“Always a great night sleep”
Review of Mason Beach Inn

Mason Beach Inn
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We visit Santa Barbara at leat three times a year and have found this hotel to always fit the bill. The rooms are spacious (we always ask for the upstairs overlooking the pool) and the frontdesk personnel are always kind and helpful. The continental breakfast is always fresh and the pool area is always kept clean. Two blocks from the beach and around the corner from the original Sambos restaurant on the beach. The price is always very competative and well worth the stay. We have tried many other hotels in the area (some very expensive) and this one seems to fit our needs very well.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mitchall m
There are newer reviews for Mason Beach Inn

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We spent one night there after leaving another motel because it was loaded with ants. They accomodated us late at night and were very nice. The rooms were very clean and very attractive. They had a refrigerator and microwave and the bathrooms and carpet were clean. We hated to leave the next day and wish we would have checked in there before the first motel. We will definetly stay there again and for more than one day. The price was less than all the others we called. We stayed on the first floor (Room 110)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Veronica T
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We decided to take the train up from LA for the weekend for some much-needed R&R. The motel is maybe 3-4 blocks away from the train station and a nice walk through a residential neighborhood. The places we went to were all very close by - Sambo's, the pier, State Street and the arts & crafts fair along the water on Sunday morning.

Maybe we're not light sleepers, but we didn't seem to have issues with noise - maybe because there weren't as many kids staying the weekend we were there? Or maybe it was all the wide imbibed after a long day of tasting up in Santa Ynez =)

Room Tip: Upstairs and towards the back (or the suites) are the better rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank STsai78
Reviewed 19 February 2012

First of all the walls are paper thin! We were on the top floor. It is an inside hallway. You can hear what each person is saying as they are tromping down the hall. To get in and out of the hall there is a door that slams each time a person goes in and out. The doors on the rooms are a hollow core door with no insulation and no seal around the doors so that is not a barrier for noise either! Also hear water running in walls and others showers and toilets flushing. Beds are not comfortable. NO GOOD SLEEP THIS WEEKEND!

The rooms are very out dated. Look at the room pics on this site thats what you get. The rooms appear clean at first but as you stay you realize not so much. The colors of the carpet, bedspread and couch make them look clean at first but they are covering a unclean room. I put on white socks when I got in bed, got up four times to walk across floor and the bottom of my socks were filthy.

The "breakfast" is a joke! We went down to breakfast at 8:30am and everything was almost gone and they did not restock. Plus it really was a poor breakfast. Juice, coffee, fruit loops and rice crispies, hot cereal packets toast and oranges. We went out to eat! No money savings their!

I don't care how anyone else rates this Inn but I would deffinately not stay here again and would advise the same! There are better places in town!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Rngirl87
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This hotel has a great location and so starts off with a real advantage but misses so many opportunities to excel. The air conditioning in our room was very noisy and one of the 2 casement windows didn't work. Beds are average at best. The fence around the pool is sloppily maintained. The breakfast is completely mediocre: choice is limited and the amount of food available is stingy. We sat outside by the pool for breakfast, which would have been lovely except the manager not so nicely told us the pool was closed until 10AM. It isn't necessary to make your guests feel like criminals to make your point. All these things are fixable if the willingness to do so is there, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank 886,886
MasonBeach, General Manager at Mason Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is amazing when one believes he has a good handle on his business and then receives a review such as yours. A review which clearly indicates that we must further the education of certain employees as it relates to attention to detail and the practice of true customer service.
There is absolutely no excuse for the incidents you relay in your review. I intend to take immediate action to ensure that other guests are not subjected to the inconveniences and lack of proper service you describe.
Thank you again for your input. If I may be of any further service to you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed at the Mason Beach Inn from Aug 9-12, 2011. We chose this place due to the quiet area, central location, and within walking distance to just about everything. However, it’s a bit pricy for one bed. The bed was a standard king bed with awful pillows, refrigerator and microwave. The room was ok in size, clean, with a table and 2 chairs; a desk with chair and coffee maker. The AC/cooler was noisy and only had one temperature. It would take a very long time before it kicked in again. I didn’t matter if one turned it off and on; it remained off until after two or three hours. The free continental breakfast it is just a snack, it is not a real breakfast (coffee, OJ, milk, 2 kinds of cereals, bread, muffins and croissants). The front desk people were ok. Other than that it was an ok stay. However, a huge concern here, things DISAPPEARED!!….. Do NOT leave expensive perfumes or any other expensive item in the room. The two young cleaning gals seemed to be onto everything and go through everything in your luggage!! I made the mistake of forgetting my Chanel perfume, more than half full bottle, in the room and it DISAPPEARED the FIRST day I left the hotel (everything else that was expensive –camera, video camera, lap top, psp games, etc – we took with us every time we left the hotel). The next day I kept looking for my perfume in my bags, luggage, car, etc., but it did not turn up anywhere. I also checked the room and every possible place I might have place it but nothing. I was not pleased at all and it was extremely disappointing!! As soon as I got back home, I looked for the perfume everywhere in my house. I was still giving the Mason Inn employees the benefit of the doubt……To this day, I still cannot find my perfume. I have one word for those maids, “Karma.”

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sk K

Dear Guest,

I certainly agree that all of the items you mentioned in your letter are totally unacceptable. After consulting with our management staff regarding your review, I was informed that none of these problems were brought to our attention during your stay. Given the fact that hotel operation can consist of several employees, there is a margin for "human error". While mistakes can occur in any hotel, what sets a good hotel apart is the manner in which it reacts to those mistakes. Unfortunately, we were unable to improve your situation as we were not given the opportunity, having been unaware of your displeasure until we received your letter.

I have personally checked with our Security and Housekeeping Departments and most regrettably, the efforts have we have undertaken to recover the perfume bottle you described, have not achieved success, nor has any evidence been uncovered which would indicate the cause of this loss. Information on recovered items is recorded in our lost and found log and you will be contacted immediately in the event your property is found. In the meanwhile, please do not hesitate to contact us if we may provide you with further information or assistance.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed at Mason Beach Inn on a Thursday night in August 2011. We chose the Inn primarily because of its location: on a side street near the train station. We chose to go car-free on this trip and arrived by train and the Inn is just a ten minute walk from the station.
The side street location reduced traffic noise from the busy waterfront and provided us a quiet and relaxing stay. It's just a short block to pickup the waterfront bus shuttle which was very convenient for us. We loved swimming in the pool located in a pretty courtyard, overlooked by a large palm tree that was home to an acorn woodpecker who serenaded us. The staff were kind enough to permit us to stash our luggage after we checked out so we could visit the city without big bags, and return to collect them in time for our train departure in the late afternoon. We stayed in a room with a king sized bed, a refrigerator and microwave. The room was large enough and clean. I found the bed so comfortable I had a delicious nine-hour sleep. We were completely satisfied with our stay. The only minor complaint I had was the somewhat limited seating in the breakfast area/lobby. If you have breakfast during "rush hour" it can feel a little crowded.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple