“Suffering”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Suffering”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Business travelers looking for a decent setup may be interested in this hotel but honestly, you can probably find something better for the price. The bed is comfortable, the hotel is conveniently located near restaurants and the expressway. The parking arrangement is good.

The problem with Plaza Suites is the quality of the room.

Cheapness abounds.

The coffee pots are there as they should be, but they are junk models and prone to spew hot coffee all over the flimsy drawer they sit on. The room came with an iron and ironing board, but the cheapest possible junk that money can buy. The ironing board collapsed within a few minutes of use. The iron leaked hot water all over the clothes from the filling spout. The toilet seat was new but loose.

The staff is very friendly and the maid service was good.

The morning breakfast tasted pretty good, but the layout of the breakfast restaurant is poor. As you are getting your food, you'll be constantly colliding with people and staff trying to make their way in and out. Too cramped.

The room came with a wired and wireless internet and they do charge for access. The network cable in our room was broke and useless. The wireless internet is pretty slow and suffered an extended outage one of the days I was there. Again, it has the features but it's just cheesy and poorly executed.

Room Tip: With primary access to your room via the lobby, I'd recommend a room near the center of the hote...
8 Thank Colorado53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Hawaii
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When I was looking for a hotel in the area my main concern was a hotel with a shuttle.
I was told there was a shuttle so I booked a room. Exactly two weeks before I arrived I called to confirm my stay and that the shuttle was still available for the morning I leave. I told the lady on the phone that my flight departs at 7am and was told not to worry.
During check in I asked for a wakeup call at 5am and wanted to confirm the shuttle would be there at 5:30am. I was told by the gentleman at the desk that there was no shuttle until 6:30am normally but on Saturdays it doesn't begin until 7am.
It was upsetting considering I confirmed the shuttle multiple times and was told not to worry. I asked the gentleman to have a cab called for me at 5:30am which he said he would do.
While I was on my way to my room I actually had to push aside a large pile of dirty bed linens or step over them to get to continue down the hall to my room. Later on my way out I kicked them out of the way.
What kind of hotel and responsible management/housekeepers allow their dirty laundry to be thrown into the hallways with no one around to pick them up for a half of an hour? GROSS!
Just before I went to sleep I tried to call to confirm my wakeup call and that there would be a car waiting for me. When I dialed I could hear the person but they could not hear me so I had to get dressed and go to the front desk. When I arrived I asked another gentleman to confirm to me that I had a wakeup call at 5:30 and that I would have a car waiting. He told me there is a wakeup call but had no record of me wanting a car!!! So he told me he would make sure that would happen.
I told the gentleman about the phone (he told me there was another other phone in the other room) and about the coffee maker that was unable to make coffee. He offered to send someone up to fix the problems. I was ready to go to sleep and not wanting someone poking around my room for as long as it would take to fix problems and it wasn't anything terribly important.

At exactly 3am the phone rang and the recording told me this was a wakeup call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I called down and told another gentleman my wakeup call was for 5am! He apologized and said OK.

At exactly 4:05am the phone rang again and the recording told me this was a wakeup call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........AGAIN!!!

Now I can not go back to sleep because I'm worried I may not get the wakeup call I actually asked for.
When I checked out an hour and a half later a new person at the desk could only apologize and he looked at the wakeup call list. I could see the list as well and pointed out to him that next to my room number the time for the wakeup call had been scratched out and the new time for 4am was written but not for 5am. Good thing I didn't go back to sleep otherwise I would have missed my flight because of the staffs absolute incompetence or carelessness.
The only redeeming quality was the bed it was fabulous. Too bad I couldn't enjoy it fully.

Room Tip: Be cautious confirm and reconfirm!!!!!!!! when wanting something from these people who work at this...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank skiison8
PlazaSuitesMgmt, Front Office Manager at The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
I am sorry to hear that your experience at the hotel was not what you expected. I would like to discuss your stay further and have you return. We appreciate your candid review and the opportunity to improve our customer service. Please contact the hotel as we would like an opportunity to win back you business. I can be reached at (408)350-4148
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My stay included a free breakfast with eggs made to order, not the usual processed eggs and basic carbohydrate fair. Received also coupons for three free drinks a night at the bar. The room was very comfortable and the entire hotel is very clean. Although I did not eat dinner at the hotel, there are many eateries within minutes of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from Highway 101
Newark, California
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I wanted to spend a night away from home and found that Plaza Suites had a special "Romance Package". It included the suite, 2 movie tickets (theater right across the freeway), champagne, welcome amenity (ours was a delicious plate of cheese and fruit delivered to our room), happy hour drinks, and cooked-to-order breakfast, all for a great price. We thought, why not. Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. The staff attentive and friendly. The breakfast hot and delicious (waffles, pancakes, omelets, sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal, etc). Overall, a great, quick getaway where we felt our money was well spent!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This hotel was a pleasant surprise.

The Good:
- Good value (and yes, the rooms were still very well done)
- Good location (close to a bunch of offices in the Silicon Valley)
- Close enough to the San Jose airport (15 min drive with little traffic)
- Pretty good breakfast selection

The Bad:
- No restaurants/shops close by

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here whilst on business. The rooms are not particularly impressive, but the staff were in general very helpful. I had walked to a nearby restaurant to grab a light meal, on the way back a passing member of staff (reception manager I believe) offered me a lift in their car. The barman (Anthony) was exceptional, and also the housekeeping staff were very good. So - clean, quiet, if uninspiring rooms, but above average staff.

3 Thank James_birduk
Seattle
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I was only staying in the hotel overnight with a friend who was moving to California. We got in the afternoon in a non-smoking room and were told if we were to violate those rules there would be a $500 smoking charge. Understood, especially since we are not smokers.

The next day we left early and were notified by phone a few hours later there would be a $500 charge on top of out $150 nightly fee, because we had supposedly "smoked" in the room.

There was no evidence, no smoke, and the management kept lying to our face telling us they couldn't "sell the room" the next night because of the smell.

I REPEAT. WE ARE NOT SMOKERS. HOW ON EARTH COULD THIS INCOMPETENT, CHEAP HOTEL THINK SO???

It probably has something to do with mistreating young people poorly and discrimination. I can understand this because in the evening, the hotel had over 90% of their windows with no lights. Very sad, for a hotel to stoop this low.

After all the headaches they caused us, they eventually dropped their bogus claim of $500 to a mere $120 "fine" for something we didn't do.

So our sleep cost us $270 dollars instead of $150. What a joke.

Worst HOTEL EVER. If you want to avoid excessive charges please go elsewhere. And spread the word, this type of business practice is disgusting.

Room Tip: This place sucks.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank DennisLSeattle
L J, Manager at The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
The Plaza Suites charges a $250 recovery fee to guests who choose to smoke in our non-smoking suites. The purpose is to clean and restore the suite to a smoke free condition. Our hotel also provides smoking suites for our guests who would like to smoke as well as we have designated smoking areas. In the absence of any previous references to service and theft while our guests, and in your subsequent interactions with us we were surprised by your comments. Please feel free to contact us and we will gladly review any of the details you can provide.