“Friendly/On-target Customer Service”

Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
SF Bay Area
“Friendly/On-target Customer Service”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just overnight @ the Dream Inn with my family members who from my parents to kids, nieces all had a great time staying @ this beach hotel! Even though the hotel was booked at its capacity, we didn't see that many guests to be inconvenienced.

Jeremy @ the Front Desk was efficient at welcoming/checking us in and showed us a few reputable restaurants. Most of the Front Desk Staff had his/her "favorite things to do" displayed on the check-in table in front of their computer which was the 1st hotel I've seen it done. Bellman Tim had his hands full @ the Curbside but managed to help cart all our luggages at once. Restaurant Wait Staff (Alex & Alisa?) were professional & helpful! Pool side staff served with a smile. Housekeepers greet you in the hallways.

Since it is a high travel season, with amenities other nearby lodgings are not able to offer: right on the beach, nice heated outdoor pool with a pool bar, jacuzzi, and a restaurant with a fabulous Pacific ocean/Wharf view), comfortable rooms with cheerful interiors, you get what you pay for which is higher than other lodgings.

Pros -- small details count:

1. Great friendly customer service throughout the hotel property. We ended up staying in for dinner/breakfast at the hotel, the restaurant Aquarius manager charged us a little (not full prices) after we shared with him the 2 unsatisfying dinner appetizers. He apologized and thanked us for informing him. The way a professional/committed customer service would respond.

2. Comfortable cheerful rooms facing Pacific Ocean to hear the waves at night.

3. Good strength and temperature of water @ shower.

4. Good #/size of waste baskets in the rooms. Full size of mirror.

5. Good location between the scenic Cliff Drive and Wharf where you could sightseeing sealions below the restaurants and shops.

Cons:

1. Our room's AC started to make good level of noise around midnight that woke me up a few times. Too bad b/c the bed was comfortable.

2. If your bed is next to the restroom next door, you will hear some sound from that restroom, but hopefully you won't be bothered too much.

3. I wasn't able to get through the lines to hotel services during our overnight stay so I had to go to talk with the front desk in person ... Good thing we were able to secure a table in person for our group before the restaurant were completely booked on a weeknight.

FYI --

1. It doesn't offer a Fitness Room (so a tripadvisor question of this doesn't apply) probably it thinks its guests have plenty to do: walking, juggling, swimming, etc.?

2. Hotel Valet parking overnight is currently $24. You may call the Bellman ahead of your checking out to have your car ready for you to load your luggages.

3. At the beach outside hotel balconies you will see camp activities, but it wasn't that loud to be bothered by when we were there.

4. Some edges of the rooms/walls, stairs may look aged, but the room overall looks fresh.

5. I read some reviews saying the hotel interior look cheap, it must be in the eyes of a beholder. I like this hotel group which furnishes its properties with good taste, its interior is bright, modern and cheery. My kind of hotel. I wish it wasn't as expensive, but my family splurged based on all the good stuff it did offer to its guests on top of their fine customer service. We left happy.

Thank you DI staff! Please keep up your positive responsive customer service!

2 Thank 7Traveller13
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for the fabulous review! I am so glad you had fun and thank you for giving a shout out to our outstanding staff members who helped make your stay memorable. We hope to see you again to continue the adventure.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My famuily were really looking forward to our 5 days in Santa Cruz at the end of our busy tour across the US. I had promised the kids beach and pool for a few lazy days. I decided to opt for somewhere that could do adjoining or family suite rooms so Dream inn sounded perfect as it was located on the beach and had family suites. We were put on the 10th floor and tbh it had all of the charm of a dorm room. Carpeting was of the cheap and nasty variety and the fittings were well past their best - the entire had a tired and somewhat cheap feeling. I gather this is a big hotel for weddings and this was evident in many family groups of very large numbers who all but took over the already small and crowded pool area. At some times you feel like you are inadvertently gate-crashing someone else's party! The pool is too small and too deep - little kids need water wings as there is no kiddy pool and the jacuzzi is too hot and small. Surprisingly for a holiday destination there was nothing else on offer in the hotel - no games room, fitness centre, etc. The restaurant was fine and we ate there alot because the directions to get to the town centre were difficult to follow and there isnt really anything nearby to the hotel. I had hoped to be able to do a nice gentle stroll around to nice restaurants but they were beachfront cafes rather than what I wanted. All told I know from hearing people around us that they love the place and keep coming back but it just did not do it for us - too crowded, needs a significant upgrade, bigger pool and improved beach access so that it doesnt feel like an afterthought. It isnt cheap to stay here and I was dissapointed in it as a location for a family holiday. The staff in general were friendly when you asked a question and the bed was v. comfortable.

2 Thank Jennyapple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We choose the Hotel after staying at their sister Hotel Erwin at Vince Beach and loved that location too.

We called ahead to see if we could get early check in but they were too busy to even guess. When we got there at checkin time the room was still not ready so they gave us an upgrade to the 9th floor. I was grateful for so we did not have to wait to start our vacation.

We had our boards on the top of the car so the Valet Paul made sure it was kept in the upper lot and we did store our boards with the Valet locker some times too. They were very helpful and accommodating even when they were swamped. Paul is the best and sent us to some good restaurants too.

The restaurant at the hotel was our last resort for food because we waited until late to get dinner, which was 9:30. Everything closes at that time so we went to their restaurant. The bartender was smiles, happy, funny and helpful, I wish I had her name. We had our kids with us so we could not sit at her bar but we had so much time to talk with her as the hostess disappeared for at least 20 minutes after taking our names and a couple with young kids. Finally we asked if we could sit in the bar and yes we could sit in the area that was not the 21 and over area. So finally we got our food quickly with the cocktail waitress who was great too. We had already order our food when the hostess finally came back. We still do not know what had happened since we could see that there were clean tables to sit at and she was not anywhere we could see her working. we told the manager he did not know why either but the family with young kids was suffering as they waited. I hoped they comped their meal, they did not comp anything for us.

The pool was fun and we stayed there long after we had checked out, which they are fine with. I kept a tab with the bartender but I wish had done it with a server so I could get poolside service and not keep getting up to order at the bar for my family. My mistake. They had a BBQ open on Friday at the pool and the food was fine but not great for the price. The only have one bathroom so we could use change in before we left, it is the only bathroom for the pool area. Maybe a cabana for changing would be a better idea, at least I think it would be.

Massage Therapist at the pool was great. She gave a strong massage that she was able to know in her hands what the best pressure was for getting out the knots and what would have been too much to leave me tender. She has good awareness in her hands. The price was reasonable and less then most hotels so I highly recommend making a reservation and getting a massage. I have been a massage therapist for 20+ years and I reactive a massage at most places I travel to so you can trust I know the difference. I did go to a spa in town and paid more for a lower quality massage therapist, but the place was beautiful.

The photo on their website has a kiddie pool which is gone and the chairs are up at the glass looking out to the ocean. There are stairs to take you done to the beach but you have to walk around to carry a board down which is a bit of a walk. It was great to sit and people watch and enjoy my book the last day.

I would stay here again but because of the high price I would only stay here if I was using the pool daily. If was just going to the beach I might stay somewhere just as close to the beach for a lot cheaper.

I hope we get to stay her again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank passion4people
Finland
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I staed here in July wirh 2 teenagers. Rooms were nice, with seaview. They had also nice organic toiletries. Swimming pool was clean and spacious enough. We had late night dinner when arrived but the chicken in cesar salad was burned. When we complained they did not charge for that, altogether the quality of the food was not up to expectations. Service was good and the hotel had a nice family hotel atmosphere.

Room Tip: I think the room at lobby level was nice with a seaview.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us and for giving us such a fantastic score! I am so glad all of you enjoyed our facilities, however, I am sorry to hear that your restaurant experience was less than satisfactory. I hope that you will give us another try to wow your tastebuds, and we look forward to seeing you again.
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed 8 August 2013

13 of my family members just returned from 3 nights at the Dream Inn. It was mostly a good experience. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, efficient and helpful. Valet Matthew was terrific...(give that guy a raise). I'd give 4 out of 5 stars for service. I'd give 2 stars for the price. We paid a 5 star price for a 3 star room (room reminded me of a Fairfield Inn or a Hilton Garden Inn type of room). I guess you pay for the ocean view. Room was updated and clean. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to bring your ear plugs. The noise wasn't bad, but I'm a light sleeper so the sound of the seals, waves, people on the beach woke me up. On the weekdays during our stay, there was a summer camp going on all day on the beach right outside the hotel balconies. Not a bad thing, but lots (100 or so) of kids playing games all day. Pool was nice, but gets crowded when the sun comes out. Again, the staff at the pool were great. Pool food was decent, but may I suggest that the hotel invest in a gas BBQ. Each day when the cook light the charcoal for his BBQ, our rooms would fill up with toxic fumes. The pool reminded me of being on a cruise ship. Some folks would go "save" their lounge chairs at 8:00 am by putting their towels on them, and then not show up until 2:00. So for 6 hours, the lounge chairs sat empty when chairs were in short supply. Lots of people with kids, loud music playing, bar and "snack" bar. I'm not complaining, because we were there with kids, but not a quiet spot for a quiet, romantic get-away. I'm sure the hotel is much quieter during the off-season. Location was perfect for the kids...walk to the Boardwalk, Wharf restaurants, downtown Santa Cruz. A great walking/bike path along the coast starts right outside the hotel doors. We took a bike ride all the way to Wilder Ranch State Park and it was a beautiful ride. Check-out gets busy and the valet told us that the hotel only has 4 luggage carts so no one is allowed to bring one up to their room to load up their stuff. You must wait for a valet to do that for you, and with only 4 carts, it took about 20 minutes for someone to show up with a cart. Another suggestion...invest in some more luggage carts so folks can check out on their own. Overall, it was a fun (albeit expensive) place to have our family weekend and we'd return.

2 Thank GilroyDonna
Thank you for the wonderful review and feedback. I am happy to hear that our staff did an outstanding job, we really strive to bring the Joie de Vivre spirit to each guest's stay. Its so great that you and your family were able to take in so much during your trip, the beach, biking, the pool, downtown; there really is so much to do here in Santa Cruz. I am sorry however that there were a few downsides, that of the noises, the BBQ smells, and the "saving" of seats by the pool. I hope that by your next trip we are able to wow on every level. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at The Dream Inn -- it was the absolute perfect place for our special day. Aurora Smith and her staff were superb - extremely professional and made all the arrangements a breeze. Aurora gave us excellent referrals for our photographer (Terry Way Photography); flowers (Sweeley Design); and makeup (Shawn Calvin). The views of the ocean, were breathtaking and the views of the wharf and boardwalk were spectacular in the evening when everything is lit up. The food was exceptional as was the wine selection. We received many compliments from our guests, so much so that we plan to have our 10th wedding anniversary party at The Dream Inn! We loved the bridal suite - every room at the inn has an ocean view -- so wonderful. We give a standing ovation to The Dream Inn!

• Stayed July 2013
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Congratulations! Thank you for the standing ovation! We are so excited your celebration was a hit and we look forward to many years of memories to come.
Stuart, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Loved this place, great room with a great view. I like to sleep with the windows open, we had a private balcony overlooking the beach and wharf... I can still hear the waves... and I am missing it... Bed was wonderful, large room... everything was perfect.

Room Tip: Room 125 is great, but probably all the rooms in this wing are wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob A
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star review! I am so excited to see that you had a fantastic time. There is nothing like falling asleep to the rush of waves and the sounds of the seals. We look forward to recreating that rejuvenating vacation for years to come.