“A big loss”
Review of Aquarius

Aquarius
Reserve with OpenTable
Aquarius is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bay Street
Reviewed November 4, 2018

The main attraction in the lounge was the quality live music. I am afraid that I no longer have a real reason to go there. I hope the management will re-consider.

Reviewed October 16, 2018

Although we live on the other coast, we are in CA – especially the Santa Cruz area – several times a year to visit family and friends. And whenever we are there, we take my 101-year-old mother-in-law and gather friends and relatives who are around for brunch or dinner at Aquarius. The food is excellent, the views are spectacular, and it is quiet enough for us older folks to hear each other (this is a big deal!). The restaurant staff is wonderful – so accommodating, cheerful, and helpful - as is the parking staff. And it is easy to manage wheel chairs and walkers. On our most recent visit, Kamelia and Tracey looked after us and we had another great experience. We all look forward to seeing you again in December!

Reviewed October 14, 2018

We went to the Aquarius for Restaurant Week based on it's menu. We arrived and were promptly seated. We both ordered a draft beer. I had the amber and my wife had the stout. Both beers had great flavor and body with a smooth finish. We placed our orders and enjoyed our beers and the fresh sour dough bread they provided. The appetizers arrived. My wife's Angry Prawns were perfectly cooked with a rich prawn-tomato sauce over creamy polenta. My Baby Back Pork Ribs were delicious. The ribs were perfectly cook and sauced, though lacking in smoke flavor. The accompanying coleslaw was a nice contrast to the ribs richness. Then came the entrees. My wife's Pork Belly Tacos were eye pleasingly presented, but she did not enjoy the pork belly which she thought should have been prepared with a crisper exterior. She also did not like the double corn tortilla taco as she said the corn flavor took over the flavors. I had a bite and thought it was very good. The pork belly flavor was prominent as was the pickled lemongrass, and yes the corn tortilla was present. My Jack's Poke Bowl was yummy. All of the ingredients were presented over a bed of rice along with a bowl of uzu sauce on the side. The salmon and ahi in the dish was very fresh and the veggies were crisp and added crunch. Then came the dessert. We both ordered the Strawberry Panna Cotta. They arrived in a beautiful presentation with a round of panna cotta sitting next to a scoop of ice cream drizzled with spiced strawberry marmalade, a dollop of whipped cream and a mint garnish. WOW. The panna cotta was light and strawberry flavored and the ice cream was the perfect companion. All in all we both had a good time and enjoyed our meals with some minor flaws.

Reviewed October 13, 2018

Previously I gave this place 5 stars because of the music, location and general overall cool factor. Well, sad to say, I guess the management there has decided that jazz is no longer cool and its better to be a generic hotel lounge. They still have jazz on Saturdays but who knows how long that will last. Santa Cruz has long been known for its vibrant music community and now the O'Neill has unceremoniously stopped music. BAD! I have been a customer since moving to Santa Cruz and not just a regular on Thursday nights but also for dinner with my wife and friends as well as bringing our local angel investment group there to meet. O well, no more Thursdays for me and we will see about Saturdays. So, if its for now just about food or drink, there are much better places in Santa Cruz. Hello Shadowbrook... They have much better food and a cooler vibe.

Date of visit: October 2018
LarsS2977, Manager at Aquarius, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2018

Hi Randy W,
Thank you for your feedback, I apologize that you are disappointed with not having Thursday music. Usually in the winter we only do music two nights due to business levels.
We love our Jazz music and I hope you are able to join us on Saturday nights.
If you are interested in talking in more detail please reach out to me.
Lars Stokkebye
lstokkebye@dreaminnsc.com

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

I’m currently writing this review before the check even arrives! Avoid. The views are great but not worth the terrible overpriced food. Daughters main came out late and cold. Our mains came out cold too. Also the table was filthy.

Date of visit: October 2018
LarsS2977, Manager at Aquarius, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

Dear MorbidlyObese,
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to comment.
We strive to take care of every guests and we fell short.
I apologize for the inconvenience. I will communicate with the staff to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Please feel free to email me directly if I can help you in anyway.
Lstokkebye@dreaminnsc.com