“Clean hotel and good value for money”
Review of Continental Inn

Continental Inn
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We picked the hotel based on a recommendation in The Rough Guide. It was good value for money. The room, although small and dated, was very clean, included a fridge and microwave as well as coffee making facilities. Free parking and breakfast included. A bit of a walk from the town but not a bad location. Staff very friendly. Would recommend for a short stay...although Santa Cruz did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We searched all over Santa Cruz for an affordable room near the boardwalk on a weekday and after going next door (which smelled HORRIBLE) we decided to stay at Continental. The room was beautiful. Hardwood floors, flat screen, etc. Cable channels sucked but whatever. We had my 4yr old son with us and were putting him to bed when a BUM tried to WALK into our ROOM! He opened the door, looked in, said "Sorry" and walked away! By the time my hubby got to the door, he was gone. Come to find out, the door doesn't lock unless SLAMMED shut and we just made sure to lock the top lock too. It was noisy & people were walking by the room all night but it was cheap and clean. The breakfast bar was great and it didn't smell at all where we were. It did suck that the pool was across the street and approx. 8ft long by 5ft wide. That is a glorified hot tub as far as I am concerned! All in all, I liked it and will probably be back!

Room Tip: Walk in, weekday rate is $78 but with taxes $99
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank BettyNBob215
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Booked three days with these people online. The room was fine, but in a bit of a shaky area. The second day we were there, three police cars showed up at the hotel with an ambulance and about 6 cops went into the hotel. All three days, there were some pretty seedy characters hanging out in general area. So, the problem: THEY CHARGED OUR MASTERCARD THE FULL THREE DAYS BEFORE WE EVEN CHECKED IN. Not knowing this, the day we checked out, we told them we wanted the room put on our American Express instead of the Mastercard. They gladly did so, without ever telling us they had already billed the other card for three days. I was told by a Haley, at the hotel, they never bill the card until you check out, (oh really?) she then said, per her manager, who wouldn't talk to me, the fees would not be reversed for 7 days. I left a message for the manager, she never called me back. I called three times, quite upset and was told she was UNAVAILABLE TO TAKE CALLS! The receptionist had one excuse after another, talking nonstop and not letting me say anything. I was absolutely furious. They definitely have the rountine down very well.

I called Mastercard and was told they (Continental) had made no attempt whatsoever to wind down the double charge, but could have instantly taken care of it, had they chosen to. Mastercard actually had to reemburse our account themselves. They are also having their legal department investigate this transaction with Continental. I noticed no other complaints along these lines, but an opportunity to double charge probably hadn't come up in a while. Be very careful should you decide to stay at what I consider a very rude, scam operation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel was not satisfactory in my opinion. The room has 2 queen beds and I was quoted $210 plus tax. First of all, it was given a AAA rating along with three diamonds...WHY??? As soon as we walked in it smelled like urine. The pull out mirror was broken in the bathroom, there was a hole in the wall behind the toilet, cracks in the tile near the bathtub. The bathroom is small and so is the room. Didn't use the air conditioner because the vent had a pile of dust in it. The room was dusty. Hardwood floors were scratched..EVERYWHERE! At 2:30 in the morning the occupants next door were loud and drunk..college students!! After I complained to management about the room they gave me a 10% discount..whatever!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Fresno_11
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The pictures on this site are very deceiving the room I stayed in looked nothing like the picture. The room had gross sticky carpet and bedspreads that have been there since 1982. When I asked Haily, the charmer at the front desk to be moved because of the noise, she so pleasantly exclaimed "that is what you get when you book a room on Ocean St." Check out the next day. This was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank CColy
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My wife and I stayed here while we were waiting for our house to be finished. The place is horrible they rent the rooms to any drug dealer, meth freak, alcoholic, party animal in Santa Cruz. When we would call the manager about the all night parties or the fights from the prostitution ring down the hall nothing would happen I could not figure out why the management would not do anything about this , then I got it they are taking a cut on all the action that's happening here and boy there's a lot. So unless you want to take a walk on the wild side stay away from this place.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Khunchum
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My son has booked the hotel on line, as it was referred as a nice hotel by one of his friends. When we got there after a busy day of visiting and driving, we were quite impressed not only by the cozy location of the hotel, but also by the cleanliness of its surroundings.
The room was spacious, inviting and sparkling. We felt at home at once. The sheets were snow white and refreshing, the bathroom coquette, and the sleep quality priceless.

The next day offered additional pleasant surprises: the breakfast nook was very warm from all points of view, and the quality of the food by far exceeding the regular free breakfst one gets as a continental breakfast nowadays. The friendly personnel added to the warmth of the experience with their generous smiles and descriptions of the surrounding area. The sweet-spirited receptionist and the nice innkeeper went the extramile to make our stay as pleasant as possible. I can't wait to revisit them in summer.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family