All reviews bed was comfortable danish rates parking boardwalk housekeeping
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Bedding was old & dirty, lucky for me I had brought blanket from home;very noise did not get Goodnight sleep, outside was terrible; breakfast was terrible; TV was old not good reception. Never will I stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
4  Thank Olga A
Reviewed August 12, 2013

For some reason, on Saturday night, August 10th, there was a lot of price gouging going on in Santa Cruz and with No Vacancy signs all over town, I paid in excess of $200 for a room comparable to an $80 Super8.... but I wish I'd driven away because there's a big Day's Inn another half an hour or so to the south on the 1.

On the plus side, the internet service was good and the password was long and complicated (and I received no influx of spam the next day), the bath tub was oval, big enough to sleep in, surrounded by travertine type marble, the floor was marble. The plumbing did not leak or drip, the bathroom had a working window (new, too) and it might even have had a bug screen.

The paintwork was new, but the painter was so sloppy that he'd painted over the gunk and dust in the ventilator and the screws, so the ventilation has no chance ever of being cleaned now and is probably disgusting. There was no air conditioning, but there was a big fan. The bathroom ceiling was already looking mottled, so, assuming that the roof is now sound, they ought to have used stainkill and didn't.

The single wool blankets looked pilled and felted and dirty but may have just been over-enthusiastiically laundered. We preferred to be cold than use them. The carpet looked no better than any other motel carpet, which is as kind as I can be. The mattresses and box springs at least were enclosed in those bedbug-proof bags. I appreciated seeing those bags. And we were not bitten.

There were no fridges or microwaves, no coffeemaker in the room, not even an ice bucket. It was all very basic and exceptionally poor value for money.

The breakfast was the pits. They had no breakfast room. They just put a jug of orange juice and ice on the check in counter alongside a thermos of the worst coffee I have ever tasted, and a plate of plastic-wrapped (commercial) "pastries" loaded with preservatives.

It seemed like Victor and Kim Patel were nice people and they were trying to renovate and upgrade....in fact from the workers' debris and the hammering early on Sunday morning, it seems that work is proceeding apace. Perhaps they normally do have a breakfast room.

I appreciated the secure internet, the new bathtub, the secure plumbing.

Room Tip: If it is late at night and you are tired, check the windows. They leave the windows open, but the bug screens make them look closed. The room will be quieter if you close the windows.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rowenacherry
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This motel is totally fine--light on frills but overall is a nice place. Checked in fairly late at night on a Thursday with no issues. Granite tile floors, nice bathtub area, nice clerk at the desk. The decor is like grandma's rec room, but at these rates, who cares?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Seedy, noisy, shabby, smelly, uncomfortable. I chose this place based upon the assumption that the mid-range price would get me a serviceable room without bells and whistles. At this point I wish I had just saved my money and slept in my car.

Room Tip: Go somewhere (anywhere) else
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My friend was looking for value for his buck and we certainly weren't expecting anything over the top here - just a clean room and minimal but at least courteous service. When my friend checked in early, we found the room unlocked and trashed - which, fine, it was still early afternoon and we'll deal with it. I also thought it was unreasonable for a motel not to accommodate late check-in, especially pre-arranged, but again, we'll deal with it even though it required us to go out of our way during the day. But what I found truly appalling was the owner/manager's behavior. My friend was nice enough to go to the front desk to let him know that there were going to be three extra people in his room for 10 minutes (we just needed to change) - as if my friend were a child in some horrible boarding school having to check in with a hall monitor! The owner wasn't at the front desk, but he saw us going into the room and barreled out of his office, screaming at us. He had jumped to the conclusion that we were all staying there (not true - the rest of us had booked elsewhere), gave us no chance to explain, acted in an extremely agitated and antagonistic way, and kicked us out unceremoniously. We weren't expecting white-glove service, but this was the rudest "service" I've ever gotten!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WChenBoston
National9motel, Manager at National 9 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Same comments as the may 27,2013 review.
They were all together.