“Great Food, nice ambiance”

Star Bene Incorporated
Ranked #111 of 395 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2016

My wife and I came for dinner last week. Split a caesar salad that was very good, had a couple of empanadas for appetizers (ground top sirloin was the best), and each had an entree. She had chicken pesto bow tie pasta and I had pasta carbonara. Both were excellent. Service was friendly and efficient. Great neighborhood casual restaurant that is reasonably priced for the quality of food. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed June 15, 2016

We went as a group for dinner to Star Bene after wanting for months to stop by since we moved to SC. The food is very good, though the portions are far too large. As with most Italian food, the dishes can weigh heavy in the tummy, so even smaller portions would have been adequate.
The most unfortunate part is the prices, certainly very upscale prices. The restaurant is cute, but definitely not elegant. The staff was good for the most part, but we sometimes had to track him down, despite there only being a few tables of customers.
Lunch might be better here, as we are willing to try it again, but not anytime soon.

Reviewed May 23, 2016

My girlfriend and I went to Star Bene due to a Groupon. When we arrived, we were pleased with the atmosphere. The waiter was pleasant as well. And the carpaccio was very good (although a tad oniony) Unfortunately, that was it. The entrees were bland. My gf and I normally do not season our meals. When I saw her reach for the salt and pepper, I thought, "Oh no." She had some type of ravioli with pecan and white sauce. I ordered pesto and the owner said, "We don't have basil pesto, but tomato based pesto, but it taste the same." I should have known better. It tasted nothing like basil-based pesto, and like my girlfriend, I had to reach for the salt and pepper (which by the way did not really improve it). Needless to say, we were disappointed. It was definitely overpriced for the taste. Much better restaurants in downtown SC.

1  Thank Jay M
Reviewed May 18, 2016

Food was delicious and the service was great. It was a small, cozy restaurant with a romantic feel about it!!

Reviewed January 31, 2016

Cozy warm restaurant. However the dinner meals, although good, were overpriced. Tasty pasta, but the caesar salad was mediocre.