“Great experience dining at the Sushi Bar; wonderful food”

Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #89 of 405 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed February 13, 2017

OK, this is not my go-to sushi place in Santa Cruz generally, but a friend suggested it and we give it a try last week. Shogun was terrific, with amazing food, pleasant service and appropriate prices.

We started out with a generous glass of Chardonnay and a Japanese beer, and ordered their Shogun Peppers which are a battered jalapeno pepper with a nice sauce. Delicious, and generous for 2-3. We then ordered a Doobie Roll and a Spicy Santa Cruz, both of which were filling and delicious. Our only mistake was to order a third roll, and not because we didn't like it: we were simply too full at that point.

I felt that the ambience, food, service, and prices all made me want to come back. Next time, I would probably order some simpler rolls with a deluxe roll as a treat, but I think it's hard to go wrong. Shogun is a step above our "old favorites" in Santa Cruz.

1  Thank Extraordinary808702

Reviewed November 9, 2016

Went there with a friend and ordered a couple of dishes with some Japanese beer. Service was excellent and we enjoyed some quite different sushi.

Reviewed October 1, 2016

Always fresh, always delicious. I've been going here for 15+ years and never had a bad meal. My favorites are the Nancy Roll, Fisherman's roll, shrimp tempura roll... wow, too many to name! I also love the dinner boxes when I'm really hungry and for a bit extra you can add to them and have a customize meal. My husband loves their sukiyaki.

Reviewed August 31, 2016

Every time I visit SC I always make it a point to eat here. Well here and a few other places that i just "HAVE" to eat when visiting.

Great selection of rolls, apps, and other saki. Also vegan friendly.
I got the Spider, Philadelphia, and a veg roll. All were excellent.

Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

We were really excited to visit this restaurant. It had great reviews and based on that, we had our hopes up for some great Japanese food.

We ordered one of the sushi roll specials, and to be fair, this was excellent. But the excellence sadly stopped there.

The agedashi tofu was stuck together and gooey - I know it's supposed to be somewhat sticky, but this was like glue. We also ordered the short ribs - the flavour was nice but the meat was tough, chewy and fatty. We did tell our server about this, and she was kind enough not to charge us for this dish. We also ordered chicken katsu - this was also disappointing. The chicken seemed to be a mix of thigh and breasts, and like the ribs, had chewy, grissly bits throughout.

We were overall really disappointed with our meal and expected a lot more from such a highly rated place.