“Most comfortable bed ever”

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Wonderful homey rooms with very nice bathrooms, slippers, & views of the beach the ocean. Seriously, the most comfortable beds ever. WIFI in the room was $12 which seemed silly to charge for given how much you pay to stay here.

Great jazz band played every night at happy hour and late night. Friendly staff, especially bar staff in the lobby. Vibe feels a little country-clubby, but Casa next door had a more lively nightlife.

Brunch at the hotel was good, but recommend walking up Ocean early to eat at Cora's Coffee Shoppe.

Room Tip: Higher level overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shutters on the Beach

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great Hotel, great staff, great location, great rooms. Did I mention how great this place is?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2012

What a stunning and stylish hotel, I'm not a lover of American luxury hotels as they always seem a little pompous. Shutters however is streets ahead of any hotel that I have stayed in. Only stayed for a couple of nights on a business trip, and so was very tired, but would definitely have stayed longer had my schedule allowed, and that's a rare one for me. The rooms are fabulous with that lovely mixture of quality and casualness so much lacking in many hotels, the food was exceptional and the staff could not be faulted at any level. This is my second visit, we visited here about 20 years ago with our American friends and loved it then, but didn't really appreciate it at the time. Now we are in the business ourselves I take more time to look and feel the places that we stay in...........believe me, well worth a long haul flight, 5* all the way without all the plastic pomp and ceremony!!

Room Tip: WALK, WALK AND WALK MORE the area is so interesting and exciting you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CheltenhamLarry
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Having stayed as a couple in September, we returned as a family in January and were slightly apprehensive whether we would enjoy our second trip as much as our first. We shouldn't have worried-Shutters was again a wonderful spot to recover/prepare for our long haul back to New Zealand. Even the kids appreciated they were staying in very nice and first class hotel.

We stayed for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the stay, food, service and of course the views to the pier and the beach. We dined at Coast each morning and a couple of times at dinner-it was easy and the food was very good. Shutters definately deserves a much better TripAdvisor rating, and while it is expensive, I think it is well worth it.

We have stayed both times on the 6th floor (in a non beach view room) with views to the pier and have experienced no sleep disturbance on any of the now 8 nights we have been there. I am not sure if the lower rooms are a lot cheaper, but in my opinion spending some extra to enjoy the Santa Monica views has to be the way to go. The rooms are very homely and cute.

While we may not be in Santa Monica again for a while, Shutters will be our first choice when we do.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jas0n03
Reviewed 8 February 2012

After checking out other 5 star+ hotels in the area we opted for Shutters for the ambience and low key style. The service was fabulous, from the curbside personnel to the maid service, everyone seemed professional, courteous and generally happy to be a part of this hotel!
We had an issue with street noise in our beautiful first room (yes, we were forewarned but thought that we could ignore it... not the case!) but the front desk staff, and even the bellman, were earnest in the attempts to move us to a room that would meet our needs. And what a room... the beds are truly heavenly, the jacuzzi in the bathroom fit two, and there is even a candle provided by the jacuzzi to set the mood.
Although we didn't watch it, there is a 42 inch flat screen in the bedroom and a 10 inch one in the bathroom (maybe to watch while you're in the jacuzzi?)
In the evening the lobby is filled with people enjoying the sounds of the piano player while sitting in front of the fireplaces.
The location is right on the beach. While we were waiting for our room to be ready we watched a fashion shoot on the beach right in front of the hotel!
All in all we can highly recommend it, and we would definitely return (next time I would try the spa!!)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2012

If you want to stay in Santa Monica, everything else is a compromise. The place is obviously expensive but the service, food and rooms are awesome. The pool and gym are really only just adequate but you're right on one of the nicest beaches you can imagine which itself has plenty facilities. We stayed for five days and loved it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2012

tonight at the Shutter's i learned, from the trained barkeeper, that a full bottle of wine equals 4 glasses of 0,125 l.

a bottle of wine, last i checked, is 0,750 l = 6 glasses. IF the glasses poured at the Shutters were to be 0.175 i would almost agree, but what you get, is a 0,130 max.

So i decided to buy a bottle of wine.

Half way through it, I asked for another glass from my bottle. as I already had 2 glasses + a refill. The waitress said, she did not know, which was my bottle, and anyway, it did not matter, if I got a glass from my own bottle, as a bottle equals 4 glasses!

Not thinking about the consequences, I was very foolhardy and started to argue with her, insisting she would either pour wine from my bottle, or tell me her name and get the manager. The manager came alright (no names though) and we left the bar and went outside to talk. In his opinion, not the matter of me being obviously cheated, but only my, at that time pretty upset, attitude was important, although my attitude was caused by a cheating /ignorant employe.

I was trying very hard to be friendly and after several attempts to get back to the point, that in fact I was being cheated by his employe, i lost my head and told him to go .... himself, which made him kick me out :-) very interesting way of handling complaints. I was not alone at the bar. A good friend of mine was with me and neither him nor I caused any noisy trouble or were being rude to other guests. None of us were drunk.

This review does not mean any harm to the hotel, which I, until this very day, have found a great spot to hang out on afternoons in Santa Monica. It points out, that no hotel is better than it's employes. I hope for the future, that this will not happen again :-)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends