Shutters on the Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
Seaview Hotel(Santa Monica)
View Hotel
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
Bayside Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Pool
Sea Blue Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
Ocean Lodge Hotel(Santa Monica)
1,717 results
All reviewscoast restaurantpico restaurantbeach houseroom servicesister hotelbeautiful hotelsanta monica beachcasa del marpool areafour seasonsfull ocean viewliving roomlos angelesocean frontluxury hotellobby barbeverly hills
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2012

great setting rooms are fine and the food is very good.
The service is poor and it was like they had 1/2 staff. Also the hotel is getting worn it seems like things have worn out and they have not replaced them.

Room Tip: Rooms are great. the service is poor . It seams that the Hotel is 1/2 staff and many little things are left undone. Food is very good but for the cost just the all around service was very poor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Steve F
jbarela, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Hi Steve,

Thank you for choosing to spend your time at Shutters on the Beach. Our staff works hard to make sure our property is kept at its finest condition and that our guests are well attended to. I apologize if there was any oversight in these areas during your visit. Please know that your comments do not go unnoticed.

Most appreciatively,
Gregory Day
General Manger, Shutters on the Beach

Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I traveled to CA to visit my daughter and son-in-law in October, 2011. I wanted to “splurge” and stay at Shutters on the Beach, as I saw it highly recommended on a cable travel show. We booked through our AMX premium travel service because we received a few extra perks with the reservation (Upgraded room, if available, treats in room, $50 daily credit toward breakfast and one time $100 spa credit). Even with these perks – the room was still expensive (room rate of $600 per night – not including taxes). Never being to Santa Monica before, I thought it was a going rate - albeit a bit high. We flew in from Baltimore and arrived tired at about 6pm Pacific. We were never offered and upgrade – I didn’t say anything because at the moment I thought they could be sold out of the upgraded rooms….”not so” said the hotel housekeeping – plenty of rooms available. The room was great – but I have stayed in better rooms at less than half the cost – and in Very High End areas. The breakfast was outrageously expensive and $50 just paid for half our daily bill. In Santa Monica, I did enjoy the dining options, beach and attractions – spending time with my daughter and son-in-law doing all the touristy things in the area. BUT – I found many TOP hotels that were just as good and maybe better for MUCH less. At a comparable hotel with a deluxe ocean view with a beautiful bathroom and full ocean view in October 2012 over a weekend is $335 per night (4 nights - $1,340 plus taxes). At Shutters we paid over $2400 not including taxes – just for the room rate. LIVE AND LEARN!

Room Tip: Very expensive and you can get excellent rooms elsewhere for 1/2 the room rate.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Judy J
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Shutters is every bit as good as you would imagine - the beach front location, the incredible rooms, the service etc. are all 5 star. I agree with the other reviewers - don't pay more for an 'ocean view' room - mine was a partial view and my balcony looked directly to the sea! Can't get more 'ocean' than that! The staff were all very helpful, the food was delicious and fresh at Coast (cafe which is part of the hotel). You can hire a bike and ride along the miles of pristine beach, or pack your beach towel and walk a couple of steps over to the beach and lie on the sand. The pool area was beautiful too, although there was no bar/service out there which wasn't ideal - although this may have been because I stayed out of peak season. I wouldn't hesitate to go back - especially for a romantic/special break. Perfection.

Room Tip: I was in room 633 which was fantastic
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Great hotel, but DON'T PAY THE EXTRA MONEY FOR AN "FULL OCEAN FRONT" ROOM!!

We paid $740 for a "full ocean front" room. Our daughter was in a "partial ocean front" room at $590. WE HAD THE EXACT SAME VIEW!! We overlooked another building and a parking lot -- DEFINITELY NOT an ocean front room.

When we brought this to their attention, they even conceded that it was not exactly "ocean front" and that they have very few of those rooms. WHY SELL THEM THEN????

Everything else about the hotel was great -- but this felt so slimy.

I took a photo from our room so everyone can see the view of the top of a building just out our window....what a joke.

Room Tip: If you want to pay for "Full Ocean View," go to the Casa del Mar -- they have more rooms there on the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Anonymous793
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is one of the most charming and stylish hotels I've ever been. Of couuse it is expensive, but it is worth it. The rooms are beautiful, the staff is so nice and the location is unique. Can't imagine staying in any other hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family