“Like being back in France. Authentic French experience with great food and coffee.”
Review of Monsieur Marcel

Monsieur Marcel
Ranked #95 of 778 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: French
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed May 29, 2017

This one's a classic French sidewalk cafe, right in the middle of Santa Monica, California. For someone who has spent summers in the Dordogne and Paris in France, the French atmosphere was authentic. It's like the cafes in Paris, but less expensive.

But what about the food? Great. Loved the bread, and my father and I shared a yummy burger with pomme frites. The burger was cooked well, and the fries were great. But this is also a fantastic cafe to get a coffee and watch the people pass by. That's where the authenticity hits home for me.

I loved Monsieur Marcel. It's a keeper.

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

This French cafe has very good breakfast. They serve you warm French baguette. We ordered escargots and they were delicious. So was the tuna tartare. The foie gras should be called pate because that's what it is. The coffee is good. It's nice ambiance, sitting outside on a beautiful day enjoying the nice weather.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed April 14, 2017

I found this lovely outdoor place as I was shopping in the 3rd Street Promenade area of Santa Monica. My husband was on a business trip and I was on my own for the day.
What a lovely experience this place was on a sunny afternoon. The service was incredible! I ordered the Kale Caesar Salad with chicken. It was one of the best salads I have ever eaten.
The atmosphere at this place was like a french bistro!

The food was so good that I brought my husband to try it out a few days later after his meetings were completed. Both of us very impressed again with the food and the service.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed February 1, 2017

Group of 4 friends visiting the Grove after the La Brea Tar Pits. Everyone loved their dish. Quiche, trout almondine, the grilled sandwich served all day (don't remember the name) and the chicken coq au. Ordered to start the cheese and meat tray seasonally available Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Absolutely delightful. Service was attentive but not over bearing. Corkage is $15.00

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed January 29, 2017 via mobile

I love the location after my long walk on the beach. The French music and the waitress were the delights for me as we spoke en français.

THE food was average and found the food not as hot as I would have liked.

Would come back for the ambiance and the French music.

Date of visit: January 2017