All reviews full kitchen living room heated pool street promenade pink tile whole foods gas stove apartment complex melrose place garbage trucks two blocks large bedroom per day laundry facilities seen better days an older hotel great pool
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here because it is a short cab ride from the UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and I could get a room anywhere near Santa Monica for less than $300 per night. I ended up spending less than $200/night for a clean, well maintained but older property just a few short blocks from the beach! I arrive late at night and didn't know what to expect given no elevator, no air conditioning and a strong 60's vibe. But I became more and more pleased that I did not choose a brand name in the area, which went for $200-300 more per night and did not seem that great. The staff here were very helpful and gracious. On several occasions, I saw them helping people with the all sorts of matters, and consistently found and observed them to be kind and gracious at any hour of the day or night. Many guests seemed to come from abroad. I would ordinarily stay at a higher end property, but I am so glad that I did not. The value was just so strong at Cal Mar, and the proximity to the beach and all the action could not be better. i agree with other reviewers that there is city noise, garbage pick up. etc. But, I always think that we should be so grateful that the garbage is being picked up! And it would not be worth it to me to spend the extra $200-300 per night to have a quieter place. And this seemed to be a very comfortable place for families of young children as well as teens. The bed was very comfortable and my bathroom could not have been cleaner. Having a full kitchen has to be a help to those who don't want to eat out for every meal. The lack of air conditioning was not a problem in mid July. I did not even need the fans that were provided, the sea breezes are so strong. And while there is no room service, a delivery system for some great restaurants in the area was very well priced. I would stay here again, and I would recommend this to a friend. You just need to know that you are going back in time, to a hippie, Beach Boys vibe that is safe, comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: I think that all rooms face the pool, interior area. Views are of the interior pool and lovely flowers, but not exterior.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Markey2
Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was a huge apartment, with real closets and a full kitchen. If you like retro, you'll really like this place - real keys for the doors, windows that open with winding mechanisms. Located remarkably close to the beach for the price - although on the map it looks even closer (there's a big cliff, and you need to walk down a street or a lot of stairs). No air conditioning, but that was not a problem - in late June, ceiling fans were enough.

They charge $10 extra for WIFI, and then you can only use 1 device at a time. They charge for parking (almost $20), but that was expected at this kind of location. There are stairs, with no ramp, even to get to reception, and then a few more stairs to the ground floor rooms (so you have to lug luggage up the stairs). No breakfast supplied. Also, be prepared for loud garbage trucks early in the morning - you might be able to ask for a room away from that side.

The day we arrived, the pool was closed, because a movie was being filmed there - a real "Hollywood" experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WorldTraveller369
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location just a block away from third street promenade it is a very old building does not have Air Conditioning just fans that is a minus and no elevators not very clean But we where 3 adults and 1 child so we stayed very comfortable in a 2 bedroom 1 sofabed and an extra cot for 10 dollars daily and the kitchen is large with all the utensils
The swiming pool is small but temperature is amazing! So for a short stay we had everything we needed. The garbage truck woke me up every single day it took about 20 min to take all of the trash we stayed in room 305 and that side of the building is were the ally was so i had to suffer with that every day ! But nothing i can do about that.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Good value for money in Santa Monica compared to other accommodation. We had a huge lounge/dining room and bedroom. It was almost too big for the two of us! It would've been great for a family. Very close to the beach, the shops etc. We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice on a hot day. We would stay here again if we return to Santa Monica.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kylie E
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is a converted apt building. It's a bit older, but still clean and great location. There is no air conditioning so we slept with the windows open. Unfortunately, Thursday was garbage day so we were woken up early. The staff was very friendly. Parking costs $18/night and WIFI is also extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with wood floors and a pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family