1,088 results
All reviews coffee and pastries street promenade excellent location santa monica pier each morning an older hotel rooms are small light sleeper bars and restaurants complimentary breakfast two blocks lax
Reviewed August 4, 2017

over budget on a recent business trip, so tried to economize on hotel expense. Hotel Carmel was quite a bit less expensive than surrounding hotels. 4th floor room was hot - no a/c, TV didn't work, nor did bedside lamp. No hairdryer in room - but these are available if you collect them yourself from the front desk. Great location - 1 block from beach, but very noisy oil about 2 am. Linens and bathroom are tired. Complimentary coffee and pastries in the (air-conditioned) lobby in the am was a nice touch. Could be good for a family when budget and location are more important than a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

I'm so sorry your stay with us only warranted a one bubble rating. We are obviously striving for a more positive guest experience. I'm not sure if you contacted us during your stay regarding the issues you mention with the TV, air-conditioning, and bedside lamp. Although those items should have been checked before your arrival, we would have been more than happy to correct those issues or move you to a room that was in working order. I really wish we could have done a better job making your stay with us more comfortable. I apologize that we fell so short of your expectations. Thank you for the constructive feedback. Warmest regards, Angela.

Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

Your clearly paying for the location with this hotel as what you get is basic. It is not cheap but is fab for walking to the beach, pier and shops (10 mins). Can't beat the location unless you wanna pay $700 a night on the beach.

There are a lot of extra taxes and occupancy fees that weren't clear when booking, so we ended up Paying $35 more per night more than we had expected. Plus another $40 for the valet (good) and tips. So all in all we paid over £500 for two nights.

We had a 2 bedded, small double room and it was pretty basic. It was clean and comfortable enough for a couple of nights. There is no fridge, hair dryer or coffee maker. You do have an iron and ironing board. You can get ice from reception which is a pain when your on the 4th floor.

There is one lift which was slow, we used the stairs, we were on the forth floor and this didn't bother us at all.

Staff were friendly and helpful and valet good. Hotel was charming and clean. Complimentary pastries and coffee in the morning was nice. We never got our free paper (not bothered).

As you couldn't make yourself a hot drink maybe complimentary coffee station or machine would have been nice.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

Thanks so much for the review. I'm very sorry if there was any confusion on taxes or valet parking fees. I'm not sure how you booked your reservation. However, I do believe we are very transparent with our direct, our online, and our travel agent reservation processes regarding the mandatory taxes imposed by state and local municipalities as well as our valet parking fee, which is $23 a night, not $40. I'm happy that our location worked out well for your visit and I'm very appreciative of your additional feedback on our hotel and your stay with us. On behalf of all of us here at Hotel Carmel, thanks for staying with us and safe travels always. Warmest regards, Angela

Reviewed August 1, 2017

Excellent customer service from all the staff. Reception staff were exceptional in the care and attention they gave to customers making sure that the needs for each individual customer were seen to.
Staff that went the extra mile in their customer care were - Mario, Leo, Kirstie, Angela, Alyssa, Stacey, Tony, Sam and Anthony.
We stayed for 6 nights but we wish we could have stayed forever.
Lovely touch having tea, coffee and pastries complimentary every morning.
We would definitely stay there again and recommend Hotel Carmel to family and friends.
Thank you to everyone at Hotel Carmel for making our stay such an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Suites are large and very well laid out and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Thank you so much for posting a five bubble review from your recent stay with us at Hotel Carmel. I'm thrilled and delighted to read your comments about our team and I also thank you for taking the time to mention some of our associates by name for their service. We wish you could have stayed for more than six nights as well! Given that you expressed you wished you could stay "forever," we hope to at least see you again on a future trip to our area. It by chance there are future travel plans for a visit to Los Angeles, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Carmel. Thanks for being a guest with us during your time in Santa Monica. On behalf of Mario, Leo, Kristie, Alyssa, Stacy, Tony, Sam, Anthony, and everyone else on our team, we loved meeting you and were happy to be of service during your vacation. We also want to wish you safe travels always. Many thanks.

Yours in Hospitality,

Angela Rogers

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Great location, you are basically in the heart of everything.
Service from the front office staff was great, and checkin and check out was pretty quick.
The rooms and furniture are very dated.
The air con hardly worked, and the fan was nice.
Beds comfortable, but don't expect anything too flash here.
Wifi was great and fast.
Overall for $350 AUD - it's very overpriced, but it's during the US Summer, so I guess it's to be expected.
Would stay here again....

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Carmel and your mention of our great location for visiting Santa Monica. Was also very happy to read your comments about our front office staff. Thank you for those kind words. Although I respect and acknowledge your comments on pricing, we feel we are very competitively priced for a stay in Santa Monica. We do try and keep our rates reasonable and hopefully a value for a visit to our area. I hope you enjoyed your visit to our world class destination and had a memorable time visiting the United States. Please come back and see us again! Warmest regards, Angela.

Reviewed July 17, 2017

Room at side of hotel over looking the shopping centre across the road. The noise at night was unbelieveable. The windows have single glazing so you get to hear people talking as they walk past all night.
I got to hear the homeless guy curse loudly and at length because he wasn't happy about something.
The middle aged gentleman at front desk managed to keep me at check in for 20mins while he struggled with the computer system. He had the good grace to apoligise while looking at the screen but managed never to make eye contact or even look in my direction in all that time while i stood staring at him. He just kept clicking the mouse and eventually gave me one room key . I then pointed out that i had given him a voucher that clearly stated i had 2 rooms booked. He then gave me 2 Queen rooms instead of 1 King and 1 Queen room. I stayed in 7 hotels during my trip to the states and this guy was by far the worst as regards atitude and incompetence that i met. He most definitely did not want to be doing his job and maybe he should listen to the young girl he was working wiuth. She as least seems to want to be there and smiled at the customers who came her way.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank oriordd
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2017

It is with great disappointment and regret that I read your review regarding our incompetent guest service at check-in. There are limits to what noise we can control coming from the street at night, but providing exceptional guest service without an “attitude” and delivering considerate guest courtesy is well within our control and is very important to our culture and brand of service. What you have conveyed here is disrespectful to you as our guest well as to the rest of our team who work very hard to ensure they adhere to our best practices in guest service The member of our team that checked you in to our hotel obviously does not want to be part of our team and we will we ensure that any future guests are never subjected to that level of indifference in service again. Thank you for being a guest at Hotel Carmel and sharing your feedback with us. You have my personal as well as my professional apologies for our deficiencies in the check-in process. Hopefully, upon your departure from the hotel, a team member expressed our sincere appreciation for your business and being a guest of our hotel.

Angela