“Great Camping experience”
Review of Safari West

Safari West
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed overnight before our safari at Safari West in one of their tents. The tent was great for the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids as it had a King sized bed and a set of bunk beds. The only thing I was worried about it because of them using a regular mattress on the top bunk, there is really no rail, so I was afraid of my kid falling out in the middle of the night. Other then that, the beds were super comfy and because we went in late December I was also worried about the cold. Safari West made sure the no one was cold with space heaters in the room and electric blankets on all of the beds. In the middle of the night, the power went off and I was worried that we were going to freeze but they thought about that too, and it wasnt long before their back up generators kicked in so the cold was never an issue.

The only reason that I couldnt give them an excellent rating is because of the dinner buffet. When you stay there, you pretty much have to eat there as they lock the gate. For 2 adults and 2 kids it was over $100 not including if you wanted a can of Soda with your meal. (Hot Chocolate, Hot Tea, Coffee were included). That was pretty steep for what you got. The mac and cheese was horrible and even my kids wouldnt eat it, the salad was bland, and the tri tip was just okay. For that amount of money I was expecting a much better meal then we had.

All in all, I think that it was a great trip and something we will do again, just make other arrangements for something to eat for dinner. The staff is great and safari and property along with the tents were wonderful!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank horseloverm

Reviewed 27 November 2011

My family and I enjoyed a tour and Thanksgiving dinner at Safari West. One of the highlights of our trip was our interaction with the Cape Buffalo. They really don't like stuffed giraffes! We'll be talking about that for a long time. Thank you to Sydney for a great tour!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in Cabin 30 for one night... Because it's November, I thought we would freeze to death. But Safari West thought of everything! Thanks to two space heaters and a positively delightful electric blanket, we were SO cozy. It was a huge cabin. Very clean, and nicely decorated. We heard the flamingos a few times during the night and it just added to the magic. We really felt like we had traveled out of California and into the wild! The next day, we went on a wonderful safari tour of their immense acreage. We saw an amazing number of animals up super close. Our guide was very knowledgeable and informative. We adored her! We got to see the Giraffes from inches away... They came over to investigate when we drove into their enclosure (which is several acres large) and one almost kissed me on the nose! It was amazing, and something I shall never forget.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I was here 18 years ago and Safari West was a unique and wonderful daytime experience. A truck ride around an area similar to what might be seen in Africa is made interesting by excellent tour guides and plenty of animals. Great for kids, but adults who aren't pleased by screaming children might want to reconsider this, or insist on an adult group if possible.

I was scheduled to stay overnight with other people in a cottage, but made other arrangements when I saw that 6 people were expected to sleep in 3 beds, one double bed and a upper/lower bunk bed. Only one bathroom for 6? In the U.S.? OK, I'm picky, but I thought the cottage was depressing and overpriced and was fortunate to have alternative sleeping arrangements.

Dinner at Safari West was only fair. The chicken was good (dry, but I like that); however, the salad was unimaginative, and polenta and mac and cheese were greasy and probably made a direct trip to the diner's arteries. I had only a taste of each. The apple cobbler dessert was OK, but way too sweet, probably in deference to kids who like sugared-up everything.

So, here's my suggestion: Take the best animal tour. Your guide will be knowledgable and you'll see lots of animals up close (no petting animals on the tour, though). The tour including a short walk to see some caged animals and an aviary takes about 3 hours, and it's 3 hours well spent. It's not cheap: $68 per adult, and $30 per child.

Stay at Safari West overnight only if you're comfortable with the limited number of beds and that there's only one bathroom. This is not an accommodation for people who want comfort. So, know what you're buying because the cottages are expensive (see Safari West website) and you might be better off staying at a conventional hotel. Also, while it's convenient to eat there if you're staying there, be aware that the food is marginally good at best, and you'll sit at long dining tables with chairs that are ridiculously low. It's simply not comfortable to eat there in my opinion.

Of course, if you want a great safari-like experience and don't go to Africa, consider spending a day in the San Diego Zoo animal park in Escondido, CA, North of San Diego. There's a train ride through the park that costs less and gives you a similar experience, and there's much more to see as you walk through that park. Most areas in Safari West are for tour vehicles only with no walking because many of the animals are roaming freely and they might eat you. Just kidding........I think.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank iQuack
safariwinecountry, Guest Relations Manager at Safari West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Dear Guest (Love your user name IQuack).

Thank you for your post, I’ll be sure to let guides know you enjoyed the safari tour. The whole experience at Safari West is getting back to basics and enjoying the profound simple pleasures of family and nature that are all too often overlooked.

I hear what you’re saying about the cottage for six people – our one and only cottage is generally meant for guests who are shy of spending the evening in a safari tent.

I definitely recommend the tents - they are so much fun - and they have more in common with a bed and breakfast than a camp ground...just with a view of giraffes! Our tents are imported directly from Africa. We now have 30 tents, several with queen double beds and three tents with full size bunk beds for children. The remainder are 15 King Tents. Beautiful and romantic – but, still just with one bathroom!

However, I understand your family was not comfortable with the lodging and the dining experience. It truly is our desire to achieve 100% guest satisfaction, and I truly apologize your lodging and dining experience was less than you expected. And, you made some very good points - I will speak to the chef about the dinner the evening you arrived. I'm afraid, we can't do much about the safari chairs - they were imported from Africa..albeit, they are a bit low.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your experience – and, we do hope you return for a third visit – and, when we see you again...we shall exceed your expectations!

Cordially,
Aphrodite

Reviewed 26 September 2011

As a Nor-Cal native, I cannot imagine how we missed this place. A real African safari just outside Santa Rosa in the Mayacamas mountains. You sleep in luxury tent hotel rooms, all first class. Great food, riding on an "Indiana Jones" Power Wagon through open country, with wild animals coming right up to your open car. Everything was perfect, and we could not find one issue to change. Don't miss this. Great for visiting relatives, children, adults, and seniors. If you are short on cash, do the safari tour without staying overnight, but you'll miss the evening and nights in Africa! Everything but the mosquitoes and malaria!

Room Tip: Every tent bedroom is identical. Choose higher up numbers to sleep farther away from the animal noi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Denzo1
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I was lucky to be invited by a friend to visit this great place. It was so much fun staying in a tent "out of Africa" instead of in Africa. The attention to detail is great, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The food was very good. It does get quite cold at night and in the early mornings but the beds have electric blankets and there are heaters in the tent. The beds were super comfortable and it was lovely to wake up overlooking a small pond in the middle of nature; it's a beautiful environment and the landscaping is so well done. I generally don't like zoos but the animals are well kept here and have the best possible environment out of the wild. The owners have done an amazing job bringing a taste of Africa to northern California. This is a wonderful place to bring children so they can get a glimpse of what a safari would be like and to see animals and birds in an extremely natural setting. I want to return with my family, especially the grand children.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annie B
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My boyfriend took me for the three hour safari tour and we had a blast. Out guide, Leslie, was AMAZING!!!!! So knowledgable about all the animals.

There aren't lions or elephants but the cheetahs, giraffes and other animals were fun to see.

I highly recommend going here. I can't wait to go back and do one of their speciality tours where you can feed the animals and get a picture with a cheetah ;)

• Stayed: September 2011
16.2 km away
H2 Hotel
H2 Hotel
#2 of 9 in Healdsburg

Been to Safari West? Share your experiences!