“Rude service”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Los Angeles, California
“Rude service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Before I write this I should mention Holiday Inn asked me to fill out a survey online which I did expressing my unhappiness and asked someone to contact me. No one ever did. They clearly do not value their customers or wish to right wrongs.I stayed their for one night on a girls trip. I booked 2 rooms and cancelled one 3 days before. I was thanked for calling and told it was taken care of and when we arrived on Saturday I still had a reservation for both rooms. I informed them I had cancelled the room days earlier and they said there was nothing they could do without a confirmation (which I didn't ask to get over the phone, my mistake, lesson learned). So we ended up with 6 beds for 5 people when we only needed 3. When I went to check out the next day I was overcharged 20 dollars for each room. This time I knew I had a confirmation and so I waited in a long line to use the slowest computer while all my friends had breakfast. They would not accept the confirmation with the quote I was given even though I showed it to them on my phone. The front desk person was very rude. I asked to speak to the manager on duty. There was a sign posting his name at the front desk. She chuckled and said he didn't work on Sundays but she could call him. She called and he didn't answer. She said without a manager's approval there was nothing she could do.... but there was no manager to speak to. Finally when I refused to leave she took the 20 dollars off each room (including the room I called to cancel, how kind). Another group we were with stayed across the street at the Kronberg inn and had a lovely experience. Oh the Spa at the Holiday in was filthy and had bugs. A light in our room would not turn off so they sent a guy with a ladder to unscrew the bulb because they couldn't fix it. We will be staying across the street from here on out. Breakfast was free and decent. The mattress was the best part.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tahnee m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Tahnee m,

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were on a tour and stopping in Solvang for one night. Solvang has one main road running through it and the hotel is at one end of that road. A lovely stroll along the road will see all the Dutch style shops/house and restaurant, very picturesque and very tidy. The night we stayed there was a massive power cut early evening and the whole town was in darkness, so no hot food available to order. The Hotel management thinking on their feet provided free water, coffee, bagels and muffins. A credit
We also enjoyed free internet whilst there and a complimentary breakfast in the evening.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Marrowboy
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Enjoyed our short stay in Solvang ! This hotel had underground parking but easy access with stairs and elevator. The room was large and clean with microwave and fridge . We were on the street side .. some noise.. but not bad.. Great breakfast ! Easy walk to see the town.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rboydinlb
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here 2 nights, lots of plusses: great location to downtown Solvang, free underground parking, great breakfast (a step above the average buffet w/bisquits & gravy, bacon, pancakes, cinnamon rolls). Older hotel, our room was nothing fancy but good size and clean, w/ flat screen TV. Only complaint was that we had a street-facing view and, although nice to check out the action on the main drag, it was noisy for sleeping (but not impossible). Perfectly adequate hotel stay with reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Takemesomewhere
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed here for one night. The room is small but adequate. Very basic amenities, but room seemed clean and tidy. The building does seem older, but was renovated. Buffet type breakfast is provided downstairs with eggs, meat, coffee, pastries, juices and fruit. Not gourmet but ok to fill you up and send you on your way. I might stay here again, but would also want to try other hotels in the area. Perfectly fine if you're not into hotel ambiance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CotijaBob
Vista, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We drove to Solvang to experience the Danish culture and shops. This hotel is convenient to the Solvang shopping district. We parked our car in the underground parking and did not need it until we left town the next day. The hotel with filled to capacity so the staff was very busy, but we did have an early complementary breakfast at a table shared with our friends.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LarryErickson
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Nice hotel, good location, just as you reach Solvang from 101. Hotel is in 2 adjacent buildings both with underground parking. Hotel was full when we were there so underground parking was full but there are some spaces adjacent to each garage and adjacent to building B on the side street, as well as the short term checkin parking which we were told was ok to use at night. Room and bathroom were a good size and clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't take the breakfast but fresh fruit would be a nice addition. Would stay there again. Love Solvang!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple