“Lots of Competition and This Place Fares Well!”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was a convenient stop for us between UC Santa Cruz and a visit the following day to UC Santa Barbara. Convenient free underground parking. Pleasant staff and decent breakfast. I booked this property on Priceline and got a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed there for one night, March 30th. As we brought our stuff up to the room and went to lay down for an hour or so before going out for the night, it seemed pretty loud. There were kids being loud in the hallway and there were lots of slamming doors. It was afternoon, so, not a bid deal. We figured we'd be in for a terrible awakening by kids the next day, but that actually didn't happen.

The King bed was very comfortable and the linens were fresh and pillows were good. It was very comfortable overall. The shades drew tightly down so you could get a good night's rest with only a little bit of light coming in in the morning. There was a back patio which looked over a beautiful landscape behind the hotel. It was great to hear the birds and see that pretty view outside our balcony.

The eggs for breakfast were good and they had bacon, which is always a plus. the bacon was really super thin so it wasn't great, but, it was bacon nonetheless, so we'll leave it at that. The English Muffin seemed like it was a normal, out of the plastic bag muffin and i didn't even finish it, but they also had bagels and regular bread.

We asked if they had any tasting passes and they gave us two, which were both 2 for 1 tastings. A different hotel was able to give us free passes to many of the great wineries, but the HIE didn't have so much of that.

Overall, I wasn't unhappy with anything and would say it's a decent place to stay. I think I'd try to stay somewhere else though just to see what other places have to offer. As a matter of fact I did stay at the Hadsten House, which did have a great list of wineries that you can taste at, but that place wasn't great, so. I wouldn't stay there again, but, you can read my other review on that place.

Overally on HIE, thumbs up.

Room Tip: Grab a room in the back away from the street. Get a meadow view if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

darogo,

Thank you for you recent stay, and providing feedback. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed the service and accommodations received. We hope to have the honor of serving you again the next time you are in Solvang.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We spent one night at the Holiday Inn in Solvang and we had no complaints. We got a handicap room so the shower was kind of a pain but the room was clean and very quiet. The staff was friendly. The bed was a little soft but I had no trouble sleeping. The breakfast was pretty good but Paula's down the street drew us in with their Danish pancakes.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back, not the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandiegorabbit
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Sandiegorabbit,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is an OK hotel if you want someplace decent to stay for a weekend or quick trip. The front staff was always friendly and greeted you. Our room was towards the back so it was quiet. The room and bathrooms were a good size for the price. The King size bed was decent but not great. The breakfast buffet was included and it was a good selection.
The bathroom did not have any counter space for our toiletries. Good size bathroom. Too bad they didn't make the counters bigger. For two people they only gave us 2 towels and they are thin. I should have asked for more towels.
The windows in the room were very dirty on the outside. I wish they would clean them so I could see the view of the lovely hills.
There was a microwave and small refrigerator in the room which is nice. However, we did not use the microwave at all. We were there for 2 days and we were packing up to check out. I smelled something funny. I finally found food that was left in the microwave. So the maid did not clean or check the microwave before we checked in nor when she cleaned our room. We did tell the front desk about this and they apologized.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PlayitaTravel
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear PlayitaTravel,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly thank you for bringing the housekeeping concern to our attention as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made. Thank you again for your review.

Lin S.
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Before I write this I should mention Holiday Inn asked me to fill out a survey online which I did expressing my unhappiness and asked someone to contact me. No one ever did. They clearly do not value their customers or wish to right wrongs.I stayed their for one night on a girls trip. I booked 2 rooms and cancelled one 3 days before. I was thanked for calling and told it was taken care of and when we arrived on Saturday I still had a reservation for both rooms. I informed them I had cancelled the room days earlier and they said there was nothing they could do without a confirmation (which I didn't ask to get over the phone, my mistake, lesson learned). So we ended up with 6 beds for 5 people when we only needed 3. When I went to check out the next day I was overcharged 20 dollars for each room. This time I knew I had a confirmation and so I waited in a long line to use the slowest computer while all my friends had breakfast. They would not accept the confirmation with the quote I was given even though I showed it to them on my phone. The front desk person was very rude. I asked to speak to the manager on duty. There was a sign posting his name at the front desk. She chuckled and said he didn't work on Sundays but she could call him. She called and he didn't answer. She said without a manager's approval there was nothing she could do.... but there was no manager to speak to. Finally when I refused to leave she took the 20 dollars off each room (including the room I called to cancel, how kind). Another group we were with stayed across the street at the Kronberg inn and had a lovely experience. Oh the Spa at the Holiday in was filthy and had bugs. A light in our room would not turn off so they sent a guy with a ladder to unscrew the bulb because they couldn't fix it. We will be staying across the street from here on out. Breakfast was free and decent. The mattress was the best part.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tahnee m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Tahnee m,

Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were on a tour and stopping in Solvang for one night. Solvang has one main road running through it and the hotel is at one end of that road. A lovely stroll along the road will see all the Dutch style shops/house and restaurant, very picturesque and very tidy. The night we stayed there was a massive power cut early evening and the whole town was in darkness, so no hot food available to order. The Hotel management thinking on their feet provided free water, coffee, bagels and muffins. A credit
We also enjoyed free internet whilst there and a complimentary breakfast in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Marrowboy
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Enjoyed our short stay in Solvang ! This hotel had underground parking but easy access with stairs and elevator. The room was large and clean with microwave and fridge . We were on the street side .. some noise.. but not bad.. Great breakfast ! Easy walk to see the town.

• Stayed: February 2012