“Nice Valentine's Dinner”
Review of Shiro

Shiro
Reserve with OpenTable
Shiro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$32 - US$55
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fair Oaks Ave.
Transit: South Pasadena Metro Station .4 miles from the Restaurant
Description: Our food is only the best of the ingredients presented so that their excellence shines through. Our caring staff is here to help you enjoy your meal. We have a full bar.
Reviewed February 15, 2017

Had a lovely Valentine's dinner with my wife. Though it was a prix fixe menu, there several good choices including the fried whole catfish. The appetizer sampler was tasty while my wife loved the duck breast second course while I had the nice crab cakes.

I had the whole catfish which was delicious. The meat was tender while the skin was crispy. My wife the John Dory which was also tender. The passionfruit cheesecake was so light it was like eating air. The service was friendly and super attentive. It was a wonderful meal.

1  Thank peterlc63

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

I came here for the dineLA this year.
I ordered salmon tartare tacos, pork loins and chocolate soufflé. I also had the red wine tasting/pairing.

The wines were alright. I got three samples that weren't my favorites, but they were not disastrous.

My appetizer, the salmon tartare taco, was actually really really good. My salmon was perfectly seasoned, the the taco shells were fresh and crispy.

The pork loin was very nicely sliced and the flavor was good. It wasn't as impressive as the taco, but I still enjoyed it.

The dessert, however, was a big disappointment. It was obviously prepared a while back and waiting to be served. The flavor also wasn't good.

I'm not sure if it was because I ordered from the dineLA menu, or dessert is not their strong point, I would really hope their regular desserts taste a lot better than the soufflé I had.

Our waiter wasn't attentive nor friendly, but the hostess was completely the opposite and made our experience better. The bread was super fresh and delicious.

I would have given it a 3.5, but since there's no half point, I decided to run it up. Apparently this restaurant is one of the local favorites. I would come back again if I were in the area next time.

Reviewed December 3, 2016

We should be frequenting this restaurant more often, but when you travel some distance away it needs to be planned ahead. Every time we dine here we are completely satisfied. The food is delicious, the staff professional and friendly. If you don't order it anywhere else, this IS the restaurant to order catfish. That being said, the other choices are always excellent! Always a pleasant, quiet evening.

Reviewed August 8, 2016

A one of a kind fried catfish dish that should not overwhelm other excellent choices on their menu. Friendly service. A south pasadena gem.

Reviewed July 10, 2016

We have been here before and enjoyed our meal enough to return. This time, we spotted an interesting dish: Whole sizzling catfish. Thinking it would be too much for one person, we decided to split the one dish. It was excellent, and we both felt we could have eaten more. However, this left us enough room so we each ordered the crème brule with fresh fruit for dessert. Although the portions were generous, it was so good that we both finished it all. Wonderful meal and reason enough for us to return to South Pasadena.