“Would NOT stay here again! If we could give it a NEGATIVE 5 stars we would!”

Howard Johnson Stockton
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Stockton
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Can't believe that the Howard Johnson name is associated with this property. We have stayed at several "HoJo's" in the past and really enjoyed them, this was the one exception that made our family rethink staying at another Howard Johnson property.
We reserved on line, trying to prepare as best we could for a college road trip- budget was a top priority. We weren't expecting anything fancy since we really only needed a place to lay our heads- we were afraid to even do that here. When we arrived we noticed that the downtown Stockton area was actually fairly clean for a "big city", we got to the location at approximately 6pm on a Thursday night, too late to cancel per our on-line reservation agreement. The streets were not busy and most businesses had closed for the day INCLUDING the restaurants that were in the vicinity so we had to drive about 15 minutes away to find an OPEN restaurant. We decided, partially due to the abandoned car in the parking lot, clientelle and staff that we'd get take out and "hunker down" for the night. While doing your research you should note that the county courthouse is right across the street from this location and the police station is just the next block up so because of the condition of this property you may consider some of the clientelle to be "undesirable"-- but you would think many professionals doing business with the county & other local business would be attracted to the location of this property. We did not realize the actual location until we arrived. It's also right across from the river walk & Stockton marina, which is really nice, again you would think this property would keep higher standards.

The property- the exterior is old and needs to pressure washed, that would take care of most of the visual appeal from the outside. There was an abandoned red car that must have been there for atleast a week, enough for spider webs to appear and leaves/rubbish to gather around the tires. the hotel signage boasts "renovated rooms", we were NOT in one of them. After check out we joked about that since it technically would not be false advertisement if they did have only 2 renovated rooms! There was a man "dumpster diving". When we arrived on our 2nd floor corridor we found 2 dirty/stained towels just outside our doorway. The elevator wreaked of urine!

The room- at first glance, visually would have been acceptable just old.
BUT it didn't just "smell", it wreaked of smoke & cigarettes. A closer look- the a/c was falling apart, the temperature only functioned at one temperature, COLD! Glad there wasn't a fire because we didn't even have a working smoke/fire alarm! There was a dead moth & dirt/dust in the bathroom, and years of dirt buildup in the corners of the room and sink area. Basically housekeeping is paid to walk in and walk out of the room. The bed sheets seemed to be clean BUT were stained. The sink area smelled like a mens urinal, we hoped that someone had not relieved themselves and hoped that it was just the smell of pine-sol, wishful thinking? The light fixtures had junk in them that could easily have been cleaned out. There was no remote control for the TV. The bathtub was badly stained and tub grips were peeling away. One of our neighbors was extremely loud yelling and banging doors/dresser drawers. The a/c drowned out most of the other noise except the occassional loud motor and booming bass & music at 2 in the morning! Did we feel comfortable? NO- we slept with the lights on and one eye open, hoping the rental car would still be there in the morning. We included some of the pics, sorry but we didn't feel that fixing the beds would have enhanced the picture for you.

The staff- the only good experience was at check out, the girl that worked on Friday morning was very pleasant and apologetic when I asked about breakfast. She explained that the "guy" who gets there breakfast items did not return from his scheduled vacation so their menu was limited. I only saw bulk cereal, did not even see any milk- we chose NOT to have breakfast here after the night we had.
ALSO those 2 towels I mentioned outside our door- we now believe they belonged to our room. I called to the front desk, figured I'd be able to walk down and get 2 more towels. We had four people and only two towels upon arrival. The girl at the front desk(April) answered, I asked for 2 more towels and she asked me what room we were in. I said room #223, and she said, "umm...oh, we don't have any more towels available". I was of course shocked and perturbed, explained that to the family-- toughed it out and used the HAND TOWELS as bath towels for two of us! Internet, they say they have it but we were not able to get access and again the front desk was of no assistance.

Advice-- if you stay here make sure you're getting a newly renovated room and don't expect ANY SERVICE. And of course definitely request not to be in room 223. BETTER advice do NOT stay here. Again if we could give a NEGATIVE 5 stars we would!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank diamondleo
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Stockton

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Had a great time at the Howard Johnson, room was nice and clean and have very friendly service. Room was right by the pool, and the kids had great time at the pool. Will stay again if had a chance.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jayeshjadav
Reviewed 16 February 2010

The room was very dirty a hole in bathroom wall bathroom t seat was broken

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This was the first time I booked a hotel through the Southwest Air Reservations line. The photos from the hotel looked ordinary and rates reasonable. The location of the hotel is marginal, at best. The hotel and our room were a dump. I would never have stayed if we didn't already have reservations - and I thought about leaving anyway. The place is dirty, old, in ill repair, and looks like it belonged near the bus station, which it is. Very seedy. Looks like skid row. Street people came in off the streets for the continental breakfast. I walked on the dirty carpet in my socks. The old bath tub wouldn't stop leaking. I couldn't wait to get home and take a hot bath.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank raisesservicepuppies
Reviewed 19 August 2009

There were dead grasshoppers under the blankets of the bed. It was kind of dirty. Plumbing problems in our first room and other rooms that we saw them working on. The hotel was gross.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank HaraldCalifornia
Reviewed 7 June 2009

I have been traveling from Bay Area to Stockton very often. I become a regular customer of this hotel. I like it because its very convenient location, which is downtown of Stockton. The rooms are clean, they all have micro wave, refrigerator and free wireless internet access. Lots of parking spaces. The Manager is nice, the service is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2008

We needed to stay in Stockton to attend my daughter's graduation from UOP on May 17, 2008. Booked this hotel thru Hotwire so I didn't know the hotel until after I had paid for it. After reading the negative reviews I was apprehensive but had hoped that maybe ownership had changed and things were improving. Not! It started at check-in where my credit card was run for the full room price. After a little convincing the clerk finally believed me that I had pre-paid with Hotwire and tore up the charge. Let's hope it doesn't appear on my statement!

We walked into the very cramped room and turned on the antique window air conditioner since the room was stifling. My teenage son (140 pounds) sat on the bed and the bed broke! One side was now 8 inches lower than the other. No remote for the T.V. After less than five minutes all of our white socks were black from the filthy carpet. Sent the kids down to the office to get coffee mugs and one more set of towels. Clerk told them no coffee cups until 7AM when the mugs would be in the lobby and you cannot have any towels since you were already alloted three sets. We had 4 people in our room who had to share towels because this hotel rations them like they were gold. Noisy, dump!

3  Thank renobob6
Modestotraveller, Manager at Howard Johnson Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2009

Thank you for the comments regarding your previous stay with us. We realize that some time has passed since this review was submitted but as new owners wanted to share the improvements that have occurred.

Since May 2008, the staff and management have taken several key steps to improve the overall experience of our guests. Through improved customer service and guest room upgrades our guests have realized a much improved overall stay experience. With feedback such as this, it allows us to continue our focus on improving those areas that are important to our guests. .

We appreciate again the comments of your stay and do hope to see you soon so that it will allow us to show the improved Howard Johnson in Stockton.