“Good vegetarian food!”

Cuisines: American, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2014

Very good vegetarian food if you are a vegi lover.
I love the thali options. Lots of delicious items in one thali order.

Reviewed September 29, 2014

A no-frills old Denny's style eatery building has been transformed into one of South India's popular international chains, sort of like a classier McDonald's (because McD's is very very international).

I don't eat here very often because the food is rich, and somewhat fattening. But it is consistently good, and nails the South Indian classics, such as dosas, curd and tamarind rice, masala tea, Madras coffee, and makes a pretty satisfying thali.

The chutneys are good. It's good every time. I've never had a sub-par meal. The atmosphere can be chaotic, but its comfortable too, and the staff is generally friendly.

I will go routinely when I can't live another day without a dosa and a masala chai for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed September 28, 2014

Towards the tail of my weeks long visit in the US, I was craving for authentic south Indian fare,its easy to find north Indian but difficult to find a south Indian one where taste is not compromised.
When a friend suggested that there is Saravana bhavan nearby, I jumped out of my seat.

Was a bit anxious if the taste would be like the one in India, oh Boy ! It was almost identical. Hats off to the team for consistent flavors.

This restaurant serves home-style South Indian food: dosas, idlis, utthapam, kara bhat, kesari bhat & of course full thali-type South Indian meals.

Food is very reasonably priced too.
PS - Hygenic, basic setting so dont expect frills. Only expect mouth watering delicacies :)

Reviewed August 7, 2014

The food here was very average, restaurant has a "worn" and dated look. Very poor service. Had to literally get up walk to a server and physically get him to our table to take the order. The waiters just dump the food on the table without care if they are spilling something or not.

After waiting for almost 20 mins (after the meal) for our coffee (which we had ordered right when we placed the meal order -- based on their service levels and difficulty in us getting a waiter), we walked up and asked the manager to cancel the coffee and get us our check. 5 mins later they bring coffee and leave it on the table. We called the waiter (again!), refused the coffee and asked again for the check. They promptly gave the coffee to someone else a couple of tables down and when we go the check, the coffees were added on to that. Took us a fair bit of time to resolve that!

Not a pleasant experience....there are other places to go to where the service is far better with better food!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have been to this place before and now visited again with some colleagues. I must say the place has become quite rundown.
The first thing that gets to you is the service. It is abysmal and really should improve much. It has gone down a notch from my past visit.
1. The Waiter took more than 5 minutes to bring the menu card
2. The waiter goes back and comes in 30 seconds to take the order. You cannot expect someone to take a decision this fast if the menu card runs two pages with 50 items.
And conveniently forgets to come back for an order for the next 15 minutes.
3. The food is good and is brought to our table within 5-10 minutes of order.
4. The mini idly sambar is given without coconut chutney (we expect you to give chutney as that is how it should be served if you want consider yourself authentic South Indian)
5. The adai avial, poori, dosa, mango lassi were all great
6. The waiter brings the bill to the table but refuses to take the payment at our table, instead asks us to go to the counter and pay the bill. He did not do it with another guest so why the discrimination?

Overall, this restaurant has become much worse compared to my earlier visits. I have given an average just because the taste of food is good and averages out the rest of the bad parts.