“Felt like home”

Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley II
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed here for 6 weeks this summer. I was staying with my wife and a 3 year old kid. The rooms are nice and functional. Even though they are old they have been kept clean and without any problems as such. The kitchen was well stocked. Enough for us to be able to cook whenever we felt like. The breakfast had a nice spread. The evening reception everyday again had a good spread and we used to be full most of the days to not need to have dinner again. Staff was friendly and always ready to help. If you are looking for a room with flat panel TVs, sleek new gadgets in the room and modern interiors, then this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a stay with family, with lots of open space and greenery and a helpful staff, choose this place. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 June 2010

My first stay here was in 2001. This is a typical residence inn. Located close to many tech companies and key highways. The staff are friendly and efficient.

Rooms can be dark particularly if you have a ground floor room (not much of an issue for me as I only sleep here). Best to ask for a room that dose not face the highway to ensure it's quiet.

I dont think the rooms have changed at all in 10 years. Except for free unlimited wifi and assuming updated linen.

If it wasn't for sentimental reasons this may not be my first time pick.

Reviewed 19 March 2010

This place is located very close to all the Silicon valley. The breakfast here is awesome, real hot stuff. Wonderful, when you are on a business trip and need a big breakfast to start your day.

The building is older. So, things like the heat knob and TVs etc are kinda old. The premises are well maintained and clean.

The property is spread out, so WIFI signal strength can vary. I had to get a signal booster (free checkout from reception), but it worked. It was a little slow, though.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Second time I have stayed here. I was compressed for time and traveling alone so the little things I wanted, I didn't get. The extras I couldn't use.

I could see traveling with a close companion. Enjoying the time away in the room or during the non-winter months the little hot tubs outside sprinkled around the complex.

I was eating out so the large kitchen wasn't a plus. I couldn't spin the TV around to watch it from the bed. The fold out stand for luggage wasn't provided. The wireless was weak and very spotty. The desk was too small and I fought with the outlets. Lastly, as last time, the outside noise level was pretty impressive from the express way.

A couple of times I needed a hotel restaurant or room service, no such luck. I walked down to the main building, loaded up on snacks and little wine bottles. Bleh.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank always_economy_class
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Clean but outdated, with smaller rooms than the newer Residence Inns. Under a flight path to the San Jose Airport. Furniture too large for space in room. The kitchen was missing large (dinner size) plates and the coffee maker was gone, although I didn't notice the coffee maker missing until Friday night after I bought coffee to make on Sat. morning. When I mentioned this at the front desk on Sat. morning, they asked "and this is the first time you're reporting it?" Made me feel like I was being accused of taking it, so put on the defensive, I explained that I had no reason to use it on prior morning because I leave very early, but thought I'd enjoy my coffee on Sat. morning. I got a maker, but it was a hassel. The TV remote was also missing, and the TV was an old "tube" TV with fading colors.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SeasondTravlr
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I don't know why they don't built hotels like this one anymore. Almost like a holiday village set up. It has to be a half a dozen acres (That's probably why they don't built hotels like this one any more. Makes me wonder the value of the land this hotel is sitting on in the heart of Silicon Valley) Spending many days on the road each year, it is refreshing to get a garden setting for a change.
What is more refreshing is the staff. Over the years I had interactions with most of them and it is nice to see so many of them when I return. I wish my company had this kind of retention rate! Some have been there 20+ years. How is that possible in today's world???
The thing is, they treat me and my coworkers well, each and every time. I can talk about the employees all day long to be honest. After a year when I return how does the breakfast server remember my name?? Is that weird? Am I supposed to expect that?
Talking about the breakfast, we have a small bet going with my coworkers to see if we are going to ran into more variety anywhere else where it is included in the price of the room. It is not appealing to me at all but one of my room mates is in love with the Asian breakfast section with the seaweed, pickled weird vegetables, steam rice and green tea. It is nice to see the variety considering the international make up of our crew. They have Indian food night every week. You might think that is not so out of ordinary but how about Korean night??? The food at night also is included in the room rate and it is not just snacks. Full meal with vegetarian items and the beer and vine included!
The workout facility is rather small. I would say that is one negative about the place. However, I have to recognize the hotel about this: This visit I noticed as their customer you get a free membership to a local full service gym. I have not tried the place out yet but during my next visit I will give it a shot.
Over all it is an older hotel but maintained very well and always clean.
People are friendly and helpful.
Almost forgot; at one corner of the hotel they have a dog park. Fenced, off-leash set up. I don't travel with my dogs but it caught my attention this time because of the bright red mini fire hydrant in it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I stayed in Residence Inn, Sunnyvale during August 2007 for 2 weeks on a business trip. I found the stay very comfortable.

The complementary breakfast and evening snacks were very tasty and enjoyable.

There were Indian snacks like vegetable cutlets and Samosas served during the evenings much to our surprise and delight being vegetarians.

And not to forget the complementary shuttle service driven by Ruby in the mornings and Mark in the evenings. We had a very convenient pick up and drop facility that I did not see in any other hotel that I stayed in either US or Canada.

In all, I really enjoyed my stay and trip and would like to stay once again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)