“surprisingly sunny experience in sunnyvale!”
Review of The Domain Hotel

The Domain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was prepared for the worst when the company insisted that 50 of stay here. And the price was low enough that my expectations were minimal. But happily, the Domain was efficient, sufficient and friendly. The room was basic but comfortable. There were plenty of outlets. The bed was comfortable. There were extra blankets and pillows. Things that seem obvious but are so often omitted from chic, boutique hotels.

The Domain is a renovated motel, and they have wisely chosen to keep the feel of a motel with modern amenities. The overall effect is rather kitschy in nature.

Breakfast was plentiful and fast. The bar stocked great California wines. And the front desk team was exceptionally pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have stayed at the Domain Sunnyvale many times and have found it to be a very conformable hotel. They have great breakfast (included in room rent), complimentary internet and great and spacious rooms. The heated pool (though small) is another great attraction for me. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose the ones on the 4rd floor with a balcony facing the outside
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The is a fabulous hotel! I stayed one night - a Friday. The decor is fantastic - fun yet not over the top. The staff was very nice. The room is amazing. There is a sleep number bed that you can adjust to your favorite firmness - my number is 40. That made all the difference in a good nights sleep in a strange place. The room as a lot of space and the decor is interesting, but still comfortable/relaxing. The closet is HUGE and there is a refridgerator in the room. To be green, the water pressure is reduced. For the ladies, that can mean flat hair. But, a minor point.
The breakfast was $12.95 for a small buffet. Since I had a $6 coupon I decided to try it. I don't recommend it. The items seemed to be sitting out the whole time (I went 9:30a and it closes at 10a). The hasbrowns were soggy and tasteless. The bacon had that hard crunch of sitting around. he breakfast does not do the hotel justice - stay at the hotel go out for breakfast!

Room Tip: As for one at the back, away from El Camino (it's a very busy street).
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
DomainHotel, Front Office Supervisor at The Domain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you for loving the hotel! We love our hotel too!
We try very hard to provide a different experience and atmosphere while guests are with us and it sounds like we exceeded your expectations. However, the only area we fell short was the breakfast and I apologize for that. I have taken your feedback and disseminated to the correct department head and we will work on providing a better experience for all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to write about us.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

This hotel looks very modern, is very clean, and looks like an outstanding value for the price.

That said, the walls (or at least the ceiling) are very very thin...I could hear people walking around, not stomping, just walking. I can imagine how bad it could be if I had noisy neighbors.

For a hotel of this top quality, in all respects easily 4-star, I cannot believe they do not have sound deadening between the floors. If you stay here, stay on the top floor...that should be better.

Also, they stuck me into a Sleep Number bed without saying anything. Either you love them or hate them so I would have changed rooms but I had already unpacked everything before I noticed. Annoying to say the least.

Room Tip: Top Floor, ask for non-Sleep Number bed
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at the Domain with some colleagues for 5 nights in October 2011. I would summarise my stay as follows:

*Requested room to be ready early and it was (makes for a happy start)
*Rooms are bright and nicely decorated
*Good rate through expedia
*Shuttle service is great (very friendly driver in the mornings we didn't get it in the evenings) and Annette at front desk was very accommodating with changes during the week
*In general, the staff were very helpful and friendly
*Foyer was really lovely; bright and big
*Didn't check out the pool or exercise facilities so can't comment
*Went to the bar one evening and it's nice (small but adequate)
*Room was nice, good bed linen but the beds could have been a little more comfortable
*Air con was really cold, couldn't figure out how to turn the fan down
*Water in the room wasn't complimentary so be carefu!
*Could have done with more toiletries in the bathroom as there were 2 of us sharing

I would pick this hotel over the nearby Avante.

Thanks to the staff for a nice stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back not overlooking the foyer for a quieter sleep
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
DomainHotel, Front Office Supervisor at The Domain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

Fantastic! I have posted this all over our hotel so all the staff can see what an awesome experience you had. Thank you for taking the time to write about us!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

centrally located at el camino, decent rooms, good breakfast. Very good value for money

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind words. We love our location and try our best to provide an atmosphere that won’t leave your wallet empty. We have a larger breakfast then most in the area and we are happy with the options we supply for all of our guests. Thanks again!

Reviewed 21 September 2011

In the middle of Silicon Valley, well done refurbish of older property.
Modern decorations of the room make them very nice to enjoy your stay.
(a little low ceiling and little noisy AC though)
Helpful guys at the reception and joyful bar attendants.

The only concern is somehow strange breakfast, but it's still served properly and with big attention from the staff.

Free parking at the property. Well connected to the other places in SV.

Very good deals for the weekends.

Room Tip: if your room is noisy, ask the reception for a change - they are always willing to do so
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
DomainHotel, Front Office Supervisor at The Domain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

We strive for excellence in our service and our amenities and it pleases us you were accommodated and comfortable. We try to accommodate lower rates for our weekend travelers and on holidays. Our breakfast is a little different than most breakfasts offered in the area but we pride ourselves in our eclectic array selection.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
1.1 km away
3.3 km away
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!