“Good staff, so-so hotel”
Review of The Domain Hotel

The Domain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights, booked through priceline. Overall, I wasn't wowed by the hotel -- I hated the decor and there were some problems with my original room. Water pressure and hot water seem to be an issue, not just in the 2 rooms I stayed in, but also in a friend's room -- she said she had to turn on the hot water full blast and wait several minutes for the hot water to arrive. In my rooms, I found that at its hottest, the hot water was just barely hot enough, and my first room didn't have great water pressure.

The room was somewhat basic, but clean. I discovered at bedtime that the TV didn't work, the phone on the bedside table didn't work and one of the reading lights didn't work. When I called the front desk, the clerk offered to send someone up immediately to fix the TV, but we were tired an decided to just go to sleep instead. During the night we discovered that the air conditioner was very loud, making it hard to sleep. There was a window, but I couldn't get it to open. All in all, not a great night's sleep.

In the morning we called about the TV again, and the manager gave us an "upgraded room", which had a balcony (and working TV, phone, lights, and included breakfast). This room was better, as we could open the balcony door and no longer needed to rely on the noisy air conditioner. Also, we discovered that the hotel has an excellent assortment of TV channels, which most hotels don't have.

On the plus side, there were a lot of interesting looking restaurants (mostly Asian or Indian) within walking distance, which I haven't always found to be the case when I've stayed in this area.

All in all, you could do worse, but this wouldn't be my first choice hotel in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank chbruce

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Had a wonderful overnight stay at Domain in Sunnyvale - Great weekend rate value. Clean, modern decor. The sleep number beds were very comfortable. Looking forward to staying at sister hotel, Hotel Avanti in a few months. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Located very centrally on El Camino Real, just off Lawrence, this hotel provides efficient and neat business accommodation for travelers to the south Bay Area. A full hot breakfast sets you up nicely for the day, and the bar is a cozy little place to hang around in the evenings. Lots of restaurants within a short driving distance, and fairly quick access to 101/280. All in all - great value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RollingJedi
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was prepared for the worst when the company insisted that 50 of stay here. And the price was low enough that my expectations were minimal. But happily, the Domain was efficient, sufficient and friendly. The room was basic but comfortable. There were plenty of outlets. The bed was comfortable. There were extra blankets and pillows. Things that seem obvious but are so often omitted from chic, boutique hotels.

The Domain is a renovated motel, and they have wisely chosen to keep the feel of a motel with modern amenities. The overall effect is rather kitschy in nature.

Breakfast was plentiful and fast. The bar stocked great California wines. And the front desk team was exceptionally pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have stayed at the Domain Sunnyvale many times and have found it to be a very conformable hotel. They have great breakfast (included in room rent), complimentary internet and great and spacious rooms. The heated pool (though small) is another great attraction for me. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose the ones on the 4rd floor with a balcony facing the outside
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The is a fabulous hotel! I stayed one night - a Friday. The decor is fantastic - fun yet not over the top. The staff was very nice. The room is amazing. There is a sleep number bed that you can adjust to your favorite firmness - my number is 40. That made all the difference in a good nights sleep in a strange place. The room as a lot of space and the decor is interesting, but still comfortable/relaxing. The closet is HUGE and there is a refridgerator in the room. To be green, the water pressure is reduced. For the ladies, that can mean flat hair. But, a minor point.
The breakfast was $12.95 for a small buffet. Since I had a $6 coupon I decided to try it. I don't recommend it. The items seemed to be sitting out the whole time (I went 9:30a and it closes at 10a). The hasbrowns were soggy and tasteless. The bacon had that hard crunch of sitting around. he breakfast does not do the hotel justice - stay at the hotel go out for breakfast!

Room Tip: As for one at the back, away from El Camino (it's a very busy street).
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
DomainHotel, Front Office Supervisor at The Domain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you for loving the hotel! We love our hotel too!
We try very hard to provide a different experience and atmosphere while guests are with us and it sounds like we exceeded your expectations. However, the only area we fell short was the breakfast and I apologize for that. I have taken your feedback and disseminated to the correct department head and we will work on providing a better experience for all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to write about us.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

This hotel looks very modern, is very clean, and looks like an outstanding value for the price.

That said, the walls (or at least the ceiling) are very very thin...I could hear people walking around, not stomping, just walking. I can imagine how bad it could be if I had noisy neighbors.

For a hotel of this top quality, in all respects easily 4-star, I cannot believe they do not have sound deadening between the floors. If you stay here, stay on the top floor...that should be better.

Also, they stuck me into a Sleep Number bed without saying anything. Either you love them or hate them so I would have changed rooms but I had already unpacked everything before I noticed. Annoying to say the least.

Room Tip: Top Floor, ask for non-Sleep Number bed
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
1.1 km away
3.3 km away
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!