“Susanville and Eagle Lake, California”
Review of Susanville

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Salt Lake City, Utah
7 helpful votes
“Susanville and Eagle Lake, California”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I was in Susanville, CA over the 4th of July.
It's a small town other then what I am used to, but the people are really nice and the area is clean.

On the 4th of July they had a really nice firework show that I took several photos of. For a small town, the Fireworks were awesome.

Also there is several close by attractions to see, such as Eagle Lake. It's stunning, we had so much fun walking around and seeing all the birds and watching the boats.

I have some photos that I will try to post of Eagle Lake and the Fireworks.

1 Thank julielynnbateson
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9 helpful votes
“Keep on driving”
Reviewed 24 July 2006

This town is not worth the time, some very mediocre Mexican restaurants and a bunch of fast food chains. No charm whatsoever, and worst of all the customer service in local stores is rude and unfriendly. The High Country Inn is a reasonably clean hotel and probably the nicest place to stay in town. This is simply a depressing prison town with some nice scenery on the outskirts, the town itself is dumpy and dirty. I have never seen such poor customer service as I have in this town, its like they do not want you there. The local casino has cheap food but it is greasy and not very good.

6 Thank Robert L
haines city florida
29 helpful votes
“Susanville/Eagle Lake”
Reviewed 3 February 2005

Having lived in Susanville for 30 years before I moved, I can tell you that this is a great jumping-off point to Eagle Lake. Seventeen miles away is a huge, fresh water lake with great fishing, water sports and never a crowd. Even on the 4th of July, you'll never see more than 10 or 12 boats on the entire lake. (If you could see the entire lake at once!) On the south end are the campgrounds, and on the north end the windsurfers(all three of them) wait for the afternoon winds.

If you like solitude on a beautiful lake and don't want to camp, stay in the High Country Inn, the Trailside Inn, the Super 8 Motel, or the River Inn in Susanville. They're all fine. The Frontier Inn will probably be a little cheaper but tends to cater to truckers and people traveling on business.
Since the main economy of Susanville depends on the two large prisons within the city limits, I'd steer clear of the cheapest hotels where the families visiting relatives tend to stay.

I'd schedule my stay after the middle of June because winter tends to drag on in the mountains. If you are a fisherman, Memorial Day weekend is the opening day for Eagle Lake Trout. On that one weekend, everything is different. The Lake is jammed with boats, the weather is terrible, and the roads often require chains to get out of the lake basin.

14 Thank aLocalEater

Been to Susanville? Share your experiences!