“Great food with Glacial Service”

Shorter's Rib Pit & Catering
Ranked #32 of 220 Restaurants in Tracy
Reviewed June 7, 2017

The ribs, the brisket, the tri-tips are all excellent. I would have given the place 5 stars except I think I aged noticeably while waiting for the food. There is only one waitress/food preparer/cashier/call taker so you will definitely wait, and wait, and wait, because the quality of food is very good and there are a lot of customers. Don't expect to eat on the cheap, but the portions are big, so you will have a snack for later. The prices are a little on the high side. Expect to pay about $17 for lunch including a soft drink, tip, and the perfunctory sales tax for which we get nothing in return. We are going back tonight, only because I like to punish myself.

If you are really hungry, and you have a reluctance to gnaw on your hand or that of a loved one, you might to try somewhere else. Come back at 10:30 in the morning, maybe it won't be so busy.

1  Thank Larry S

Reviewed January 25, 2017

The place is attached to a bowling alley but don't let that fool you. The brisket was the awesome! The sauce is great too. Looking forward to going back to try more.

Reviewed January 10, 2017

The food is excellent especially with the personal touch added by the owner. The place is noisy so it is best to take the food out.

Reviewed October 29, 2016

Five stars for food that tastes like it came from dad's backyard smoker, mom's fridge, and grandma's oven. I picked up take-out on a Friday night -- my first time at Shorter's since their move to East Street. I recently moved a few blocks away from their new location and kept smelling the smoker as I drove by. Drool. The scent from the smoker reminds me of our family dinners cooked over a wood fire pit every summer in the Nor Cal redwoods. I ordered the rib dinner with coleslaw and fries. Loved the coleslaw . . . tasted so fresh and homemade . . . plenty of crunch. The fries suffered a bit in regard to the crisp factor in the delay driving home but were still very good . . . tasted as though fried in fresh oil (which is harder to find than one might think). The ribs were very unlike the chain restaurants nearby. I could taste the love that went into the smoking and saucing. And fall-off-the-bone tender! But wait, there's more . . . I had the foresight to order a slice of sweet potato pie for later that night. Well, I dove right in after dinner and the pie was a dense full-potato pie (not puffed up with eggs) and the crust was just the perfect thickness and sweetness so as not to steal the show from the mouth-watering filling. Sure wish I had ordered two slices :-) I'll be back!

Reviewed August 23, 2016

Best BBQ in town! Dave's BBQ sauce is yummy! Great service and very family oriented. Love the coleslaw and don't go without trying Mama Shorter's Peach Cobbler!