The location is such that the "resort" ( which needs to be dropped from its sign until they overhaul it!), would be paid back in spades if they bit the bullet and spent the money and time to start over.
I personally would refer to it as a 2-star motel, but the location and view bumps it up to a three star, just barely.
1. Peaceful and serene location as you wake up to an immediate view of Donner Lake. No traffic noise.
2. Great location! Just a short and stunningly beautiful drive to Sugar Bowl ski resort, (turn left out of the resort to get to Sugar Bowl), or a short drive to any of the other Tahoe Northshore ski resorts. Close to the quaint town of Truckee and the historic Donner Pass museum and area.
3. Fairly comfortable beds.
1. SUPER outdated. The bathroom had the feel of a clean gas-station restroom.
2. "little things" like no nightstands next to the bed to set things on such as a book, or cup of coffee, or your phone etc.
3. Not enough available outlets to plug in a computer or phone. The outlets I did find were very loose (plug kept falling out) and I do believe that can lead to a fire hazard.
3. Incredibly thin walls! You know it's a bad sign when you find earplugs waiting for you in your room! We could hear literally everything from the rooms next to us and above us. It was equivalent to sleeping in a tent, as far as noise from other rooms.
4. Exterior and interior hallways are dismal. The hallways , while I think??....are trying to look "rustic", look like old dirty plaster that is years overdue for repair.
5. Dirty corners.
Overall, this is a place that one can stay if they just want a place to crash while they ski, but considering what you get for the price they charge- until they invest that money into making this the resort that it has the potential to be, I would say that it is overpriced.
( overhaul tips: Deep clean the place! Add fireplaces, new carpets, renovate bathrooms and create a more inviting atmosphere when people enter the "hotel". Add and fix outlets so guest feel safe. Add some charm. Do that and the place will never have vacancy! :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Donner Lake Village is a year-round condominium resort nestled in the pines on the west shore of Donner Lake, one of the Sierra Nevada's most charming and beautiful alpine lakes. Our friendly staff can help you plan your visit, too. Encounter serenity in a one or two-bedroom suite, studio or spacious room complete with microwaves, refrigerators and FREE high speed wireless internet. Easy access to year round activities. In summer enjoy our private beach and marina with boat rentals. In winter hit the slopes at eight nearby world class ski resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Donner Lake Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donner Lake Village Hotel Truckee
- Donner Lake Hotel
- Donner Lake Resort
- Donner Lake Village Resort