“Incredibly Convenient, Naturally Beautiful, Newly Decorated & Equipped--Loved my Stay!”

Donner Lake Village
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I chose Donner Lake Village (DLV) despite some of the reviews I read because my trip was last-minute. I was lucky to get a room here at a great price with the help of very accommodating staff who were willing to let me "sleep on it" and book the next day after ensuring flights, etc. I was traveling solo and arriving late at night without knowing the area. DLV' proximity to the highway and the staff's step-by-step guidance on what to do when arriving late made my arrival easy and comfortable. I never had a need not met by the front desk or housekeeping and the maintenance of the property and parking area (important in a season experiencing 175% increase in snow!) were impeccable. My unit appeared to recently renovated with the latest appliances and warm and comfy furnishings. Being within a 10-20 min. drive of several ski resorts that I wanted to experience was perhaps the winningest feature for me...after all, that''s why I came. I will stay here again and I'll book in advance to ensure they have a room for me. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did!

Room Tip: Book early. Ask for a room with a view of the mountains and lake.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Penelope G
beckymoore, Manager at Donner Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review Penelope G. And thank you for mentioning our Donner Lake Village staff who do work hard to accommodates our guests' needs.
We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

We arteries on a Friday and walked in our room. It smelled awful so I called and absolutely nothing was done. Finally we just opened up windows with temps outside at 30.

Then we had to extend due to extreme snow and roads opened an hour later but they refused to provide any discount. Money is everything and services is non existent

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bhavit D

I am very sorry that there was not a quick response to take care of the room smell. We do strive to take care of our guests' needs and I am sorry this did not occur for you during your stay.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We always have great stays at Donner Lake Village for our ski trips to Sugar Bowl. This week we stayed in a wonderful Lake View Studio room, making great use of the kitchen. During the rain and 7 feet of snow that shutdown the ski slopes, we enjoyed the fast free internet, TV channel selection and DVD player. The staff cleared mountains of snow from the parking lot and handled a 15 hour power outage with grace. They gave us the option of checking out early, no charge, due to the conditions, but our room was too cozy to leave and we still got in two days of skiing. Special appreciations to Dan, Bob, Liz, Nicole.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SugarBowler

Dear SugarBowler, I am happy to hear you had a great stay during the big storm! And Thank you for highlight the staff who worked hard during your stay.

Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

We spent a week here over Christmas break and had a great time. With the location so close to Sugar Bowl and Boreal we couldn't say no. Town is only a few miles down the road which provided us with the serenity we needed. My husband and I decided to get one of their deluxe/remodeled rooms, and was pleasantly surprised with the granite counter tops and SS appliances in kitchen. Liz at the front desk was very helpful with suggestions on where to eat and what to do around town. We did not splurge for a lake view room but next time we will. They have a common area fireplace that has beautiful views of the lake which was so nice to sit by and read my book. Overall we had a great stay and will be back soon!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret T
Reviewed 27 November 2016

The location is such that the "resort" ( which needs to be dropped from its sign until they overhaul it!), would be paid back in spades if they bit the bullet and spent the money and time to start over.

I personally would refer to it as a 2-star motel, but the location and view bumps it up to a three star, just barely.

PROS:

1. Peaceful and serene location as you wake up to an immediate view of Donner Lake. No traffic noise.

2. Great location! Just a short and stunningly beautiful drive to Sugar Bowl ski resort, (turn left out of the resort to get to Sugar Bowl), or a short drive to any of the other Tahoe Northshore ski resorts. Close to the quaint town of Truckee and the historic Donner Pass museum and area.

3. Fairly comfortable beds.

CONS:

1. SUPER outdated. The bathroom had the feel of a clean gas-station restroom.

2. "little things" like no nightstands next to the bed to set things on such as a book, or cup of coffee, or your phone etc.

3. Not enough available outlets to plug in a computer or phone. The outlets I did find were very loose (plug kept falling out) and I do believe that can lead to a fire hazard.

3. Incredibly thin walls! You know it's a bad sign when you find earplugs waiting for you in your room! We could hear literally everything from the rooms next to us and above us. It was equivalent to sleeping in a tent, as far as noise from other rooms.

4. Exterior and interior hallways are dismal. The hallways , while I think??....are trying to look "rustic", look like old dirty plaster that is years overdue for repair.

5. Dirty corners.

Overall, this is a place that one can stay if they just want a place to crash while they ski, but considering what you get for the price they charge- until they invest that money into making this the resort that it has the potential to be, I would say that it is overpriced.

( overhaul tips: Deep clean the place! Add fireplaces, new carpets, renovate bathrooms and create a more inviting atmosphere when people enter the "hotel". Add and fix outlets so guest feel safe. Add some charm. Do that and the place will never have vacancy! :-)

Room Tip: Make sure to get a Lake-View room.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SusanWPetaluma
Reviewed 6 October 2016

the lake its no so big, good for smimming and phising. its perfect in july, also the beach its very crowdy. you can rent small boat or you can do watersports. or just lying on the beach bad enjoy the mountain sun

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

There are pro's and cons to Donner Lake Village Resort. Pro's: right on the lake. Watersports equipment rental on site. Comfortable room. Small private beach. Close to Truckee. Con's: outdated rooms and fixtures. $114 per night for room over looking parking lot. Coffee maker leaked all over. Towel rack fell off of wall. Overall...I liked the place. Staff was nice, room was fine, loved the location

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly M
DTGPM, General Manager at Donner Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Dear Kelly, thank you for highlighting our beach, great location and easy access to watersport rentals. I was very sorry to hear about your towel rack falling and the coffee mishap. I hope that you notified the front desk so they could send someone to fix things while you were still with us. We hope you return to see us again soon.
Dan Tester

Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
10.8 km away
14.9 km away
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!