“Escaped The Valley Heat”

Donner Lake Village
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Truckee
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Living in the Reno area, we were looking for a convenient "one night getaway" up in the mountains, to escape the 95 degree + valley temperatures. I first came to know of the Village while kayaking at a boat launch site a short way down the road. A followup perusing of their web site led to a call to confirm our options for a one night stay. Allowing a one night stay during the peak summer season, by the way, was very much appreciated!

We chose an Upgraded Studio Deluxe Lake View unit, and were very pleasantly surprised and pleased when we arrived. It indeed had wonderful views, was an excellent room - completely upgraded with a nice bathroom and well stocked kitchen.
And the beach and dock area really made our stay first rate, enabling a very enjoyable paddle boarding experience. My wife and I also had a blast renting a very reasonably priced two place kayak next door.

The Village turned out to be a very convenient and enjoyable trip from the Reno area, and the staff was very friendly, efficient, and helpful, from the initial phone call to the answering of our numerous questions regarding our next visit by Nicole, upon our checking out. Thanks for the wonderful experience!!

Room Tip: Ground floor very convenient, with slider and screen door directly out to beach/dock area. And pay a...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twmorris
There are newer reviews for Donner Lake Village

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Upon arrival to the resort I was pleasantly greeted by Nicole at the front desk who was so excited to let me know they had upgraded my Studio reservation to a 1 bedroom room !! With a lake view!! This gesture warmed my heart so much as I had booked this weekend getaway to try and quiet my mind and find some peace at the end of a life changing week. The resort made me feel welcome from the moment I arrived.
My room (222) had a nice lake view and was clean at arrival. I found it to be peaceful, quiet and beautiful. My unit was absolutely clean, equipped with all necessities and very good size! The private beach may be small but it is enjoyable and wasn't crowded at all at this time of year. I will absolutely recommend Donner Lake Village Resort to all my business & personal contacts; and I will be back eventually and next time I will definitely have my kids come enjoy it as well!!! Amazing weekend and beautiful scenery!

P.S.- love the keyless entry for your unit & the main doors after 8:00 p.m.! Great touch!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
beckymoore, Manager at Donner Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Dear Lucretia H, thank you for taking the time to write a great review of Donner Lake Village. We hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We were not sure what to expect, this place is so heavily under marketed.
Chech in was a breeze with a super helpful and friendly staff member. Our room was a 1bed lake view room, which was amazing. Wonderful views , excellent room completely upgraded. Nice bathroom and well stocked kitchen.
It is less than 10min drive to Boreal with easy freeway access. Lots of food /restaurants around the area.
Wonderful stay would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Parul J
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I chose Donner Lake Village (DLV) despite some of the reviews I read because my trip was last-minute. I was lucky to get a room here at a great price with the help of very accommodating staff who were willing to let me "sleep on it" and book the next day after ensuring flights, etc. I was traveling solo and arriving late at night without knowing the area. DLV' proximity to the highway and the staff's step-by-step guidance on what to do when arriving late made my arrival easy and comfortable. I never had a need not met by the front desk or housekeeping and the maintenance of the property and parking area (important in a season experiencing 175% increase in snow!) were impeccable. My unit appeared to recently renovated with the latest appliances and warm and comfy furnishings. Being within a 10-20 min. drive of several ski resorts that I wanted to experience was perhaps the winningest feature for me...after all, that''s why I came. I will stay here again and I'll book in advance to ensure they have a room for me. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did!

Room Tip: Book early. Ask for a room with a view of the mountains and lake.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Penelope G

Thank you for your wonderful review Penelope G. And thank you for mentioning our Donner Lake Village staff who do work hard to accommodates our guests' needs.
We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

We arteries on a Friday and walked in our room. It smelled awful so I called and absolutely nothing was done. Finally we just opened up windows with temps outside at 30.

Then we had to extend due to extreme snow and roads opened an hour later but they refused to provide any discount. Money is everything and services is non existent

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bhavit D

I am very sorry that there was not a quick response to take care of the room smell. We do strive to take care of our guests' needs and I am sorry this did not occur for you during your stay.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We always have great stays at Donner Lake Village for our ski trips to Sugar Bowl. This week we stayed in a wonderful Lake View Studio room, making great use of the kitchen. During the rain and 7 feet of snow that shutdown the ski slopes, we enjoyed the fast free internet, TV channel selection and DVD player. The staff cleared mountains of snow from the parking lot and handled a 15 hour power outage with grace. They gave us the option of checking out early, no charge, due to the conditions, but our room was too cozy to leave and we still got in two days of skiing. Special appreciations to Dan, Bob, Liz, Nicole.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SugarBowler

Dear SugarBowler, I am happy to hear you had a great stay during the big storm! And Thank you for highlight the staff who worked hard during your stay.

Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

We spent a week here over Christmas break and had a great time. With the location so close to Sugar Bowl and Boreal we couldn't say no. Town is only a few miles down the road which provided us with the serenity we needed. My husband and I decided to get one of their deluxe/remodeled rooms, and was pleasantly surprised with the granite counter tops and SS appliances in kitchen. Liz at the front desk was very helpful with suggestions on where to eat and what to do around town. We did not splurge for a lake view room but next time we will. They have a common area fireplace that has beautiful views of the lake which was so nice to sit by and read my book. Overall we had a great stay and will be back soon!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truckee
15.1 km away
6.5 km away
Inn at Truckee
Inn at Truckee
#11 of 13 in Truckee

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!