“where are the artifacts”

Donner Memorial State Park and Emigrant Trail Museum
Ranked #1 of 55 things to do in Truckee
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum documents the fascinating and tragic history of the Donner Party's journey to the west coast.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

the are locked up in sacramento where you cant see them what a let down I was there in 1998 much better expereance I was told by a park ranger they had some artifacts but they were in a employee area I could not see them

3  Thank Ted C
"transcontinental railroad"
in 8 reviews
"lincoln highway"

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

My husband is a history guy so stopping here was a must. It’s really a great learning experience. The park is beautiful. In March of course there’s still plenty of snow. I can imagine the summer is gorgeous. Overall this park is worth it for the history & beauty.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

You can spend an hour here and enjoy it. If you have a little More time it will be worth it. The exhibits are top notch. The history of the railroad, the Indian culture, the Sierra and the building f the highway are all detailed. It’s kid friendly. The museum store is excellent for books on the area and other memorabilia. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The museum is free but they charge for parking. However, if you park on Donner Pass Rd in front, walk 100 meters, it’s free t.

2  Thank calsun99
Reviewed March 10, 2018

We were touring the area while staying ar Lake Tahoe. I grew up with California history in grade school in California thus coming here was very exciting for me. The park was well done and had much more than just info about the ill-fared Donner party. We enjoy historical visits and this trip,delivered. We did not explore the park on foot much as it was cold but I can see how it would be great in warmer weather.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

We specifically went to Dinner Memorial State Park to go to the Emigrant Trail Museum. Being fairly local we have studied California History and the local history. Seeing as my daughter had finished grade 4 - she knows all about the Donner Party and even Patty Reid's Doll. We thought this would be a more interactive and multi age friendly museum to wrap up the history lesson ( we waited a year for museum renovation). It was highly disappointing as it was small, heavy to reading signs and not much on the way of interactive displays or real information relating to the plight of the Donner Party.
I certainly would not recommend going out of your way to see this museum.