“Room reeked of Mold, broken bathroom vent fan and thermostat!”

Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
“Room reeked of Mold, broken bathroom vent fan and thermostat!”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

After a long drive from Los Angeles, and in need of a goodnight's rest, I got stuck with a room that just fell apart on me. I walked in the room that masked a faint scent of mold. I tried to slide open the windows that had a lock and only opened two inches wide. I took a shower and went out for dinner just to find out that the odor of mold got worse and the small opening from the window did not help airing out the room. I then realized that not only the thermostat to blow air out of the room was broken, but the bathrooms vent fan did not work either possibly causing the mold in the room! I spoke to the night clerk wanting to change to another room since I'm staying here for two days. He wanted to make sure that the room did smell like mold prior to allowing me to change to another room, so I told him to come upstairs. I moved next door just to find out that the non-smoking room I got smells like someone smoked in it. The bed was hard and squeaked every time I moved and the worse part was my room faced the major street and it felt like you were living in a third world country. The noise pollution from passing vehicles resonated in the bedroom even though you had the windows closed. It was bad. On the other hand, the lady in the kitchen during breakfast was nice as well as the cleaning lady. I agree with one's review of the place in need of updating and better ventilation system.

Room Tip: There's another hotel a few feet from this place. Stay in that one instead.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Bhupen12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
Dear Waltham,

Thank you for your comments and input. I will personally check the ventilation and thermostat in your guestroom as your experience is unacceptable. Please be assured that we will address these issues right away and confirm that other rooms also do not have similar problems.

We appreciate your compliment regarding our staff and will certainly pass along your kind words to our team. We invite you to return on your next visit to Union City and we assure you that your stay will be much better. Thank you again for your time and Happy Holidays.

Marie Cornell
Holiday Inn Express - Union City, CA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Indonesian first
Houston
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We were here on a business trip and we chose this hotel because of the location.

The rooms two of my coworker and I stayed in this hotel were outdated, all of our rooms had bad odor and the internet is incredibly slowed here. We were not able to log on to the internet to do our work.

The rooms were old, dark, and we were not able to get any sleep during our entire stays. This hotel definitely needs a lot of remodeling to bring it up-to-date.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Bhupen12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sincerely committed to excellent service and quality at our hotel. In fact, we recently completed a major renovation including new furniture, lighting, bedding walls, tubs and bathroom finishes.

We will continue to look for ways to improve. Based on your comments, we have contacted our Internet Provider about upgraded bandwidth and coverage. These upgrades should be completed within the next week.

We appreciate your time and consideration. We hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business soon. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Ann Marie Serador
Riverton, Utah
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed here for only one night October 29, 2011. Unfortunately,the circumstance that brought us here was a funeral, but the hotel met our needs. It is conveniently located right off I-880, and amdist a huge shopping complex loaded with stores and restaurants and even a movie theatre. If you stay here, you'll easily be able to find something to do at night!

Our room itself was a little worn, but was more than adequate for the night, and the price was right, too. The neighborhood and surrounding environs feel completely safe.

I must commend the hotel for allowing a SUPER-early check-in. We flew into Oakland on a morning flight, and stopped by the hotel before the funeral to see if we could drop off our bags. Not only did they let us do that: they had our room ready for us at 10:30am! Excellent job!

There is only one elevator, and it it is little slow, but overall, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel S
Bhupen12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Dear Marykdan,

Thank you for your feedback and input. Though we are sorry that you were attending a funeral, we are pleased that we were able to help accomodate you. Thank you for your kind words about our service, value and location. We truly work hard to provide the best quality for our guests and it is always nice to hear positive feedback.

We hope to see you again soon, under different circumstances. Happy Holidays from all of us at the Holiday Inn Express in Union City!

Marie Cornell
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. My room had a microwave and a fridge. What I would expect from a HIE. There are several dining and shopping locations, as well as a grocery store all within walking distance. The one issue I did have was the road noise and thin walls. Rooms facing Alvardo-Niles Road should be avoided. I was startled awake by sirens and a loud motorcycle in the wee hours. Internet was sloooooowwww. I rebooted my computer a couple of times and speed improved but it was only temporary. A real disappointment. Business center is a small desk in the lobby. Overall an acceptable stay but nothing more than average.

Room Tip: Stay away from roadside rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Our family spent 6 days there and had awonderful stay. the rooms and housecleaning were outstanding. the staff was 2nd to none and helped us in any way they could. the pool and hottub were clean and convenient. The breakfast was very good and had a few differences everyday. The rates were reasonable and was an all around hit with our family. They had wine and snacks from 5-7 every evening. The location to restaurants and attractions was perfect. I still am amazed at how friendly the staff was. If yu stay check out the fresh start restaurant. and the IFLY indoor skydiving. There are discounts online for it my son loved it.

Room Tip: Rooms are clean and well taken care of by the housekeeping.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank robs2346
Alaska
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The Good:
The hotel is clean and they have free wine and snacks sometime after 5:00pm.
They're next to everything.. there's ihop, fedex, Texas Roadhouse, TGI Friday's, Inn-in-Out a grocery store and a movie theatre. My goal is to make it back and use the indoor skydiving facility that is next door. The staff is friendly and helpful.

The Bad:
Its been recently renovated and its an old building... my ceiling started to leak at some point and they moved my rooms. I stayed here for at least a few times over the month for what seems like a couple weeks (all this traveling starts to blur together after awhile).

Good lord, they have some of the slowest internet I've used in awhile. Get it together.

The Funny:
I used a trolley to take some heavy pelican cases to my room and forgot about it. Unbeknownst to me, they started a hardcore investigation looking for it. The housekeepers swore that it wasn't in any rooms they were cleaning. (I always leave a do-not-disturb sign on the door). They made a decision to open all the do-not-disturb doors and peek in... and that's how they caught me. Anyways, anytime it went missing after that, I was the first person they tracked down to ask about it.

Too funny.

Room Tip: The normal king size rooms are actually better than the executive rooms.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Kenjini
Bhupen12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Hi Alaska,

Thanks for the feedback and humor. Sorry about the overzealous attempts to track down the "missing luggage cart" and we will definitely check on our internet speeds. Oddly, we just upgraded to Hi Speed Cable service (vs slower DSL), so hopefully it is just a setting issue.

Please come again soon and enjoy some new wines at our reception and shops at the Union Landing center. The Sky High indoor parachuting is a real thrill and definitely worth a visit.

Thanks again!

The Holiday Inn Express Team
Union City, California
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The worst hotel experience ever. We were harassed repeatedly by other guests in the hotel. While sitting in the hot tub we were flipped off, mooned, and called horrible names. I broughtthis to hotel staff attention several times. The next morning the problem contiued in the breakfast room. I again brought it to hotel staff attention and requested the police be called. They did not. They allowed for teenagers to roam all floors of the hotel till late hours of the night. They used the luggage racks as race cars in the hallways. I requested a new room would not accomidate. There was no management. I am still waiting for a call. The worst customer service. We were scared there was no security. I was left to deal with the situation. They would only call the chaperon down to the lobby have me talk to them. That made the chaperon mad and the situation worse. They hung out by our door and every time we went out the door they would block it so we couldn't pass and would continue with the name calling.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank glangley63
ashpujara, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear Ms. Langley,

We truly regret the terrible circumstances encountered between you and the school group staying at our hotel over the weekend. Please understand that our staff did sincerely attempt to resolve this dispute, and was eventually forced to call the police to intervene on behalf of all parties.

Our hotel prides itself on exceptional service and care for our guests and their comfort. Unfortunately, this situation escalated beyond all of our control and we are grateful that no one was injured. We have compensated you for the inconvenience and again extend our most sincere apology.

If you have any further questions or comments, please contact me or the police officer involved directly, as we must respect everyone’s (including the minor children’s) privacy under these circumstances. Thank you again for your cooperation.

Respectfully yours,

#1 of 4 in Union City
0.9 km away
Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City
0.2 km away
Extended Stay America - Union City - Dyer St.
6.9 km away
Aloft Silicon Valley
Aloft Silicon Valley
#3 of 9 in Newark
9.4 km away
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
10.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont

Been to Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose? Share your experiences!