“favorite place to stay”

Best Western Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Watsonville
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have stayed here many weeks at a time due to myj job taking me out of town and this would be one of my favorite motels to stay in.It is always clean.The beds are comfy and the staff is great!!
The manager is a wonderful lady too.

Room Tip: 122 right by the pool,work out room and hot tub
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tina L

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I start off saying, I stay in hotels about 200 night a year. This hotel is on my never again list!
I had my reservations & about checking into this hotel when we pulled up and saw that it only had exterior entrances. In the rooms the inside had been refurbed in some rooms but it was a loose attempt to cover up years of crud. The noise from the traffic was annoying from the nearby intersection. The hotel would not give me a cancelation refund at all and the staff wasn't accommodating but we attempted to stay however wound up leaving. I did not feel safe here. They told me it was not an unsafe neighborhood, however, I have very reliable source once i arrived in Watsonville that told me it is not a good neighborhood. Not a chance I wanted to take. I was told not to go out after dark. I'm sure the hotel will tell you that it is fine & perfectly safe there. It is a risk I wasn't willing to take. I will only stay at hotels with inside entrances for the sake of safety. You have to determine your own comfort level. I left & went to another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank MSPilot
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear MS Pilot, Please allow me the chance to apologize for the frustration you seem to have felt at the time of your arrival and your uneasiness of the outside corridors of our property. I am sorry that you were not aware of this at the time of your booking. We do try and make this point of fact available on our website as we have found there are companies that do require traveIing employees to stay in indoor corridor properties only, as well as individual guests like yourself who feel more comfortable being in an indoor corridor facility. I would appreciate an opportunity to be able to speak with you personally in regards to your reservation to address all the concerns mentioned and hope to come to a satisfying conclusion of your stay with us. Please contact me directly at the hotel. I look forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt GM

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We spent one night in Watsonville on our way somewhere else. the rooms were clean and in good repair. the staff was helpful and friendly. cookies upon arrival. the price was fair especially since we got a two room suite.
two complaints tho: the bottom sheet was not 'fitted' and kept popping up. we had to get up and fix it 3 times. We got the suite, which was roomy and smelled nice but the front room had significant road noise.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
RoseGardenInn, General Manager at Best Western Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Cymbidian, Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. By the description you gave of your room it sounds like you were in what we call the Super Suite with one and a half bathrooms. I appreciate your mentioning the traffic sounds in this room which gives us the opportunity to let others know of it's location on the property. This room is located at the front of the property with windows that face the street we are located on. We do have double pane/noise reduction windows installed in all of our rooms that face the street (also our kitchen suite as well as a standard queen and a double queen bed rooms) which reduce the majority of the noise. However, we appreciate that every person's tolerance level varies and while for most we have found this is not a bother, for those used to no or very little noise at night it can be a disturbance. We do have a second 2 room suite with two full bathrooms located at the back of the property as an option for anyone who needs the two rooms but prefers away from the front of the property, as well as standard rooms. As you also mentioned, all of our sheets are flat sheets, not fitted sheets. I apologize that you had any issues with this. As this is the first time I have had this issue brought to my attention I will be sure and address it with the housekeeping staff to be sure that the sheets are tucked in properly to keep this from happening in the future. We hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in town. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt GM

Reviewed 20 February 2012

the rooms are of average size. the bed is ok. bathroom very small.

the parking is for free but beware it's very crammed. the breakfast is a joke. they should better call this coffee + cookies. the "breakfast" lady didn't speak any english.

wouldn't stay there longer than a night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear das_ubersoldat, thank you for your points in your review. You are correct that the majority of our rooms are a standard size. However, we do have a few specialty room types that are larger for those who wish or require more space. The bathrooms have been designed to have the vanity outside the bathroom which most guests find more convenient as one person can be using the sink and mirror while the other is showering, but I can see how having only the shower/toilet behind the door can make the bathroom appear smaller. All of our mattresses were replaced with pillow-top mattresses about 18 months ago. This is another great point as some prefer a harder mattress. On sold out nights our parking lot is very full as we have one parking space per vehicle. We do give out parking passes to registered guests to be sure only those authorized are using the parking lot. I am sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast. I would like to correct though for others that are reading that we do have more than coffee and cookies. In the breakfast room from 7-10am we have waffle makers, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, cereal, toast, muffins, juice, tea, and fruit as well. The cookies are baked fresh each afternoon and served at the front desk during check-in. I am sorry that it did not seem that our breakfast attendant did not speak English. Although it is true she did not speak English as her first language, she does understand and speak English. Thank you again for your points and we hope you enjoyed your time here in the Monterey Bay area. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt GM

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I booked a King bed room for 2 nights through the hotel's website. Normally, I use an online booking service like Expedia or Travelocity but the rates were the same. From the Trip Adviser on line reviews, I expected a great room. Perhaps this is the case if you book a suite, but this room was a typical motel type room. It had an older t.v., not a flat screen, but I understand the hotel is gradually phasing in flat screens and eventually all rooms will have one. The reception was kind of fuzzy. There was a large refrigerator and a microwave. Coffee maker and coffee was provided, but since I'm a tea drinker I would have been out of luck except for the foresight of bringing my own tea. I believe you could go down to the breakfast area and find some tea if need be. A plus was the free parking and the free high speed internet. Our room was located behind the breakfast area which blocked any light coming in from the outside "hallway". Swimming pool and small hot tub. The pool may be heated as there were people using it, even in January. The vanity area is pretty small, but it had a nice hand painted Mexican type sink. Included breakfast was 2 types of juice, coffee or tea, 3 types of cereal, Greek yogurt, muffins, a selection of bread, apples, bananas, hard boiled eggs, and waffles. The second morning we were there, they were out of hard boiled eggs and raisin bread, so the breakfast area should be checked more frequently. I asked 2 employees in the office about local birding areas and the Elkhorn Slough, but they didn't know anything about wildlife birding opportunities other than there was a boat trip you could take on the slough. I felt they should have known more about tourist activities in the area. Cookies were available upon check in and check in was fast and staff were cordial and pleasant. The bed was average as far as comfort but I did notice if I got over on my husband's side of the large bed, I tended to roll right into him which is the sign of a mattress that should be replaced. Pillows were soft and comfortable. Individual thermostats in the room which was nice. Room was quiet. Location was central Watsonville near restaurants and the historic area so it was a nice location. It is a convenient and reasonably priced hotel to stay in if you want to explore the Elkhorn Slough, Monterey and Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool tend to be smaller and try to get a room that isn't behind the breakfast area...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minic00per

Dear minic00per, We appreciate the time you took to write your detailed review. You are absolutely correct that we have not changed over all of our older T.V.'s to flat screens yet, but we are in the process. This will be finished before the end of this year. All of our rooms have microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, hair dryers, and iron/ironing boards. Please know that although we do not put tea in the rooms as a standard, we do have it available in the breakfast room and are happy to bring it to your room when requested. If we know before check-in we can also have it placed in the room prior to arrival. As for the mattress, since we just put all new ones in about 18 months ago, I will be sure and check the rooms behind the breakfast area for any mattresses that appear to have a dip and address the situation accordingly. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area. Sincerely, Sharon Bobbitt General Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2012

the staff ,was real nice and verry help full .. i felt like i knew the people .. and had a great vacation ..

Room Tip: room 103 was great
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

After a long coast drive from southern California, I was expecting a generic motel stay. Wow, was I delighted by this property! We were given a room over the driveway, away from the rest of the rooms. What a beautiful room. The decor is Mexican, full of color and life, with dark furniture as contrast. Quiet room, and very spacious. The front desk staff was very courteous and helpful. I will definitely stay here if back in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the room over the driveway. Seems like it would be noisy, but not.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank iloveskauai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watsonville
1.8 km away
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
26.8 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Morgan Hill-San Jose South

Been to Best Western Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!