“Absolutely Spectacular. No stone left unturned. One visit, and I am a Lifer.”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, New York, United States
“Absolutely Spectacular. No stone left unturned. One visit, and I am a Lifer.”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We were graciously ushered into the Mondrian LA, by a team of 4 members of the staff, even though we only arrived with 4 small bags, and we arrived in a decidedly non-glamorous "shuttle bus" that we shared with multiple passengers, who were being dropped off at hostels, other places, homes, etc. Our crazy van made its last stop at the Mondrian, and the unassuming facade opened up to a GORGEOUS foyer, where finding reception was a breeze.

I was greeted by name.

How they did this, I do not understand. I am not sure how organized they are - but we checked in MUCH after the standard check-in time, and had never stayed before - facebook? linkedin?. I was already wildly impressed after about 2 minutes in the hotel, and the experience only got better after the initial greeting.

We were given a complimentary room upgrade to the nicest room in the hotel other than some crazy Penthouse Balcony Suite - the King 1 Bedroom with Kitchen + Office. I did not request this upgrade, and I was absolutely STUNNED when we arrived in the room, with its massive, perfectly white King Bed + ultra-plush mattress and HEAVY comforter in a brand-spanking-newly cleaned and pressed duvet cover, absolutely perfectly chosen furniture, sweeping views of LA, and, of course, the sexiest couch I have ever seen in a hotel room.

The hangers in the closet of the room were finger-spaced (for those of you who are not or do not know anything about retail, this means that someone took the time to ensure that all of the hangers in the closet area were evenly spaced, and all of the hangers were aligned so that they were perfectly horizontal), the iron was fresh and free of stains/water or burns, and the robes and ironing board look like they had just been unwrapped from their shipment. The chandelier and the small desk separating the kitchen from the Living Room was adorable.

The Bathroom was graciously proportioned, and had an extremely sexy see-through shower wall that faced right out to the bed and the rest of the apartment (there is a curtain you can draw from the bedroom if this is "not that kind of trip".

I was stunned at every single amenity of the unit.

The flip-around Television/Flat-Screen TV in the ornate, illuminated orange and mirrored frame is genius and tremendously chic.

The bath products were, of course, Malin + Goetz, and were perfect for vacation: rum mojito-scented body wash, peppermint hair products, Q-Tips in tiny sealed packets, and an abundance of perfectly white, soft towels.

AFTER LEAVING THE ROOM, it got even better - though leaving was hard, given how perfect everything was. We are talking the definition of "spotless perfection". Not a smudge on anything - not a fingerprint, not a hair - nothing. Basically, hospital clean.

The pool and both bars are absolutely stunning, with the feeling of floating above the entire city. The photos they have online don't even do the space justice. There are private pool chairs with servers, as well as pillows strewn about, and huge square couches to accommodate a few people, or just two for a small sun-filled cat nap after breakfast and the mimosas settle in. The bar and pool transform to a Moroccan-inspired paradise with candles, huge lanterns and pillows everywhere. On busy nights, it is guest list only, and the bouncer holding the line off had seen us at the pool before his shift started, so when we went up to shower and get dressed for dinner and drinks, when we got to him - he laughed when we tried to show him our room keys to get in and said, "I know you guys, come in." This place is spot-on. Every single facet.

To add (more) icing on the cake, there was always a smartly-dressed, tan and perfectly "Cali-chill" pool guy who had chairs ready for us every day of the stay - specifically saving the ones requested day one. The hostesses at the pool are wildly and unexpectedly personable, as they are absolutely stunning. We are talking "I just fell off of a Victoria's Secret Runway" pretty. We had 3 separate hostesses through the weekend. Vanessa was our go-to, and she was 100% perfect. The glasses NEVER went dry, when I looked like I was starting to burn, suntan lotion was offered. No upselling - no snobbery, no "I am being fake to get a big tip", just absolute and believably genuine desire to make sure our experience was flawless - and it was.

The food at the in-house restaurant is also somehow immaculate, and the woman who greeted us every morning for breakfast was ABSOLUTELY the nicest hostess I have EVER seen at any restaurant. She made the slight hangover from day-drinking and the necessity to wake up at 9am to experience the hotel and get a good seat OK. When you ask for a bloody Mary "spicy", it's spicy. If you ask for the scrambled eggs "soft", they are soft. The juice is real and fresh-squeezed, and the coffee is better than most huge coffee purveyors.

After breakfast, we lotioned up, and were surrounded by nothing but absolutely gracious help, 24/7. The guests at the pool were varied - there wasn't a specific demographic. I saw everything from "Real Housewives" material to party girls with belly rings and their Ed-Hardy clad boy toys.

I called Room Service to order some champagne at 3am one night (everything in LA closes so early! - We are from NYC where the party stops at 5/6am if it's a good one), and the champagne was in the room within 5 minutes, complete with a bowl of strawberries, two freezing cold glasses, and full pour service.

We were in the hotel for a total of four days, and we even stayed an extra day just to hang out at the pool and say our goodbyes until the next time.

I have never been treated better, by any hotel group, any restaurant, any hostess, or any pool staff.

If I could give the Mondrian another star, I would.

Though you would assume a pretentious and obnoxious stay given the likes of the Lohan and Spears clans that are regulars at the hotel, you get absolutely none of it. I genuinely felt like any and every need we had was met, above and beyond any reasonable measure. I was treated as if I were an A-List celebrity from the first moment until the last.

It is now almost time to go back for my birthday in July, and I absolutely can not WAIT to step foot through those doors again, into the perfectly air-conditioned and scented lobby of the ONLY place outside of NYC that I could ever be so stunned by. We even went out one night to Chateau Marmont and a few of the other nearby "hot spots", and were out for about 2 whole hours until we went running back.

We bought groceries in excitement of the kitchen on the first day - only to throw them away at the end of the stay. Nothing we could have gathered at the nearby Trader Joe's other than a few choice bottles of wine could touch what the Mondrian had in store for us. There is literally no reason to leave the hotel.

It's almost like when you leave, you instantly wish you hadn't stepped out of the doors. They have truly created an absolutely spectacular oasis in the middle of what can be a rough-and-tumble spot on the top of a hill compared to the Mondrian. The convenience store across the street reminded me of a 7-11 in the middle of West Virginia in comparison...but not to worry, they will go to any shop for you, and pick things up for you - while you are at the pool - and deliver them while you're sipping an ice-cold glass of champagne with Vanessa making sure your towels are dry and that you are in the seat that's getting you the exact sun you want.

SIX STARS. I will visit this hotel and endure the extra 3 hours on the plane for life to go to this immaculate oasis. Hoping visit #2 is another win!

Room Tip: Tip: Splurge and get the King 1 Bedroom. It's worth it and pays for itself hand-over-fist. I won...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JamesEverettLewis
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Wow, a Lifer… I love it! Thank you for this amazing in depth review of your stay with us. I am so touched that you received such a high level of service with every department in the hotel. This is the exact experience we aspire to deliver. I am very touched by your review and I know we will be seeing you soon. Sincerely, Chloe Linder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We came from Australia for our wedding anniversary and our Mondrian experience was superb. Stunning views from the rooms and poolside, but even more impressive is the service. We were so impressed with the staff at all levels. We travel frequently and stay at designer digs but the Mondrian has been our best experience to date. Well done guys!

Room Tip: Ask for a city facing room on high floor for sweeping and spectacular views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the service in the hotel. I am glad you had a memorable anniversary get away! We hope to see you in the near future. Best Wishes, Chloe Linder
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Great service - lovely staff who care and very professional yet a fun and funky vibe. Best location and terrific views of LA. Most unusual decor and truly LA feel. Definitely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Staff so patient and helpful. Pool fun. Food great. Rooms gorgeous. What else could you want?

Room Tip: Top floor great views. All rooms quiet as now have sealed windows.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this! I am glad you were able to enjoy the creativity, décor, and service Mondrian has to offer. We really enjoyed having you with us and hope you will visit us again. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

We splashed out a bit for this hotel for our 1 night in LA. It is one of those cool hotels where you could feel a bit intimidated however the staff are so friendly and welcoming that it doesn't even cross your mind.

I love the bright colours and minimimalstic decor and our room had the most amazing views of LA from the floor to ceiling windows.

We were disappointed that the wi-fi signal would not reach our room and we had to walk out into the hall to access. There didn't seem to be any solution to this although the staff did apologise. We were also not informed until we checked in that the sky bar was under renovation, one of the reasons we picked this hotel but were informed if we wanted to use a pool, we had access to the hotel across the street. ( we didn't go).

It is a great location for LA although pricey (parking is $33 for a night) but worth a visit if budget isnt a concern and you want somewhere unique.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your nice comments regarding our service. All hotel guests are able to access Wi-Fi in the comfort of their rooms. Did you call the front desk to advise of this problem? We have a 24-hour Wi-Fi support team that is on hand to assist with any connectivity issues. I would like to extend apologies that the pool was closed during your stay. Skybar and the pool are now open, so we hope you come back soon to visit. Regards, Chloe Linder
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Nothing is too much trouble for the really friendly staff at the Mondrian.
Sky Bar is great, the rooms are super comfortable and spacious. Breakfast on the deck with a view over LA.
You can't be in a bad mood here the staff are so great you have to smile!
I stay in hotels a lot and haven't enjoyed one as much as this for a long time.
Brilliant wifi too!

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent visit with us! It sounds like you had an amazing time. Please come back soon to visit! Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I arrived really early (like 10am) after a long flight, hoping to leave my bags until checkin time. They not only checked to see if there was a room ready, but comped me an upgrade to an amazing suite with views over the sunset strip. The room was beautifully designed, very clean and spacious. Room service was delicious and quick. Even the Malin + Goetz products were delicious, some of the best toiletries I've found in a hotel.

One thing that caught my attention was how well designed the lighting was in my suite. A chandelier, various lamps, the TV lights up, hidden behind the mirrors and under the counter in the bathroom, all gave the room an amazing ambience that you could control and adjust. I think it's these details that make a hotel, the little things you don't have at home that make it special.

Concierge was helpful and friendly, as were the doormen. The hop-on, hop-off tour bus stops across the road, and there are heaps of great bars, restaurants and nightlife around, so its a great location.

Unfortunately the pool deck was closed for renovations, and the skybar was moved to the lobby. The staff assured me I could go over to the Andaz across the road and use their rooftop pool, which I did and there were no questions, so I was glad they had arranged it properly... The view up there is truly amazing!

I'd definitely recommend the mondrian to anyone... although, the Andaz looks great too! Tough choice...

Room Tip: The Deluxe studio is pretty amazing, really spacious and comfortable!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit with us. I am glad you enjoyed the cool design and amenities in the hotel. It is great we were able to provide you with a nice upgrade to enhance your stay. Thank you for your understanding regarding our beautification project. The pool and Skybar are now open. We hope you will get a chance to come back and experience these areas. Chloe Linder
London
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I generally prefer to book hotels direct – however I got an Expedia deal on the Mondrian which couldn’t be passed up! Despite this the hotel still kindly upgraded us when I called to advise it was my boyfriends birthday. Staff are super friendly and super helpful, particular thanks to Chloe for the upgrade and Mahmood for locating my handbag! The hotel is cool, sleek and contemporary; a good place to star spot! Fantastic location with plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance. The House of Blues next door is great fun and does a potent cocktail. Our room was pristine, spacious and super comfortable (a little dark maybe but this is in keeping with the feel of the hotel where you won’t be judged for wearing sunglasses 24 hours a day....) Unfortunately the infamous Sky bar was being renovated at the time we stayed – had this not been the case, or if we had been advised prior to arrival I may have given the Mondrian the full 5 stars. Still, a lovely hotel and a great place to stay in LA.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy you enjoyed your room upgrade and décor in the hotel. I also appreciate your nice comments regarding our service. We hope you come back and see us soon. Regards, Chloe Linder