“Still a good hotel, but could use a refresh.”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 October 2017

The last time I was at this hotel was 2001, but I recently stayed for a long weekend in 10/2017. We enjoyed the pool and bar areas, they are still visually pleasing and the “beautiful people” still seem to flock here. The hotel rooms and common areas are showing their age however. Our room had signs of neglected maintenance in items like the shower grout, and other little things. The hallway carpet, paint, and lighting were looking very tired on our floor. I would not recommend a room along the Sunset Blvd side, as it is noisy at night and the windows don’t keep out all of the traffic noise. It felt like a fire engine drove by every five minutes at this location. The room itself was small, and the bathroom was right next to one of the beds, meaning if you used the toilet you were all of two feet and a sliding privacy door away from one of the room’s bedrooms. Not a great layout. We did eat poolside,and the food was great. We especially enjoyed the bartender at the outdoor restaurant, which is separated from the pool area.

Room Tip: Avoid Sunset Blvd rooms, due to road and traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Hello KentTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so happy you enjoyed our pool and bar areas! Should your travels bring you back to West Hollywood please feel free to reach out to me directly. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Luis

Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed 10 October 2017

For my prior two most recent business trips to Los Angeles I stayed at Ritz Marina Del Rey due to proximity to my meetings. For this trip I returned to one of my favorite hotels, Mondrian. True, it is not what most people would say is a 'traditional' business hotel, but it is exactly what I like when in LA. I absolutely love breakfast outdoors and try to get as much work done as possible near the pool. Nikki, Nubia, Alex and Jennifer were all very pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Hello Joel H,

Thank you for the great review! We are so happy to hear that we are one of your favorite hotels! Come back and visit again! Please feel free to reach out to me directly should your travel brings you back to West Hollywood. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Must admit that Mondrian LA is completely something else than the rest of Morgans Group hotels...
Unless you are a trashy, constantly drunk type of a guest there is nothing for you because if sober you wouldn't like the 'customer service' they provide.
Hotel staff has pretty nasty attitude.
Highlights:
*Doorman will totally ignore you, with all your bags in hand, wont call the elevator since it room key to scan.Not even greet you-it happened every day of our stay.
*Valet told us to get the f*** out of the car while being dropped off.
*Know that hotel guests are the last ones to have priority at the pool area. All of the chairs are always reserved for bottle service.It is obvious that their target group is pool party crowed, which doesn't stay in hotel.
I guess hospitality over there is hell of a work. Such a shame...

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Hello DanicaMia,

We appreciate your feedback as it is very important to us in order to improve. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should your travels bring you back to the West Hollywood area. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Rooms are in slight need of an upgrade but there is no better place to stay in LA if you want a good atmosphere around the pool. Great location but more expensive than next door but if you stay at both you will realise why.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank Carl H
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Hello Carl H,

Thank you for the great review. Should your travels bring you back to West Hollywood please feel free to reach out to me directly. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

The Mondrian is located very centrally in West Hollywood although I was still surprised at the lack of restaurants and bars close to the hotel. That's fine for me as I wasn't wanting to be out every night but maybe not so for others.
My first night was a Friday night and the sky bar was in full swing. All I wanted was to sleep having travelled over 36 hours to get there, but I knew it was a Friday and I was not one to make a complaint on my first night, and also knowing I was tired and easily annoyed at that moment! However, the music was loud, I mean really really loud, to the point where I didn't even bother trying to sleep until it went off at 2am. I had a room with a balcony on the 8th floor overlooking the pool with two lots of double glazed windows, but the noise still came through. Clearly they are aware of the noise... thankfully the Friday night was the only really crazy night and the others were no issue otherwise I would have requested a room change. I was in room 812.
Mr room itself was good size for a solo traveller or a couple. Good bar fridge and snacks, good toiletries but no additions such as toothbrush, comb, makeup removal wipes etc so pack your own.
The king size bed was sooooooooo comfortable.... I stayed in it one whole day during my trip and didn't regret it at all! I love a good bed and it's one of the things I am fairly picky about when travelling. This bed and the sheets were the best I've had anywhere by far.
The room service menu, and menu in the restaurant, is well below average. Really only serving a few salads and otherwise sandwiches or burgers. I ordered take away two nights because I couldn't find anything I liked. The hotel had no issue with this to their credit.
The decor is getting a little old. The carpet desperately needs replacing and a fresh coat of paint would do the hotel the world of good. The pool is nice and has a good amount of shade and sun.
Overall it was a nice place to stay but I didn't think it was amazing for the price and, apart from the bed, I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a poolside balcony
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hello Traveljm1982,

We appreciate your feedback as it is very important to us in order to improve our overall service. Thank you for the candid comments. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should your travels bring you back to the West Hollywood area. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I stayed at the Mondrian after it was renovated years ago. 1998? It has held up well and they must have done a renovation in between because this is the type of hotel that gets trashed. All white furniture, party crowd, etc.

I would never stay here by choice. It was okay for business. The pool scene is tired. The food is meh. I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Stay away if you want anything but a super young party scene.

Room Tip: City view, high floor is you want quiet
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Hello SJDS15,

We appreciate your feedback as it is very important to us in order to improve. Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would like the opportunity to hear more regarding your experience with us. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

While we enjoyed our stay, we don't think we will return to the Mondrian. My husband and I are in our mid to late 30's and feel that this hotel is targeted more towards the high flying 20 somethings that check in and check out, and are covered head to toe is designer clothes and accessories.
The Ivory restaurant was fabulous, food and service was wonderful, I cant speak highly enough of the staff, all of the food quality on each dining occasion was lovely. The interior design of the restaurant is quite luxe and the views of LA are incredible.
However I did feel the crowd was quite pretentious at their bar.
Sky bar was quite similar - it looks amazing, the floral external walls are just gorgeous, the pool gets very busy, whether it be guests or friends of guests, its hard to get a spot by the pool which was disappointing, and my husband and I felt like as we weren't there to "party" and buy magnums of alcohol we received less care and attention.
The vibe of the whole hotel is very "cool" rather than luxurious. it is very clean, comfortable and staff are nice and well presented.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Morgans Hotel Group
1  Thank tdegraaff

Hello tdegraaff,

Thank you for the great review. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. Should your travels bring you back to West Hollywood please feel free to reach out to me directly. I can be reached at MondrianLA@sbe.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Grafton on Sunset
Grafton on Sunset
#11 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!