“Full of Nostalgia”
Review of Chateau Marmont

Chateau Marmont
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Knowing that the room we stayed was once been occupied with one of the film stars , was the greatest part of our stay. We booked a garden cottage 3 adults and 1 child . The room had 1 bedroom - a living area and an open kitchen . Quite spacey but my mother had to sleep in a very uncomfortable sofa . So I do not recommend the cottage if you are more than 2 adults. The Hotel staff was OK but they warned us not to take photos ( my kids photo !) , I think they should have warned us before if there is any strict rule .... Overall, we enjoyed the stay , enjoyed the atmosphere and dreamed Bogart planting the garden ....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Eser

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We booked a 1bedroom suite and arrived in the morning after a 13 hour flight. I was prepared to sleep on a swimming pool chair until check in due to the jet lag but the staff were brilliant and checked us in early!
We checked into the apartment (that's exactly what it is!) and had a nap. We noticed they were renovating the room next door and our nap was disturbed by the hammering etc (it was around 10am in the morning so most people should be awake by now).
We spoke to front desk in the afternoon about the noise and they offered to move us to a 2 bedroom apt on the same floor but we decided it was only marginally further away from the room being renovated so we stayed.
The next day we got a call from the manager offering us a complimentary upgrade to their garden bungalow (No. 2) and also invited us to attend the Premier After Party of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that was being held on premises.
Wow! So we got to spend 2 amazing nights in a 2 bedroom 2 storey garden bungalow that is normally by invite only and attend an awesome gathering with the likes of Colin Firth, Gary Oldman and numerous other artists and movie studio execs!
So, we were exceptionally well looked after and all staff were just brilliant (professional and arms length, yes, they are after all not to be too familiar with their high profile guests).
Had an amazing stay and blown away by their generosity in looking after us.
Definitely recommend. This is a must to do, at least once... We are thinking of going back!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank 826,643
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at the chateau last June and I am only getting around to writing this now but the experience was so magical that I remember it vividly. I stayed there with by boyfriend as a treat while we were touring California for one night and despite my boyfriends apprehension and initial reluctance, we both agreed it was so much more than you might expect! We both thought it would be really pretentious and snooty but it wasn't! I get really annoyed when I see people complain in reviews that they felt like 2nd class citizens there or that they felt like the staff were holding tables for celebrities! Of course the staff are holding tables for celebrities! It is one of the few hotels in la that celebrities and the likes have total privacy! I am certainly far from wealthy or a celeb but I felt like a princess in this hotel. There is a calm and magical atmosphere and the gardens and pool area are the perfect hideaway from the hustle and bustle of busy la despite being in the centre of the city! The Bar Marmont is a luxurious and almost seedy looking place but in a good way, all darkness and low lighting. We ate there because admittingly we were a little nervous to eat at the more formal hotel restaurant! Cringe, I know! We went there for a drink after and got a seat on the terrace and drank under the stars in what can only be described as a morrocan or Tuscan style paradise. I spotted a few celebs which of course is always a nice treat but it is so relaxing and such an amazing place to people watch with such a mix of people around. The rooms are beautiful- simple and elegant and really homely,the exact opposite to what you may expect but such a nice surprise! I really enjoyed this stay and I would highly recommend splurging if you are in Los Angeles!

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank NC63
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The Chateau Marmont lives up to everything you've ever heard. We have stayed here twice and wouldn't stay anywhere else in LA. We stayed in a Junior Suite and the room was incredible. As the hotel was originally built as apartments, the room is just that, a small apartment with separate kitchen and dining room. Both times we have been at the front of the hotel with amazing views up and down Sunset. The grounds are beautiful and the pool is the perfect place for an afternoon cocktail. You completely forget you are on one of the busiest strips in Hollywood.
The restaurant is perfection, make sure to request a table in the patio and have a drink in the lounge before hand.
Bar Marmont next door to the hotel is also a highlight, however we much perferred the lounge at the restaurant.
A nice little touch is the hotels own scented candle, created by Aquiesse. They have these burning all around the hotel night and day. They are in the room to purchase and I have brought one home each time. It's nice to light up the candle at home and be reminded the amazing time we spent there.
If you are considering staying here, I would strongly recommend it! A little piece of Hollywood history.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maya C
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Reading the (very few) negative reviews on here makes me wonder whether to laugh or cry. Why would you stay at a hotel without apparently doing ANY research whatsoever and then go on to Tripadvisor and complain about things that would have been obvious with the most cursory homework. We (a family of 4) stayed for 3 nights in late December 2011 and had a wonderful time. Sure, the building is old and has (charmingly in my view, perhaps eccentrically in others) preserved many of its original features - including bathroom and kitchen fixtures and fittings, all of which work fine, but come straight from the 40's (or earlier). Errrr, excuse me, but that's why it is the Chateau Marmont! That's why it's one of the few really unique hotels that exist in the world. It's definitely not wall-to-wall bland and beige, fake wenge veneer and marble. If you want the latter, there are thousands of hotels (hundreds in the LA area) which will satisfy your needs. What matters is that: The rooms and beds are very comfortable; Despite the patina of age, everything works fine; The restaurant, particularly the garden, and (neighbouring bar) are great.; By the way, if this is important to you, you may perhaps perceive a celebrity across the room. And, having stayed twice, and being obviously not in any way a celebrity or otherwise deserving of special treatment, I have found all the staff to be very considerate and helpful (and on reading a couple of negative reviews below I wonder how much of a negative experience might be, if not actually deserved, then at least brought upon oneself). But most of all, in a world which rushes to trash everything considered to represent 'last years model', Andre Balazs has done a favour to all of us to preserve an atmosphere and a cadre of sophistication from the golden age of Hollywood. Thanks Andre!

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank David M
Reviewed 21 November 2011

If you are ever in the los angeles, ca area and want to go somewhere very exclusive, then I would check out the chateau. The restarant downstairs has amazing food and sometimes you can even spot a celeb or two enjoying themselves as well. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank prttygrrl1983
Reviewed 18 November 2011

If you are looking for a luxury 5 star hotel in this area of Hollywood then there are probably far superior than the Marmont. I have always wanted to stay here because of the hotels history but I was initially underwelmed when we were shown to our Junior Suite room. The room was at the back of the hotel and was very dated. It is filled with what seem to be original fixtures and fittings which we actually grew to like, it just wasn't what we had imagined. It had a small kitchen area which had a very well stocked selection of drinks, the bathroom was tiny and again, fitted with original sink/shower but fine all the same. The main area of the hotel is really nice and we had an evening meal in the garden restaurant which was excellent as was the service. If I had one main negative thing to say about the hotel then it would be the staff. The staff in the restaurant and the Bar Marmont next door were really attentive and friendly, however I didn't find the other staff we encountered as welcoming. It seemed almost like a chore when we asked for anything. I would have given the hotel 3 out of 5 for this reason, but I did enjoy the stay mainly because of the hotel's history. We also went into Bar Marmont which is in a separate building just down the street. This again wasn't what I had imagined but we had a great night there. It was a very relaxed atmosphere (Sunday night) and there didn't seem to be any particular dress code. I'd recommend the hotel to people who may be interested in its history, but if you're just looking for a luxury 5 star hotel then I'd suggest elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
#12 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!