“Neighborhood Gem!!!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Argyle
Reviewed April 20, 2015

My neighbors have been raving about Papillose for a while so I decided to try it. Why did I wait so long?!?! The restaurant is tucked away in the corner of a little strip mall. It has an open kitchen format which I love. It feels like you have been transported to France with tables close to each other and the opportunity to meet people next to you if you want. The staff are great - they are very attentive and take your experience seriously. They explain the food in great detail - as it is a prix fixe menu (with the option to do a la carte should you want). They have a small but very solid wine list and my wine from the South of France was really really good. Everything I ate was amazing. The chilled asparagus soup was one of the best soups I have had in years. The chef excels at soups and sauces. My main course was steak and it was cooked perfectly. I got the extra side of mint covered snap peas (YUM!). The desert was heavenly. Butterscotch pot de creme. I was offered dessert wine or an espresso which I appreciated and enjoyed. This is a mid-priced place so don't come if you want a cheap French meal. The price was well worth the quality and the overall experience. I will be back again SOON. Great place, great ambiance, great staff, and GREAT food.

Reviewed April 14, 2015

What a cool place! Loved the intimate atmosphere they created in spite of it being in a little strip mall. Completely unexpected gem. Definitely should reserve a table since it seems to fill up very quickly and you don't want to get there and not be able to sit down. The reasonable $35 prix fixe menu of 3 courses (with a side dish, too) is the way to go, and changes all the time. You can also order ala carte. I'm sure you can't go wrong no matter when you go. Love the menus printed on notebook paper.
My dinner started with foie gras with a strawberry gel, but there was a choice of carrot ginger soup, Octopus with confit potato, or market greens. My main course was the duck a l'orange with grapefruit and blood orange...with quinoa...there was also a side of asparagus I ordered. The desserts were a selection of cheeses, chocolate hazelnut crisp, or tres leches cake infused with lavendar. Kudos to the passionate chef!
The wines by the glass are obviously well thought out and all quite reasonable.
The charm of this place is that you'll never know who you might be sitting next to...It's just the coolest place I've been to in a long time and hits all the right notes of great food at a great price in a great place.

Reviewed April 11, 2015

we were visiting the 'kids' for my 60th and wanted a nice but not stuffy restaurant. This was the place. In a shopping mall but with a1 quality food at a fair price and attentive service. Prix fixe with enough choices. We started with a seasonal cold asparagus soup to die for. Oh the great french bread came with home made butter. Yum. Next was lamb from our hunting grounds in northern California. It had to be great and was. Then the dessert. We had excellent chocolate mouse, others the strawberry Napoleon. The quality of these were on par with the rest. All for $36. Many restaurants charge this much for the entree.. Place was busy and clearly a success. We would eat there again

Reviewed March 1, 2015

There are restaurants where you order food you already like, and then there are these restaurants - you will like anything they serve. Small, hipstery room (hard to underdress), small menu. Get a reservation. I think they change the choices frequently as our menus were printed on a sheet of paper. They offer a very reasonably priced prix fixe or a la carte.

Reviewed February 21, 2015

If you can brave a bit of traffic, this little French Bistro in a mini-mall just off the Hollywood Freeway is well worth the trip. A small place with an open kitchen overseen by a friendly chef who loves to cook and likes to chat about food, it's the kind of spot you'll return to again and again. A changing prix fixe menu of limited choices is offered at an incredibly reasonable price -- $35 for a starter, main and dessert. Though you can order a la carte if you prefer, it's worth trying each course -- it's all fresh and delicious, down to the authentic crusty baguettes, and artistically presented (not precious, just attractive.) They offer several interesting wines by the glass as well as full bottles, so you can sit and linger or eat and run (it's not far from many of Hollywood's wonderful theaters.) Appropriate for a date or a group -- you'll wish you could just walk to it so you could eat there more often. Well worth a trip.