“Beautiful Art Deco-ish Hotel, But Learn From My Experience...”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The 5 star reviews have it right - this is an architecturally interesting hotel in a fabulous location. The rooms are nicely appointed, most with floor to ceiling windows of some sort. The view from my first room was fabulous (with a serious hitch most people will want to avoid - get to that in a moment). The rooms can be small, with doors hitting doors (my closet door in the first room couldn't open all the way). That sort of thing doesn't bother me, but it gives you a sense of scale. Cozy is definitely a word I'd use to describe the room. The beds and pillows were awesomely comfortable! (Caveat: they are fabulously soft, in case you are used to a harder mattress). The pool terrace restaurant has a great view of downtown, and the best Club Sandwich ever (it's not a traditional Club). So that was the good.

What went wrong? Well, all the western facing rooms, and those facing Sunset Blvd as well, also happen to face a massive plasma billboard on Sunset that flashes movie/tv ads once it starts getting dark. Think 1,000 inch in-your-face plasma tv. Here I am trying to get to sleep and my walls are flashing neon. It was like taking a psychedelic trip with my eyes closed. Of course, you can close the curtains all the way, but you will still have a small strip (between them) flashing colors for hours into the night. If you are like me and prefer to sleep with the curtains open to wake up with the light, you are hosed. Also, the lower floors on the western side also suffer from all the chatter coming up from the terrace restaurant. The noise is quite noticeable with the windows closed. It was less of a bother to me than the flashing billboard, but if you are looking for a little quiet at bedtime, this is not the side of the hotel to be on. So that gets me to one of my pet peeves. [Sidebar: I grew up in the hotel industry - literally, and know what good mgmt is.] Management clearly knows what I've written about here. It was admitted to me when I called to switch rooms. So why put a guest in a lower floor unit (more noise) facing the billboard, when there are other rooms open? Simply put: that is bad mgmt (and bad training of mgmt, to allot blame where it belongs). The person I spoke with to change rooms was kind and sympathetic, but said there was nothing else available (OK: so stick me with a dodgy room and by the time I find out it's too late?). Only after I requested they find me another hotel (yes, it was bad enough to warrant that), did another room suddenly come available. Now, it was nothing(!) like the first room, but I got my sleep which is all I cared about at that point.

The icing on the cake: at 5:45 since I was up I called down to the front desk to cancel my 6 am wake-up call so that my neighbors wouldn't have to hear it (yes, I do try to be considerate of my neighbors when in a hotel room). Well, guess what rang while I was in the shower?

Bottom line: I would not stay here again (even more so given the price). Beautiful hotel with a cool room (1 of my 2) and great terrace restaurant, but a major flaw and an improperly trained front desk.

Room Tip: Avoid any western facing room in order to get sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank BlueWindez
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Sunset Tower Hotel. One word "FANTASTIC" Service was excellent. Very relaxing with superior service. We stayed in room 1405 which over looked the quaint pool. Food was fresh and drinks where incredible. It was so neat to stay in a hotel knowing that it hosts the Vanity Fair Parties for the Oscars!!!

It is with in walking distance to many restaurants and shops. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to West Hollywood!!!

The spa is very luxurious too.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CircleB
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed recently at Sunset Tower Hotel. Before stayed at Bel Air, The Beverly Hills, The Beverly Whilshire and other 5-star hotels in LA. But only Sunset Tower met my expectations!
This is a true chic, glamorous hotel. You feel like at home, like you are having an apartment on Sunset Strip. Location is Perfect, close to Hollywood, Beverly Hills and all attractions.
Service. Service is perfect in all the ways! Front desk staff is very helpful, friendly and warm.
The Terrace Bar offers to my opinion the best cocktails in LA, very professional.
The restaurant is Number One thing I liked. Live music, waiters in white jackets, food is classic and perfectly cooked and served. The ambience is like you are in 1930's Hollywood, the Hollywood we all want to meet when going to LA.
You will not find there any of that modern trendy each-one-like-another pop place. It has THE style.
Rooms are very chic and those floor to ceiling windows with views to LA are just breathtaking.
Perfect location both for romantic stays and for (in my case) hanging out with friends!
So, if you want to travel to LA and see all the attractions having home-like treatmet in a classic glamour atmosphere, SUNSET TOWER IS THE ONLY CHOICE !!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the perfect choice. It has wide terraces on 12th floor overlloking Beverly Hills, D...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alexey0287
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Sunset Tower for my wife's 50th Birthday in the end of August. It was our second stay, and after being upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite our first time at the hotel we decided to book the same type of suite because we loved it so much. The room was beautiful, the building is beautiful, and the whole experience was as special as we were hoping it would be. Wonderful views, comfortable bed and furniture, minimal noise from the neighboring rooms; the room was homey and special at the same time. The staff was friendly, and we especially enjoyed having breakfast and afternoon drinks by the pool.

I would give it 4.5 instead of 5 stars if I could, however, as I had two nit picky issues: The staff tolerates smoking in the Terrace, even providing ashtrays when requested. I think this is a Hollywood thing, and I didn’t feel like complaining to the smokers or staff.

The other issue was the Nespresso maker in the room. The machine was kind of cool, but the coffee you have to use for it was pretty awful and ineffective. I asked for a regular coffee maker or teapot and was told that this wouldn’t be possible, but I could order coffee from room service. I know I’m not the only one who brings coffee with me when I travel (I'm picky and room service coffee doesn't cut it either).

Nevertheless, I felt that the overall experience definitely deserves more than 4 stars. Love this hotel!

1  Thank Zooey19912003
Reviewed 7 September 2012

During a short trip to LA I had the chance to stay at the Sunset Tower. What a lucky decision that turned out to be. It is a charming and elegant spot with gracious, accessible and attentive staff (who by the way are neither snooty nor overbearing). Wonderful location too, just near the shops and restaurants of West Hollywood. My room, while on the small side, was immaculate and extremely comfortable, with all the modern tech conveniences one would expect. The bathroom and amenities were outstanding, and the breakfast (by the pool) was not only delicious but highly entertaining, due to many tables being occupied by Hollywood types talking "deals". I will definitely consider staying here again my next trip and came to feel it was "my place" in L.A.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AlanH220
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Sunset Tower is the easiest, most elegant stay in LA. Staff is lovely, discreet, and ready, pool and views are fun, and interiors are by renowned decorator Paul Fortune. Decor is low key and luxurious. Junior rooms are small, but I'd rather have a small expertly done spot than a larger space that is less comfortable and poorly done. The restaurant's intimate feel is special. We'll be back.

1  Thank Clayton A
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Having stayed at many of the 4 and 5 star hotels,we were very charmed by the Sunset Tower. The breakfast buffet was overflowing with fresh fruit,homemade yogurt,and pastries.The pool staff was attentive . There was a mix of guests including many repeat clients,foreign travellors,young and middle aged.The deco facade and The Tower Bar bring to mind a passed era.All employees were pleasant and so helpful.We will stay there again.

Room Tip: The corners overlooking the pool with the view of LA are perfect.
1  Thank Bonnie5900
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!