“Nice hotel, but staff is not up to Four Seasons Standard”

Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village
Dallas
“Nice hotel, but staff is not up to Four Seasons Standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I have been to this hotel 20 times in the last 5 years, my wife's family lives near by. The physical appearance, while not special, always appears new and well kept. The grounds and interior are worthy of a Four Seasons hotel. Sadly, the same cannot be said about the majority of the staff. On our last trip we were traveling with a baby and arrived at 1 pm, the room was not ready and the baby was tired, so our only option was to wait in the lobby. No one offered us a drink and when our room was finally ready, they forgot to set up the room for a baby, which was prerquested. The most frustrating part of my stay was the valet. Every time I called down to get my car, 6 different times, I was placed on hold and the call was then forwarded to a different department in the hotel,. I hope it is a phone issue, because it appears that the hotel is very understaffed. When we first arrived, I approached the concierge, who has having a conversation with someone who was obviously her friend. After waiting awhile, she said "can a help you with a QUICK QUESTION?", in other words saying to me, don't take to long I want to get back to talking with my friend. I understand that the prices for this four seasons are well below the average, but if you are not going to staff and train the hotel like a normal four seasons, then it should not carry the Four Seasons name, it is tarnishing the brands image.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CDUB212121
Asrhodes, Front Office Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for the feedback. As a loyal and frequent traveler to Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village we appreciate your willingness to share your comments. I was particularly disappointed to learn that after waiting for your room our team missed the infant's needs for a crib and the extras we offer. Being a parent of small ones too I know first hand the frustration this presents. Please know your comments have been discussed with each and every staff member about the value to recognize parents and their needs whether they ask in advance (as in your case) or neglect to inform us. What makes us the hotel you've come to trust and expect is that we often think of your needs in advance of asking.

Please let us know when your next travel plans bring you back to the area. We would definitely like to reestablish your confidence in our services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

Just returned from a business conference. I did not have time to sample any of the spa or pool functions, but the place was spotless, extremely well kept.

The Good:
- very elegant and well kept hotel
- food was delightfully tasty and healthy
- service was spectacular
- conference rooms were comfortable
- LCD tv in the washroom so you can watch CNN while you shave...nice touch

The Bad:
- a little pricey, accomodation and anything purchased was on the high end of the scale ($5 USD for a small glass of orange juice...really???)

The Ugly:
- The only thing that really bothered me was the location, there is really nothing in the area, cabs are also tough to come by

For business purposes this fit the mold, but if you're looking for a vacation spot, I don't know if I'd recommend this place just for the location, it's not ideal. It's about a 1 hr North west of LAX, 45 mins north of Malibu....it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I've stayed here several times since 2007. They must have a great General Manger because the hotel is run as a Four Seasons Should be. Its a short trip from LA and you still feel like you've gotten "out of town". Great spot for a fun romantic and relaxing weekend at a pretty decent price. Check the Special offers they have an awesome double the fun package!!

This location has always provided the high service level and luxury you expect from a Four Seasons and is really the very essence of Four Seasons chain of luxury hotels. I will continue to come back again and again, and will make sure to update you all on my stays.

Room Tip: "Double the Fun Package"!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Although normally a little pricey managed to get a 2 night deal on last minute.com
Upon arrival self-parking is conveniently located just a short walk from the entrance. Valet / Door staff couldnt move quick enough to open the door and we were instantly greeted by the polite, friendly and smart reception staff. Check-in was quick and simple.
The room was very clean and neat and the standed of service from housekeeping was fantastic.
Room service was equally as impressive and the food quality fantastic! (try the steak!!)
The pools & spar area were impressive, very and tidy and well looked after.
Overall a very impressive hotel. The 5* factor was the personal touch from the staff, greeting guests by name and running to collect cars for the valet service!
The location is a little out of LA however within short driving distance of Malibu. The area is upmarket and appears rather respectable with amineties such as a 7eleven close by.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

Upgraded to the presidential suite at check-in and got a connecting room for the kids as well. INCREDIBLE suite and the main bathroom was almost as large as a regular guest room. First time I heard the wife saying that the suite may be too big...Only downside is doing the 100 yard dash through the gigantic living room, formal dining room (seating for 12), AND the study (iMac with free internet) when the kids woke up at night (monitor). There was a kitchenette with fridge/microwave as well. Master suite also had a dry sauna and a treadmill. Kids loved gathering around the fireplace and reading/family time at night. The hotel is very family/kid friendly and provided bed rails, cribs, and kids robes/bath amenities. Staff was incredible, never intrusive and always polite.

Enjoyed Easter Egg hunt, which was free for hotel guests and Brunch guests. Probably 100 kids cleaned the lawn of eggs in 1 minute flat. Pictures with Easter Bunny and arts and crafts were a big hit. Perhaps in the future, there could be a little better policy...some kids brought huge baskets or used big plastic bags and filled them to the brim. There was a separate lawn for kids 3 years or less (nice touch), but still saw several kids with a few to no eggs, while some walked off with what appeared to be hundreds in their basket. We shared some of ours with a little girl who was crying because she got so few eggs.

There are 2 pools at this facility, the adult/quiet pool at the spa (per wife...INCREDIBLE), as well as the indoor/family pool. If you desire peace and silence, please goto the adult pool. Some grumpy old man was upset that my 2 year old was making noise and told me that I need to "better control her so she does not make noise and bother people". He even called and complaining to management...who told him (as did I) that...this is the family pool...and to please goto the adult pool if you dont like to deal with kids. Too bad he did not stay another 5 minutes, when another party of 5 kids showed up and was screaming at the top of their lungs! Oh well, just because one stays at a classy hotel does not mean everyone there has class. I apprecitated the magagement's handling of the situaion.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Asrhodes, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Thank you for the thoughtful feedback! We are delighted that you had the chance to take part in our annual Easter festivities, and equally pleased that you and your family were able to enjoy some of our kid-friendly amenities throughout the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

We have a corporate account here, and I couldn't be happier about it. The staff is friendly and the rooms are beautiful. I found them all to be immaculately clean and wonderfully comfortable. I actually look forward to my next business trip out there just so I can stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

Everything you would expect from a Four Seasons property.

The location is unexpected - taking the place of a former office building off of Westlake Dr., the building still looks industrial on the outside. The inside however, is exquisite. From the well manicured grounds to the rooms, I was in awe of the sheer elegance.

Rooms are large and comfortable. My favorite? The bath tub was HUGE and had a decent sized flat screen TV for your viewing pleasure. The bed and pillows were fluffy and oh so wonderful to sleep in. Ask for a fountain view - very relaxing! The fitness center and pool are ridiculous (in a good way), as are the bars/restaurants.

My stay was for business purposes, but would love to come back for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Asrhodes, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon, either for business or pleasure (or both)!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake Village
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 5 in Malibu

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village? Share your experiences!