“Worst Studio 6 Experience Ever”
Review of Travelodge Willows

Travelodge Willows
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Willows
Reviewed 26 December 2014

Do not stay here if at all possible, especially if you're traveling as a family with children. We booked this room because of the low price ($46 after taxes), and convenience, but because of our dissatisfaction with the one-night stay, and fear for our safety, we canceled our second stay a week later. We should have paid an extra $10 or so for a different location. We arrived at 2am and were exhausted after a 9-hour drive, so we just wanted a bed to sleep on at that point. There was no one working at the front desk at that time, so we had to obtain a room key from the nearby Baymont Inn. There was no toilet paper in the room and several rooms had broken windows and broken doors. It was impossible to have the heater or cool air on because one of the beds was right-up against the heating/conditioning unit, completely blowing the curtains in our face, and it appeared to be a fire hazard. There were a couple dead fruit flies on the wall and the second bed. Some cabinets in the "kitchen" had handles with missing screws, so the handles were not attached properly. We would have thought the "kitchen" may have dishes or pans, but there was nothing, including no paper towels. The room next to us had broken windows and doors (which we did not notice upon arrival because it was pitch dark). A lady around 5am knocked on our door and said she was staying with a friend in such-and-such room number and that she was locked out. Our dog started barking, then the lady said she was sorry to disturb us and our dog, and we didn't hear from her again. We called the room number she gave us, and the lady that answered said there was no "friend" staying with them. When we woke-up, there was a cup of noodles on the ground outside our door, so one can only assume there was a transient or transients staying next door because the window and door was broken (actually no door handle was attached whatsoever). Again, there are other rooms at this location with broken windows and broken doors. We told the front office this when we checked out, and she admitted some of the rooms are better than others at this location.

Room Tip: Only arrive when someone is working at the front desk and ask them for a room where nearby rooms do...
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank youngmama2003
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Willows

Reviewed 27 November 2014

i've stayed there many times. it's inexpensive. as many other people have commented, maid service is atrocious. in further, all the times i was there, the maid staff had no comprehension of English (or at least feigned so). At times, some of the rooms are utterly filthy, and i've had to change rooms. it's common for rooms to lack amenities, as in fridges, microwaves, blowdryers, alarm clocks, and even toilet paper and working light bulbs! the front desk people are always very nice. there swimming pool , for all practical purposes, is inoperable. they really shouldn't list the site as having a pool. mold is common -so illegal! i've stopped staying there. there are other motels in the immediate area with comparable pricing with excellent services and amenities. and yes, they have there share of welfare recipients who stay there too, month by month -not that there's anything wrong with that. they are trying to renovate the rooms, yet in the three months i would intermittently stay there, i had come to believe they take two steps forward and three steps backwards in keeping up on this motel. it needs to be better managed. they need competent maid and maintenance staff, esp maid staff. it's sad, since the owners are very nice people. i gave them a chance. i don't bother to stay there anymore. i wish them well, as they are obviously good people. still, this is a business, and they need to work on there business model.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2014

IF YOU ARRIVE HERE BY ACCIDENT, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. My wife and I made a reservation for the Studio 6 Willows, CA Extended Stay. We arrived as the sun was going town and we were tired. We checked into a No-Smoking room with a king sized bed. It was obviously a smoking room and smelled like an old leather shoe. So we returned to the office. The second room also smelled like a smoking room and obviously needed to be painted and a large overhaul of the room was needed. Upon entering the third room it smelled like a musty rat hole. House keeping must have their hands tied by administration or they are blind and deaf. This is not a place most should be working! The hardware from a TV that was bolted to the desk 10 years ago was still there. Has anybody noticed a problem or don't they care? The TV would not start with the clicker or directly from the button on the television. None of the lights would go on from the door switches in any of the rooms. In fact this was the case in all three rooms. It was spooky. We searched around the room in the dark for a light that would turn on. Now these rooms were supposed to have kitchens. Guess again. Not to be found. The website says, "All of our studios feature a comfortable sleeping area and fully equipped kitchens." Are you kidding? NO! As we left the third room we noticed that the door lock was not working. In fact anybody could walk into the room without a key. If administration from Motel 6 happens to read this review I would love to talk with them. Not only did they not leave the light on but it was off or disconnected in all three of the rooms. In all of the years we have stayed in Motel 6 this this hits the bottom of the bucket. I would guess that the bottom of the bucket was missing. Please don't even consider stopping here. It does not live up to the Motel 6 name and is a disgrace to the motel industry. The blacktop needs help. If they decide to put a million into this motel please also resurface the blacktop. The holes in the walls from where the towel racks used to be 10 years ago are still there. Really this place needs to be torn down. We will never return here.

Room Tip: Run, Run, Run from this motel. You cannot find as motel in worse repair. Safety is an issue. When...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ed258536
6Team, Brand Experience Team member at Travelodge Willows, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. We do accommodate our smoking guests with assigned smoking rooms and are sorry you experienced dissatisfaction with the concerns you describe. Please know the conditions you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2014

My wife and I arrived and talked to a nice person at check in, Nicole. Went to room. Light switch at the door was inoperable. I found out the lamp was unplugged, so I plugged it in only to find the bulb was burned out. I then discovered no toilet paper in room. I called the front desk and reported no toilet paper, and was asked if I would walk down to the Baymont motel and get a roll from there. I asked if she was serious. She was! I couldn't believe there was such a necessary item missing. Nicole said she would attempt to get housekeeping to bring us some, and would call back if unsuccessful. I never heard from her again. The price was cheap, but really?

The only paper in the room was a Gideon Bible, no TV listings, nothing else. We couldn't find what type of TV service was provided, and had no idea of the channels available. We gave up and went to bed early. We awoke and decided to go down the street and get coffee as we had some time to kill before we continued our trip home. When we returned to the motel at a about 8:30am, the door was open and a maid was stripping the bed. I told her we hadn't checked out and showed her the room key cards. She spoke no English, callled someone on a cell phone and left, leaving the door open. We went into the room and turned on the TV, and it was no longer working. We left in utter disgust, I stopped by the office and voiced my frustration to the gentleman. He didn't even apologize, just said he'd talk to the maid. Oh well, I will NEVER stop there again and will tell anyone who may be driving to Oregon for a visit to bypass this motel forever. I had stayed at this location about 25 years ago, it was the Golden Pheasant and we had a nice stay. The furnishings, the sticking front door and the TV appeared to be from that long ago time.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here a couple weeks ago. This is everything I included in the e-mail survey about my stay:

*There was mold on the walls.
*The toilet flush chain was broken, so to flush the toilet I had to open the sump and use a clothes hanger.
*The room was not clean. Hair, dirt, and crumbs were on the floor throughout the room. The window looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Stains were in various places on the walls, including what I can only assume were the remains of someone's diarrhea explosion on the wall around the toilet.
*Drawers and cupboards were misaligned and some did not open or close as a result. One cupboard had a detached handle.
*The lighting was green and purple, and not because of the wall color. The actual light from the bulbs was green and purple.
*Someone else had the key to my room and tried entering multiple times after midnight while I was asleep. In the morning, housekeeping also tried entering multiple times.
*The fire extinguisher outside my room was missing.
*There was exposed cable wire sticking out of the wall, and a cable router not connected to anything was just sitting on the desk.
*The TV was set up in front of a wall mirror.
*Water pressure in the bathroom sink was so strong that the water just sprayed everywhere.
*There were random holes in the walls, various misalignments and gaps in trim pieces, and the shower walls were both stained and had leftover paste of some sort on them.
*The air conditioner blew the curtains open. There were no blinds on the window. I used the cable router to keep the curtains closed.
*The air conditioner had no fan setting, so once the compressor turned off the whole unit turned off. Having no continuous fan option for white noise (or air circulation) made outside noises more noticeable.
*Furniture was skuffed and felt sticky.
*For some reason the alarm clock was unplugged.
*Conversations outside the room were clearly audible.
*The mattress was one of the hardest I have ever encountered and was like sleeping on a shelf.
*During check-in, the attendant asked how I'd gotten the 7-day rate for a 1-night stay. Then she asked if I'd originally said I was staying for 7 days to get that rate. No. I did not lie to get a lower rate. The rate I paid was what the website advertised.

Room Tip: The best rooms are those at other hotels.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Guest0814
6Team, Brand Experience Team member at Travelodge Willows, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest, We appreciate your in-depth feedback. Please know the issues you describe are exceptions to our guest commitment and as such, we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant visit. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations at 1-855-787-9864 to further address your recent stay, record the details of your visit and help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I have been going to Willows for 15 years. It was a Best Western the first few trips. It was terrific then. We always stay for 4-5 nights. The rooms were clean and the hotel was very well taken care of with good house keeping. Both pools were open. Buffet breakfast at the restaurant on the grounds

At some point it became a Travel Lodge. It was still nice but one of the pools was closed down at some point. Not a big deal. They restaurant changed owners and didn't provide the buffet breakfast any longer. The hotel did provide a continental breakfast. Then it became Studio 6 Extended stay. It was OK at first. However, the past three years the hotel has gone down hill quickly.

In 2012 they were remodeling some of the units to make them into room for extended visits with hardwood floors, kitchenettes, etc.. We suffered through the construction which wasn't as bad as it could have been. We still I great time. One of the reasons we like this place is because of the outdoor pool, the continental breakfast, and the patios outside the rooms.

In 2013 the construction was only partially done and the pool wasn't working and they didn't provide the continental breakfast any longer. However, they did allow us to go next door and to the Baymont (same owner). We always stay in the same room so we have seen how it has deteriorated over the years. We really considered not going back in 2014.

We decided to give it one more try this year. My husband several times in the 2 weeks prior to our arrival on June 11th to make sure the pool would be working. The first call he was told it would be working. Each call after that he was given different reasons why it wasn't working yet but it would be by the time we arrived. The last two calls he was told that it was being painted and should be dried and ready by our arrival and then the last time was told the pump wasn't working so it probably wouldn't be working.

We went anyway. The place has gone down hill even more since 2013. Of the rooms that had been remodeled there were several occupants that were on section 8 and staying for the 28 days allowed. Of the rest of the rooms many were torn up inside without door knobs and locks. When we arrived in our room the maintenance guy was working on the air conditioner. He thought he had it working. We told that we could check out a different room. We did so and found that the room was 2 queens instead of a king and my husband found a cigarette butt behind the dresser. We didn't stay in that room but went back to ours. We spent a very warm night in the room and the next day we asked them to change out the air conditioner, which they gladly did for us. The housekeeping wasn't to good either so we decided that we wouldn't use housekeeping because we didn't want them in our room while we were gone. Over all we didn't feel as safe in this hotel. And they made my husband pay to go next door for the breakfast. It was only $10 for 4 mornings but still it's the principle of the thing. The lady at the Baymont even told my husband that Studio 6 Extended stay wasn't supposed to do that (she did let him eat). So the communication between the two wasn't good. I will say that the grounds are still very nice, but unfortunately, the rooms are not.

We love the little town of Willows. We have made some friends there through the years. We love the park, the quietness, and the lack of traffic. We love to walk and we feel safe walking around this town. We did have a relaxed and good time being together. With that being said, 2014 is our last trip to Willows. There isn't another hotel in town that offers what we want which is both the outdoor pool AND the patio right outside the room. We are bummed and very sad.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend this hotel any more.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DMF1955
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The pool currently has no water, Wi Fi was a joke. Never connected. Office staff nice helpful. Other staff kinda sketchy. Do not leave valuables! Cheaper to stay else where we ended up here because the usual place was sold out

• Stayed: May 2014