“Set Your Expectatations”

Add it.
MyHandleBar
Ranked #31 of 38 Tours in Boulder
Reviewed September 17, 2014

I recently took the "My Handle Bar" "bar crawl" 2 hour “tour” with 7 friends, all women in their 50's, for a birthday celebration. http://www.myhandlebar.com/
We had a lot of fun that evening. However, I am writing this to adjust your expectations, if you are considering doing the same, as I have adjusted my own since our evening riding My Handle Bar.
First, you should be aware that the "bike" is a very heavy former farm vehicle and the only source of locomotion is the pedalers (you). The bike holds 16 people but there is room for only 10 pedalers. Understand, the "driver" provided by My Handle Bar does no pedaling and there is no back up motor. The driver only steers and brakes. The bike is very hard to pedal. And if there are people who are not pedaling, they are just adding weight to a very heavy and hard to maneuver vehicle. This was not an easy ride. Great workout, but not easy and not for everyone. FYI
Second, the cost for 2 hours is $320 plus tip. Your $320+ pays only for the joy of pedaling. No food, no drink, no music (the system was broken), no TOUR. Our driver simply asked us where we wanted to go. Not “We are going to x and y.” But “Where to, ladies?” The website says "tour." We were hoping to get a tour and maybe some witty banter from our tour guide (think: Duck Tours). Didn’t happen.
Music? I brought a playlist. We could have had a group sing-a-long with no music if we wished. We were busy panting.
Next, I had thought, based on the website, that we would stop at three restaurants/bars along the way. The website says, "We have partnered with some amazing bars in Boulder that give our riders special deals!" (The small print indicates that might have meant $5 Jameson at Conor O'Neill's.) I thought the $320 would include one drink (or a credit to be used) at each of the three stops. Otherwise, what was $320 paying for? I was wrong. $320+ paid for pedaling and waving, which are fun activities but also available without the premium. No drinks or food included.
To be fair, I enjoyed the camaraderie and the work out. This group of old friends always has fun. But somehow I felt we didn't get our money's worth or our expectations met. So if you decide to book it, be sure you know what you are getting ahead of time. A cool ride powered by you.

4  Thank Outdoorexplorer78
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I bought tickets for my husband for his birthday. He likes drinking, but we hardly ever do pub crawls anymore, so I thought this would be a fun experience. We brought along some friends and none of us really knew what to expect.

You get on this large train-car looking thing, and you can choose to help move the car by getting on one of the pedal-seats. All but one of us pedaled (you have to be 5'2" to pedal--FYI). We got to go to several different bars, but the main fun was getting to wave to people on the streets and mostly just doing something totally new. I would have liked it even more if we could have drank while on the car, which you can't do in Colorado. :(

The normal price is a little expensive for the service, so I would recommend trying to get a group price. There was a group of 50-year-olds who were on the car at the same time, and they seemed to like it even more than we did, so I don't think you have to be young to enjoy it!

3  Thank karacherith