“Good food”

Khow Thai
Ranked #218 of 593 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed April 6, 2016

Labeling a Thai restaurant in North America "average" is both a compliment and damning. The standard for Thai food here is pretty dang high, in my experience, and this place offers very good Thai fare.

That said, the idea I'm not offered the opportunity to enjoy a Singh Ha or any other beer with my Thai meal borders on offensive to the serious gourmand in me. Thai food without beer is like Thanksgiving dinner without turkey.

One other interesting item was my curry. I probably order Thai curry three to five times a year, At Khow Thai I ordered some special curry at the bottom of the curry menu, just to see what it was. What I got was very tasty and acceptable, but quite different from any other Thai curry in my experience.

Thai curries have generally thick or creamy sauces, most often flavored with coconut. This sauce was like bullion; anise dominant, flavorful, and interesting, but unlike any Thai curry in my experience.

As a committed alcoholic, I'll try other Thai places in Boulder before I go back here, but if drinking water or coke with Thai food is OK for you, this place offers quite acceptable Thai fare.

1  Thank SkykomishBob

Reviewed February 26, 2016 via mobile

The parking lot is awkward and super cramped - just like the tables inside, set at angles around a curved wall that wedges people in when they sit on one side. The interior in general is shabby, dated, cheap and a little unkempt.

The service was slow even though the small restaurant wasn't full.

The food was surprisingly average, if not over salted.

Friendly service, but annoying smug Boulder clientele.

Know Thai is not BAD, but it's perfectly middle of the road with some annoying quirks. I don't get the rave reviews - but go figure. Boulder has consistently shown that as a city they don't "get" restaurants.

Here's a tip Boulder - it's about the food, service and atmosphere - not quirkiness, themes and gimmicks, or dirty rusticness.

Not a horrible place if you're stuck on Broadway somehow, but if you want a great Thai experience, Aloy is only a few blocks away.

Reviewed November 29, 2015

By far the worst Thai food we've ever had, anywhere in the world (and we've eaten it all over, including in Thailand). We got takeout here for a change because it has won "Best of Boulder" on many occasions. Firstly, all food was pretty cold by the time if arrived - that which did even arrive (one dish was missing). The Pad Thai was white and flavorless. We also ordered beef massaman curry and duck red curry. These should be completely different, but both had exactly the same sauce - a pale and thin coconut milk with barely any spice or flavor. The beef was obviously not cooked in the sauce - it was dry and tasteless. The duck was just soggy congealed skin, and equally without flavor. They even messed up the brown rice which was stodgy. How this can win Best of Boulder, I have no idea. We've lived here 10 years and have eaten in every Thai restaurant. This should win the Worst of Boulder...

Reviewed October 18, 2015

It may have been a bad night. Usually it was a reliable Thai food place. This time I was rather disappointed. The chicken dish was too salty and the chicken was undercooked and rubbery. Quite disappointing. It is a local place for us so I would hate to give up on it. The service is friendly but the food needs improvement. Please, do work on it.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

incredible authentic food good place to relax during lunch break. I REALLY ENJOYED BEING HERE.I HOPE TO GET BACK.