“You will need patience if you stay here!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
“You will need patience if you stay here!!!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I must admit that my first impression was NOT good. The signage out front is not good and can be confusing to find the entrance or the garage. When I checked in, I asked for luggage assistance since there are about 10 steps to get to the main level, no ramp or elevator at the front door. I waited patiently for assistance and after a bit of time lugged my own luggage down to the elevator out by parking. Not a good way to start my vacation! My "mountain view" room was spacious and updated, although the bathroom was very small. My impression was that the staff is very anxious to help. However, there just isn't enough staff for this type of property (only 1 bellman at the front door). The food was decent but again, the wait staff was young and not completely up to speed. It is being renovated so the tired hallways should be addressed soon. And the elevator situation is a problem, far from the lobby and SLOW. The hotel was serviceable so long as you have patience. I would give them a second chance if they get some additional staff and then train them better. We did rent skis at the hotel and that went very smoothly. They also allow pets which can be good and bad.

Room Tip: Stay on floor 6 or below. Use the dehumidifier.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lafmac
Whitney T, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback on our signage and service and training of our staff. We take your feedback seriously and use it to look for ways that we can improve and enhance our guests experience. We would love to welcome you back for a second chance after our restaurant and hallway renovations this spring. Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss your stay further or if there is anything that we could help you with in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 April 2012

If you're missing college dorm and/or fraternity life, check in at this hotel. I agree with a previous reviewer about no one to meet me at the curb with my car, and so self-park really is the only option.The facilities are outdated, and the quiet hours are not enforced. We booked a room with a view and the first time I called for enforcement of quiet hours, I was told we could change our room. I told the front desk we didn't come here to party, and what could they do to make it quieter? Then they informed me that they didn't have any with a view or a king size bed. I told them that the loud party should be the one to move, and there was no response. They informed me the party was checking out the next morning. I thought we were good, but then again at 7:30 the next morning, the partiers were up and ready to rip! Once they checked out, again, I thought we were in the clear. Until 3am the next morning. There was no such thing as a good nights' sleep.

The room itself was sub-par, more like what I would imagine a motel to be. I don't really understand how Hilton can have their name on this property. The sink faucet handle was coming out of the hole in the bathroom. The fixtures in the mini-bar were loose as well. The wallpaper was peeling away from the wall near the window, and the window felt like it would fall out of the building at any minute.
The walls are so paper-thin we could hear people sneezing.

I've never stayed in such an outdated and loud place. I've never had such complacent front desk service.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you're partying all night and sleeping a little during the day.
1 Thank WorldClassTraveler8
DavidSudduth, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
We apologize for the noise disruptions during your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge. We have carefully reviewed our noise and security complaints and take this unusual circumstance very seriously. We will continue to work towards a proactive approach to noise and attend to all disturbances immediately.

We are also sorry that you had some disappointments with the condition of your room. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff have started a thorough inspection of all guestrooms this month. This spring we will be renovating the guestrooms hallways with new carpet, wall treatment, paint and artwork.
Elk Grove Village
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Doubletree Breckenridge is conveniently located near Peak 9 chairlifts and has a great ski rental store off the lobby. The rooms are nicely appointed and the hot tub/pool/fitness area is decent. Overall an acceptable "no frills" place to stay for a few days of skiing. We were excited to learn our original room had a balcony with mountain views -- until we realized it was at the roof line with a large air conditioning unit blocking our view and beer cans, cigarettes and other garbage just off the balcony. When we asked to be moved to a comparable room without the junk and obstructed view we were put in a room facing the interior with no balcony. After several trips back to the desk (once because they took the key from our first room before we moved our items out to the replacement room) we were told that was the only room available in the hotel and that there were no balconies on floor 6 where we had been moved (which was untrue). Later that evening we were also told by another staff person the hotel had low occupancy due to the warm weather and numerous cancellations. We were there midweek (Tues, Wed, Thurs) when it wasn't very busy. The staff at the front desk were young and friendly but not interested in taking steps to ensure the guest experience was enjoyable. Not even an extra cookie or comp breakfast to make up for the room disappointment. As a frequent business traveler, I have come to expect better from Hilton properties. Probably better options available in Breckenridge.

1 Thank Steve S
BDL
Reviewed 30 March 2012

First off, phenomenal location and beds. This hotel is a decent value for the location, but the property desperately needs a makeover and the staff deserves some much needed training. Everyone speaks the truth when they say this hotel has the worlds slowest elevator. The housekeeping staff was also quite poor, and for the three nights we were there never removed the pile of dirty towels that continued to accumulate under the sink. That boggled my mind.

I was also at the hotel when the fire alarm was pulled on the 5th floor at around midnight. I realize this isn't the hotels fault, however, everyone was evacuated outside for approx 30 minutes, and the manager never sent a letter to guests apologizing and explaining what happened. I think it goes without saying that when an incident like this occurs, the manager should type up a simple explanation and slip it under all the doors. Just some information would have gone a long way there.

1 Thank cxw44
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Hotel is directly across the street from the peak 9 lift. Was very convenient for getting to the main street in Breckenridge. There is a free shuttle from the hotel to town but my friends and I never used it because the walk was not far at all and the weather was nice. The hotel needs some updating and is very basic right now but I believe they are working on that this year. The elevators are very slow so you are better off getting a room on a lower floor and using the stairs. The breakfast was very good and there was an chef making custom omelets which were delicious. The room was enormous and we had plenty of room for all our luggage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor to avoid the slow elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank megan m
Lyons, Colorado
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Although first impressions can be wrong, the repeated poor service and lack of customer focus emphasized that there are severe issues with the staff and their dedication at this Doubletree. The bell staff when you pull in the initial drive are severely under sized (meaning only 1 person if you are lucky); and, I was ignored by the only person there who went to the car which pulled in well after I arrived. The service went down hill from there. There is a choice to self park or concierge park; but, due to no one being available to help you park or with your luggage, it is not much of a choice, so self park it was. When you get to the parking garage, there are 0 luggage carts around to help you get the luggage to your room. It took 3 trips to get the luggage to the room; and, the staff seemed surprised when I mentioned that there were no carts available (but maybe they weren't). When I finally got settled in the room there was supposed to be complementary internet service; but, when I got connected it was at a response speed close to that of dial up internet (page refreshes took minutes on simple urls). When I called the front desk to ask about this, I was told by Jake that it was due to there being
so many people in the hotel and that there was nothing that they could do. I could tell that my question was a major inconvience to him and that he could care less. He said that I could come all the way to the lobby and try but that it may not be better. I tried the connection very early the next morning when not many people would have been up and the speed issue was still a problem. The very few positive experiences at the hotel were Heyley at the front desk who was very considerate and really tried to help and Grant with the hotel shuttle. However, the overall poor service was not at all what would be expected at a Hilton property at the price paid for the room.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the Aspen tower. one of the few places where it is good to use the ski lockers as...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank waller_ski
Whitney T, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced. We take your suggestions seriously and will look into the concerns addressed to better service our guests in the future.

We have heard your request and are currently working on getting an upgrade to our internet service. This system will be in place by summer and will increase our bandwidth 20 times. After this significant improvement we will have much faster service.

Thank you for letting our management staff know about the positive interactions with Hailey and Grant. We have thanked them for their wonderful guest service!
SanAntonio
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our family of 3 had a large room with 2 queens plus extra space for a portable bed. Having a frig was nice. My only complaint is the elevator is far from the lobby. Breakfast buffet was very good. Great location!

1 Thank ShootingGirl