“An awful experience”

Black Forest Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 28 July 2015

I do not write reviews if I have negative things to say but this establishment was so bad that I am writing one.
We arrived and were shown into the reception area/ office which looked like it was out of a hoarder's TV show. There were piles of papers everywhere and all sorts of things on the floor and desk. You could not see any furniture save for a desk chair.
We dropped our bags in our designated space, "The Barn Loft", and then left for the entire day, hiking.
We were told there was a full kitchen, so we went grocery shopping before we came back to the cabin with the intention of cooking pasta for dinner. We found a 6" saucepan and a 9" skillet- no colander, no pot to cook pasta in. But we made the best of it and used both pans to cook the pasta in.
But things kept getting worse: We encountered the most bizarre accommodations! Dingy furniture, all different, from being thrown all together, dingy curtains, and dirty, old carpeting. There were various carpet mats throughout covering the original carpets of which there were a variety over the floors. There were multiple areas of carpet that were so severely damaged in multiple areas to the extent that there were stiff plastic bristles at the entry to the kitchen where the carpet was worn full thickness. The bristles hurt our feet as we went into the kitchen and so we took one of the floor mats from another area to cover this area. Under the floor mat we took was a large red stain - we did not pick up any of the other mats for fear of what we would see.
There were a variety of lamps all very old (1970's) and we switched out light bulbs for the
ones that were not working but which we needed to see the rooms at night. Other light fixtures were not even working.
There was supposed to be WiFi, which the owner stated was "not working", even after she tried to get it to work. The phone line was also dead.
But we ignored all of this and laughed about it because we were on vacation and had little stress.
At bedtime we saw how bizarre the rooms were with cut-out areas in the wall inside our unit between sleeping areas that were covered with dingy curtains.
In the morning I went to make coffee and there was a part missing from the machine so I went without it.
I talked to the owner before we left for the day about no appropriate pots and pans, a missing part for the coffee machine, the red stain in the carpet, the plastic bristles from the worn carpet that we attempted to cover with the mat, a dead land line phone, and no WiFi.
She informed me that she had some pot/pans somewhere else that she would bring, and another coffee maker that we could use.
We went away for the entire day hiking again.
We returned and the large red stain on the carpet had been removed- the owner told us it was rouge that had spilled on the floor and she had brought a working coffee machine and the pots/pans.
But here is what made us leave running the second night (we were to stay 3 nights):
I threw some laundry into the washer downstairs under our unit, and saw a rodent run across the stairs.
That was the stick that broke the camel's back for us.
We left and had to find accommodations at 7:00 o'clock at night on a night where there was a large athletic event in town and where hotel rooms were full. We found one after our third attempt. (The owner of the Black Forest refunded my money- but there was so much out of wack with the place, and the difficult attempt at finding other lodging at night, that this made no difference.)
So, as I said, I do not write negative reviews, but this stay takes the cake!
I wish I had taken photos of the place but we left so abruptly after seeing the rodent!

Room Tip: No Room- It was an abomination!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
9  Thank Mia250
Jennifer A, Owner at Black Forest Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2017

I am sorry so for your past experiences during what should have been a wonderful vacation. I do realize this review is older, but as the new owner I wanted to take a minute to respond. We purchased this B&B 2 months ago, and haven't stopped remodeling and cleaning since that day. We are a family owned, operated, and repaired business.
Each cabin has new furniture, beds, kitchen utensils, and we have thrown out all the floor mats! :)

We have changed the name and phone number-and I hope you will consider coming back to give us a chance.

Please consider giving us a call: 800.401.2856
Email: blackforestlodgellc@icloud.com
Facebook: Black Forest Lodge (Colorado Springs)
Website: blackforestbb.com

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Black Forest Bed and Breakfast was the perfect venue for our rustic wedding! We rented the entire property for the weekend so that our bridal party was nearby and easy to find. The rooms were very homey and clean, and I loved that many of the rooms have their own kitchens.

Susie was very accommodating for the wedding- she let us have the wedding of our dreams on a budget. We hired our own caterers (2 food trucks), photographer, and DJ. We also brought our own alcohol, which saved a ton of money. Susie provided the tables, chairs, and table clothes, so we didn't have to rent any furniture.

We would recommend anyone planning an outdoor rustic wedding to consider the Black Forest Bed and Breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erin M
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place was fabulous for our family gathering. We held a family reunion/anniversary party for 3 days and it couldn't have been better. We had 9 families- 42 people total who stayed comfortably. It had a more rustic feel in the cabins and lodge, but all the conveniences of a hotel. The kids were able to run around freely without any worries as it was tucked away and very private. The setting was beautiful and perfect for our large party or a wedding. With full kitchens in the cabins and lodge, we were able to eat many meals together. Baby goats and geese only added to the experience. The owner Susie was receptive and easy to work with. She was very helpful in our planning ahead of time. It couldn't have turned out more perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Staying here for a long term and have no issues at all. The place is very much as described, with great views, quiet and peaceful away from the hustle of the city, which is just a short 10 minutes away. Rustic style lodging cabins and lodge. If you truly need a place to clear your brain form the daily grind this is perfect, even in winter with the snow falling makes it like a post card. Susan is very helpful and extremely accommodating in her ownership. Replies to wants and needs are met with a smile and a direct response which is greatly appreciated. Highly recommend for a business traveler or family or just to get away for the weekend. All citified amenities are close by, lol...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank madbeacher2009
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were entranced with our one night stay and wished we could stay longer. We had the Ark, a spacious apartment with living room, kitchen and bath and a king sized bed. Everything was meticulously arranged and the ark decor had an amazing range. Lovely breakfast brought to us the night before as we planned to leave early. This would be a wonderful place to hold a wedding or other special event. We loved it!!

Room Tip: The Ark is the top of the line room. I would be happy to stay in any of them, though.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed two nights with a large family group (4 siblings, spouses, and kids) while we explored the Colorado Springs area. We rented the Ark, and the rest of our party was in the Loft, and the His and Hers rooms, so each group had their own space, and we also had community space to get together. It was perfect for our needs.

The rooms were clean and comfortable with more than enough space for all of us, and the kids loved the playset and outdoor areas. My son had fun counting all of the Noah's Ark artifacts in the house! The kitchen was fully stocked with a dishwasher, which was a nice bonus. I brought my own dish soap, and I should have taken a sponge as well. The microwave wasn't working, but we notified the owner and she said she would replace it. The coffee maker needed a good cleaning as well, so we used the one in the loft instead.

We also didn't get breakfast like we thought, since they are considered vacation rentals, but fortunately we have multiple food allergies in our group, so we had planned accordingly and packed plenty of food. The owner is on-site and very helpful. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I needed this vacation! Let me tell you this place was amazing! this was a family trip and I don't know who enjoyed it more, myself or my family. Anyways we all had a blast. One of the best trips I have ever took with my family.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family