“USE TEN TIMES MORE BUG SPRAY THAN YOU THINK YOU'LL NEED”

Assateague Lighthouse
Reviewed August 19, 2017

Bathe in it. Bring a bottle with you. Slather it on you like it's going out of style. Do not say you weren't warned. We got to the door of the light house and there was a CLOUD of mosquitoes. They were noshing on people through their clothes. If you totally reek of Off, you should be ok.

Besides the mosquitoes which rivaled the size of the local ponies, the lighthouse was great. Incredible views and the volunteer below will school you on all things related to the lighthouse.

All reviews
"visitor center"
"mosquitoes"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2017

I had read previous reviews about using bug spray, so we brought some with us. That wasn't the entire issue, but, it was part of the problem.

We put deep woods Off, on and we still had bugs biting us. By the time we got to the lighthouse, there was a line out the door. A few people were up at the top, we had to wait until they came down. No issue with that.

What I did have an issue with is how brisk and unfriendly the person at the lighthouse actually was. After telling us that we had to wait, pretty rudely, explaining the reason, then, she asked who was a first time visitor to the island, really nicely. Then, when my husband and I said we were, she was VERY sugary sweet. So odd.

I decided that I didn't want to wait and there wasn't anything really to buy, so we left. I took some photos from the outside of the lighthouse and the back. There's a sweet memory marker out there, don't miss it. It's very touching.

All in all, not impressed with the lighthouse experience. The bugs are thick and well, the person that we were greeted by wasn't really nice in my opinion. I'd skip it if I could do it again. You're seriously not missing anything.

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

Although I didn't climb (my guy did), I had a delightful time with the volunteer at the base/in the tiny shop. What a cool guy! Made it special. The view was great without going to the top, though here's one from the "climber."

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Its a short mosquito dodging walk from the parking lot to this free admission attraction. Small children were able to make the walk up to the top. Could see horses and beach area. Unless your afraid of heights, its a must do.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Not really a lot to see as compared to other lighthouses, but its still nice. We did not go up inside because the line was long and the sun was brutal not to mention the bugs, but would love to at some point. You park in a lot and walk up, but the walk is not long and has a pretty decent path. The path is dirt/gravel and does have one small but kind of steep incline.