“150 anniversary this month!”

Assateague Lighthouse
Reviewed August 27, 2017

So cool to walk up the 175 steps (there are places to stop and rest) and see the two islands from the top! Staff was informative. Wear bug spray, cuz the short walk to it is very buggy. But the views are worth it!!!

1  Thank Deb M
in 8 reviews
"climb the stairs"
"degree view"
in 4 reviews
"short walk from the parking lot"
"worth the climb"
"take photos"
"well worth the visit"
"national park"

Reviewed August 19, 2017

Bathe in it. Bring a bottle with you. Slather it on you like it's going out of style. Do not say you weren't warned. We got to the door of the light house and there was a CLOUD of mosquitoes. They were noshing on people through their clothes. If you totally reek of Off, you should be ok.

Besides the mosquitoes which rivaled the size of the local ponies, the lighthouse was great. Incredible views and the volunteer below will school you on all things related to the lighthouse.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

I had read previous reviews about using bug spray, so we brought some with us. That wasn't the entire issue, but, it was part of the problem.

We put deep woods Off, on and we still had bugs biting us. By the time we got to the lighthouse, there was a line out the door. A few people were up at the top, we had to wait until they came down. No issue with that.

What I did have an issue with is how brisk and unfriendly the person at the lighthouse actually was. After telling us that we had to wait, pretty rudely, explaining the reason, then, she asked who was a first time visitor to the island, really nicely. Then, when my husband and I said we were, she was VERY sugary sweet. So odd.

I decided that I didn't want to wait and there wasn't anything really to buy, so we left. I took some photos from the outside of the lighthouse and the back. There's a sweet memory marker out there, don't miss it. It's very touching.

All in all, not impressed with the lighthouse experience. The bugs are thick and well, the person that we were greeted by wasn't really nice in my opinion. I'd skip it if I could do it again. You're seriously not missing anything.

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

Although I didn't climb (my guy did), I had a delightful time with the volunteer at the base/in the tiny shop. What a cool guy! Made it special. The view was great without going to the top, though here's one from the "climber."