“Beautiful view”

Assateague Lighthouse
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

My 2 daughters and my 6 year old granddaughter climbed up to the top. They said the view was amazing. The lighthouse is beautiful!

All reviews
"degree view"
in 5 reviews
"climb the stairs"
in 4 reviews
"short walk from the parking lot"
"worth the climb"
"interesting history"
"take photos"
"wallops island"

Reviewed April 26, 2018 via mobile

This is a great lighthouse. Parking is limited near the lighthouse but there is a visitor center in close proximity if the lot is full. It's a small trek to the lighthouse but a great climb to the top. Beware to save your hat before you get to the top, it gets very windy up there and highly likely you will loose it. The visitor center is well maintained and a great place to visit.!!

Reviewed April 20, 2018

It is really easy to find on the right hand side as you enter the Refuge. There is a parking spot with a trail that is about 1/2 mile to the lighthouse with a wooden bench if you get tired. Don't fret if you can't walk that far, there is another entrance a few feet down where you can just drive up to it(I found that out after I huffed & puffed it, bad back & knees)and park. Built in 1867, it has been painted recently, looks great. I liked the little memorial beside it too. There are also even more benches to sit & rest or even doze off listening to the wind and the birds. I went on a chilly, very windy day, April 2018. No crowds, it was very nice & peaceful. As you can see, it has alternating bands of red and white. I love lighthouses and try to see the ones that are near me all the time. I think this is my favorite one just because of the PONIES! I am horse/pony crazy my mom once told me.

Reviewed April 18, 2018

Lighthouse images are everywhere. I used to yawn when I saw Yet Another Lighthouse Calendar or Inspirational Poster.

Then I found myself crossing Tom's Cove in the dark.

I had been going to Assateague for years, backpacking, kayaking, snorkeling, beachcombing, and following wild ponies. I decided to do a two day backcountry paddle down the length of Assateague. After a very long second day of beating into a headwind, I rounded Chincoteague, into Tom's Cove at dusk, still needing to cross the cove to get to my truck. It was getting dark, and the only place I could rest was going to be underwater in an hour. I got back in the boat and paddled, with a compass course, an eye on the thin dark line of the beach, and waves hitting me broadside. For awhile, headlights on the beach gave me direction, then the beach closed and the cars went home and I was alone in the dark. I paddled and paddled, pulled up on a sandbar and rested (anchor down), then paddled again when the boat started rocking as the tide came up under it. To the north was where I needed to be, to the south was open sea, NASA, and, eventually, France. To check the compass I had to stop paddling, turn on the headlamp, and peer at it while the waves and wind shoved the boat the wrong direction.

At some point I realized the Assateague Light was just off my port side, going blink-blink...blink-blink...blink-blink...every five seconds. As long as I paddled with the Light at that particular place on my port, I was on course.

That Light has been an actual beacon in the dark, and an icon of one of my favorite places on the planet. I have endless photos of it in its weathered paint, and its shiny new daymark. Of the spiral stair, like the inside of a whelk shell, and the amazing panorama of the view from the top. I have pics of the fabulous Fresnell lens (in the museum). I even have old pics of the light room itself, though visitors are no longer allowed in the glass room enclosing the lights.

If you are anywhere near the island, see this lighthouse. It is a bit of history, still alive, still sending its beacon out 19 miles into the night.

The trail up to the light requires some mosquito repellent during the day (a water bottle doesn't hurt either) but is a short, pretty hike through sandy woods, with gorgeous photo ops as the light begins to appear above the trees. You should climb the light, even if you think you can't; there are landings to rest, with windows out into and over the woods and marsh and channel. The watchroom always contains a helpful lighthouse volunteer with in depth knowledge of the light. And you can walk onto the widow's walk, 140 feet up, and see from the mainland to the sea, photographing a fabulous panorama.

If you hike up the trail in the dark, swath yourself in clothing and mosquito repellent, but the journey is worth it to take some night shots, or simply stand under the great four spoked wheel of light turning across the sky.

1  Thank swordwhale